Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What did you do with your cayenne today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2024, 12:44 PM
Fahrfun
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Tested the “U” in SUV this week-end. Managed to take the entire old deck materials to the dump in one trip. Neighbors threw in some freebies too when they saw this. Best part was the back saving, split-second dumping once raised.

When I picked it up from the store I tested innodrive on the freeway for a brief moment to find out how well the ALK kept the vehicle and trailer centered between the lines without my steering (trailer is 7ft total width). Phenomenal. But I don’t recommend it for obvious safety reasons.

(In case someone asks: trailer was the 6’ by 10’ model, empty weight 2500lbs, allowable fill weight 4500 lbs. The baffled employee had to check their database to confirm they could rent it out on the Cayenne.)

The following 8 users liked this post by Fahrfun:
AdamKTexas (05-28-2024), chassis (05-28-2024), Ironman88 (05-28-2024), mc-pgts (05-28-2024), mdrobc1213 (05-29-2024), Schnave (05-28-2024), Tedster (05-29-2024), whistler80 (05-28-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-28-2024, 01:14 PM
AdamKTexas
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrfun
Tested the “U” in SUV this week-end. Managed to take the entire old deck materials to the dump in one trip. Neighbors threw in some freebies too when they saw this. Best part was the back saving, split-second dumping once raised.

When I picked it up from the store I tested innodrive on the freeway for a brief moment to find out how well the ALK kept the vehicle and trailer centered between the lines without my steering (trailer is 7ft total width). Phenomenal. But I don’t recommend it for obvious safety reasons.

(In case someone asks: trailer was the 6’ by 10’ model, empty weight 2500lbs, allowable fill weight 4500 lbs. The baffled employee had to check their database to confirm they could rent it out on the Cayenne.)
Sweet post! Did it attach directly to the OEM tow ball or did you need some other attachments? I always wonder if I rent a trailer from UHAUL, if we need any other attachments. Sorry for the newb questions, never towed before!
The following users liked this post:
chassis (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 01:20 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,395 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Again the point is proven that German SUVs are excellent towing platforms. MB GLE/S and BMW SUVs are also solid towing platforms.
Fahrfun (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 01:53 PM
Fahrfun
Instructor

Originally Posted by AdamKTexas
Sweet post! Did it attach directly to the OEM tow ball or did you need some other attachments? I always wonder if I rent a trailer from UHAUL, if we need any other attachments. Sorry for the newb questions, never towed before!
The US market does not get an OEM tow ball with the vehicle, only the 2” square receiver. Also, Porsche (for whatever Porsche-unique reasoning) does not provide the ready-to-go electric socket to connect the trailer’s light and brakes (if applicable to the trailer, like the one pictured). The latter socket is something the dealer usually stocks. So if you order the vehicle with the hitch package from the factory, try to get your dealer to throw the $20 part plus installation into the deal 😊

After this typically 7-prong socket is installed, it is ready to receive the matching 7-prong plug from a braked trailer or camper. However, for lighter unbraked trailers such as you might get at U-Haul, you’ll probably need to get the 4-prong adapter (available at any car parts store).

With regards to the tow ball, U-Haul may offer them at the time of rental (call first). Typical size is the 2” ball for the 2” receiver. I personally ordered my own online with a Tri-ball for complete flexibility in the moment. The dump trailer pictured for example requires the 2”5/16 ball to safely handle the max load rating of the trailer and Cayenne. For most rental single axle trailers, it usually takes the standard 2” ball. The smallest ball is for the lightest trailers such as a Hobie pedal kayak.

PS: if you’ve never ever towed before, I strongly recommend you try a small trailer and learn backing up first and steering in reverse before hitting the road. Maybe bring a friend who has trailered before and can help you practice.

Last edited by Fahrfun; 05-28-2024 at 02:10 PM.
chassis (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 04:33 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 530 Likes on 324 Posts

What obvious safety reasons? I don't know of any unless you use InnoDrive in Sport mode while towing on curvy roads. InnoDrive can get pretty rambunctious in other than Normal mode and not slow down much for curves. InnoDrive takes curves VERY sedately when in Normal mode. ALK can help with one of the most common mistakes amateurs make when towing trailers wider than their tow vehicle. Some don't understand that when they let their tow vehicle get near a lane line, their trailer has already crossed the lane line endangering adjacent vehicles. Gosh, I wish I had something like ALK 50+ years ago during my brief stint delivering mobile homes. It would have been a lot less stressful.

The US market does not get an OEM tow ball with the vehicle, only the 2” square receiver. Also, Porsche (for whatever Porsche-unique reasoning) does not provide the ready-to-go electric socket to connect the trailer’s light and brakes (if applicable to the trailer, like the one pictured). The latter socket is something the dealer usually stocks. So if you order the vehicle with the hitch package from the factory, try to get your dealer to throw the $20 part plus installation into the deal 😊
I was surprised that all of this - drawbar, 2" ball and 7-pin port - was included in the hitch kit and shown in the installation parts diagram when a Porsche dealership installed the OEM hitch after I bought my Cayenne. The only item I had to buy was a locking hitch pin that cleared the 7-pin port.

