Sponsored By:

Opinion about my GTS build

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 09:55 AM
Selpo
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Woofman
It is unfortunate that Porsche chose to use the word "thermal" to describe common single pane tinted glass. I encountered this confusion in early Spring while I was discussing my Panamera build with my SA.

My local Porsche dealership apparently thinks that the double pane "Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass" option is of value since they specify it on at least some Cayenne that they order to carry in inventory. Both the Cayenne we test drove and the one we bought in August had this option. Is it worth it? All I know is that our Cayenne is almost immune from traffic and wind noise and that this is the first vehicle we've bought in a very long time that we're not going to have aftermarket tint installed on.

Will you miss it if you have never experienced it? I doubt it.
I agree, standard thermal glass is a misnomer. I am going to add the optional Acoustic and thermal insulated glass to my build- thanks again for the clarification
Old 11-14-2022, 09:57 AM
Selpo
Advanced

Originally Posted by rdboxster
You have a good point on using thermal. What does it really mean? UV blockage requires laminated glass at a minimum. I would suggest discussing with the dealer as the thermal noise reduction glass is well worth the cost. This thing is really quiet which is likely due to the glass. Sorry for adding to the confusion if it’s still an option item. Here is more info: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2021...401-26834.html
I agree! Will add it to the build- better value than the illuminated door sills!

Thank you!
Old 11-14-2022, 10:58 AM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 542 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by rdboxster
UV blockage requires laminated glass at a minimum.
Toyota started using single pane front side glass that blocked 99% of UV rays in the Lexus LS in the late 1990's. I was particularly sensitive to the announcement since I was driving an older Lexus LS at the time and had just undergone multiple painful surgeries for skin cancer on my left arm. I bought a 2000 LS400 with the UV blocking single pane glass and used it as my daily driver for 11 years.

Toyota eventually expanded the use of UV blocking single pane side glass to Toyota brand models but it blocked a lower percentage of UV rays. Here is a quote from a 2010 Toyota press release at https://www.captoyota.com/blog/2010/...ks-uv-rays.htm --> "Door windows, however, generally use single-piece tempered glass that is often instilled with UV-absorbing material to achieve approximately 89 per cent UV protection."

I'm only guessing that Porsche single pane glass has similar significant UV blocking built in.

I apologize for quoting a Toyota website on a Porsche forum.
The following users liked this post:
Selpo (11-14-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 11:01 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,606 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Nice build.

I won't comment too much on the personal cosmetic items, but it looks like you've built a baby Turbo GT. Should be quite nice. My only two thougths:

Not sure how the dark wood will look with the black / red interior. Have you seen it in person? I have not. Would probably consider dark aluminum (is that what GTS comes with standard) or carbon fiber.
Assistance package: I considered this but my wife didn't want HUD so then it made no sense. If you want HUD and Innodrive, then you essentially get night vision for free. But if you don't want one of those two, from other's experience, night vision isn't worth too much.

Otherwise, enjoy!
Old 11-14-2022, 11:39 AM
Selpo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Nice build.

I won't comment too much on the personal cosmetic items, but it looks like you've built a baby Turbo GT. Should be quite nice. My only two thougths:

Not sure how the dark wood will look with the black / red interior. Have you seen it in person? I have not. Would probably consider dark aluminum (is that what GTS comes with standard) or carbon fiber.
Assistance package: I considered this but my wife didn't want HUD so then it made no sense. If you want HUD and Innodrive, then you essentially get night vision for free. But if you don't want one of those two, from other's experience, night vision isn't worth too much.

Otherwise, enjoy!
Thank you.

Have not seen the wood/ interior combo in person but I do not like CF or Aluminum, so defaulted to Dark walnut. I am planning on meeting with my SA to go over the build and my choices in person.

Yes, I initially had the surround view, HUD and ACC with LKA separate but recently noticed that the assistance package will give me Night vision as well for the same price, so made the switch.

Appreciate your insight.
Old 11-14-2022, 01:52 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Woofman
Toyota started using single pane front side glass that blocked 99% of UV rays in the Lexus LS in the late 1990's. I was particularly sensitive to the announcement since I was driving an older Lexus LS at the time and had just undergone multiple painful surgeries for skin cancer on my left arm. I bought a 2000 LS400 with the UV blocking single pane glass and used it as my daily driver for 11 years.

Toyota eventually expanded the use of UV blocking single pane side glass to Toyota brand models but it blocked a lower percentage of UV rays. Here is a quote from a 2010 Toyota press release at https://www.captoyota.com/blog/2010/...ks-uv-rays.htm --> "Door windows, however, generally use single-piece tempered glass that is often instilled with UV-absorbing material to achieve approximately 89 per cent UV protection."

I'm only guessing that Porsche single pane glass has similar significant UV blocking built in.

I apologize for quoting a Toyota website on a Porsche forum.
I also have sensitivity to UVs due to different type of cancer. I was concerned about the Porsche glass in the 2016 GTS which only had privacy glass. I found someplace, can’t find it now, where to look for the standard window label to determine if it had UV protection. The 2016 did not have UV protective glass. I had the front windows tinted with film but never the back seat. Main reason why for selecting the glass option on the new GTS. The Toyota glass appears to have a special film applied to the interior side of the glass https://media.toyota.co.uk/new-toyot...cuts-uv-by-99/. It’s great the manufactures are stepping up to this as has been a major issue over the years. Also the lamented glass, especially the 5 layer process that Porsche uses, adds safety and security to the windows. OK…got the glass thing well discussed 🙂.
Old 11-14-2022, 01:57 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Selpo
Thank you.

Have not seen the wood/ interior combo in person but I do not like CF or Aluminum, so defaulted to Dark walnut. I am planning on meeting with my SA to go over the build and my choices in

Appreciate your insight.
I had similar issue, didn’t like the little bit of CF in the dash and door trim especially for $1k. I ended up with the standard black brushed aluminum trim insert. I like how it looks. It was very difficult to see the options at the dealer since no one stocked a GTS at the time.
Selpo (11-14-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 02:55 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Selpo
Update- received a Feb 2023 allocation and placed the order yesterday- PP551248. Expected to be completed by Mid march and be at the dealer on June 3rd- if it all works, will be perfect as my current M5 lease ends in June.

Freeze date is 12/6, so please let me know if there is something I need to change in my build.
What I'd do personally

- Get leather steering column casing
- Would not do that walnut wood with black/red interior. I have the anthracite black wood wheel and trim in my Turbo and love it (my favorite option in the car), that is what I would go with (especially if you don't like CF)
- Would get 18 way seats. This is debated in other threads, but these are my 2nd fave option... night and day more comfortable for me over 14 ways I had in my base
Old 11-14-2022, 04:03 PM
Selpo
Advanced

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
What I'd do personally

- Get leather steering column casing
- Would not do that walnut wood with black/red interior. I have the anthracite black wood wheel and trim in my Turbo and love it (my favorite option in the car), that is what I would go with (especially if you don't like CF)
- Would get 18 way seats. This is debated in other threads, but these are my 2nd fave option... night and day more comfortable for me over 14 ways I had in my base
Thank you, appreciate your opinion. I am going to set up a time to go to the dealership and look at the different wood trims and see what I like. Anthracite will definitely blend better with the Black/Red theme but I like some contrast... will see.

Love the look of the 18 way seats but does not come with the massage option and folds less flat than the 14 way seats, hence my decision to go with 14 way.

Will look into the leather steering column casing.

Thanks again.
Old 11-14-2022, 04:12 PM
sasuke
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

even with thermal glass you will want to tint the windows in this Texas heat.
Selpo (11-14-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 04:51 PM
Selpo
Advanced

Originally Posted by sasuke
even with thermal glass you will want to tint the windows in this Texas heat.
Will do, I like that tinted look anyway.

Updated my build with the thermal and acoustic glass, sport design package in gloss black and deletion of GTS logo on the sides- PP13S1S5
Old 02-02-2023, 08:13 PM
Selpo
Advanced

Update- got the email today that my build is complete... if all goes to plan, likely be at the dealer in 6 weeks. Hopefully nothing missing...
m5biemer (02-04-2023)

Quick Reply: Opinion about my GTS build