Always lock your drawbar to the hitch with a locking hitch pin! You don't want some A-hole pulling your hitch pin or, maybe even worse, leaving the hitch pin in place but removing its cotter pin resulting in your trailer disconnecting at highway speed.​​​​

Tedster (05-29-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 05:43 PM
Fahrfun
Instructor

Originally Posted by Woofman

1. What obvious safety reasons?

2. …a locking hitch pin that cleared the 7-pin port.
1. ALK will unexpectedly kick out at times due to lane markings or lack thereof that the software misunderstands. If the driver doesn’t have a fully conscious grip of the steering and/or is not paying attention, drifting across the lane could occur. This statement was primarily intended for someone who has little or no experience towing before… need to gain experience and feel as a fully engaged driver first. Adjust the side mirrors accordingly to observe the edges of the trailer relative to the road markings. Once that is mastered, they can add the additional responsibility of also monitoring their ALK status at a glance. That’s a lot to monitor as a first time driver with a trailer (surrounding traffic, upcoming road surface conditions, trailer width, increased braking distance to vehicle in front, road signs, sensing of any unusual vehicle movement or oscillations, reduced speed limit plus activity of the ALK). But once the experience is gained, I totally agree that having that extra lane centering aid while still keeping both hands on the steering wheel is well appreciated in tight lane situations.

2. I got lucky the first time when I ordered mine. The key just barely slides in front of the port (held open) when unlocking and I rotate the pin relative to the inserted, stationary key to make it work.

Last edited by Fahrfun; 05-28-2024 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-28-2024, 10:27 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

ALK and InnoDrive are dodgy.

Agree with the above comment - ALK kicks out at inopportune moments and InnoDrive often has wrong ideas of what the speed limit actually is.

I use ALK reluctantly and with hands near the steering wheel. I no longer use InnoDrive after giving it substantial field testing - it is unusable on a daily basis in a suburban setting.

Last edited by chassis; 05-28-2024 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2024, 01:07 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 530 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis
ALK and InnoDrive are dodgy.

Agree with the above comment - ALK kicks out at inopportune moments and InnoDrive often has wrong ideas of what the speed limit actually is.

I use ALK reluctantly and with hands near the steering wheel. I no longer use InnoDrive after giving it substantial field testing - it is unusable on a daily basis in a suburban setting.
I don't know how Porsche could be any clearer about how ALK should be used except for misusing the word "by" in the warnings. From the owners manual: "Keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times in order to always by ready to steer. Always be ready to take over driving tasks (steering, accelerating or braking) yourself."

It's not enough to keep your hands "near the steering wheel". ALK and InnoDrive are driver assistance features and not automated driving features.

It's the same with automatic speed limit adoption. Pay attention and manually override if your Cayenne adopts an incorrect speed limit. Hold the cruise control stalk upward for a few seconds if you want to revert to a previous set speed such as when encountering an inactive school zone. Or override by using the gas or brake pedal. I use InnoDrive quite a lot in daily "suburban" driving but I find it most useful on dark winding narrow rural roads where there are no signs warning of upcoming curves. I also find it useful in avoiding speed traps that some mostly small, rural communities use to fund their operations, e.g. De Soto, Kansas.

Edit: I think I mentioned this in another thread a while back but I discovered earlier this year that InnoDrive allows completely handsfree driving at very low speeds. Maybe this part of the Traffic Jam Assist feature. Earlier this year, traffic on an Interstate highway near me was stopped for about an hour due to a police chase that turned into a foot chase. Traffic was held to prevent the perpetrator(s) from carjacking passing vehicles. I realized after letting the Cayenne edge along slowly in traffic for around 10 minutes that I hadn't been touching the steering wheel and there hadn't been any prompts telling me to take over steering. I don't know what the maximum allowable speed for totally handsfree steering is but I was prompted to take over steering when my speed increased to around 10 mph.

Last edited by Woofman; 05-29-2024 at 01:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Woofman:
LDT (05-29-2024), V999 (05-29-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 06:34 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Woofman
I don't know how Porsche could be any clearer about how ALK should be used except for misusing the word "by" in the warnings. From the owners manual: "Keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times in order to always by ready to steer. Always be ready to take over driving tasks (steering, accelerating or braking) yourself."

It's not enough to keep your hands "near the steering wheel". ALK and InnoDrive are driver assistance features and not automated driving features.

It's the same with automatic speed limit adoption. Pay attention and manually override if your Cayenne adopts an incorrect speed limit. Hold the cruise control stalk upward for a few seconds if you want to revert to a previous set speed such as when encountering an inactive school zone. Or override by using the gas or brake pedal. I use InnoDrive quite a lot in daily "suburban" driving but I find it most useful on dark winding narrow rural roads where there are no signs warning of upcoming curves. I also find it useful in avoiding speed traps that some mostly small, rural communities use to fund their operations, e.g. De Soto, Kansas.

Edit: I think I mentioned this in another thread a while back but I discovered earlier this year that InnoDrive allows completely handsfree driving at very low speeds. Maybe this part of the Traffic Jam Assist feature. Earlier this year, traffic on an Interstate highway near me was stopped for about an hour due to a police chase that turned into a foot chase. Traffic was held to prevent the perpetrator(s) from carjacking passing vehicles. I realized after letting the Cayenne edge along slowly in traffic for around 10 minutes that I hadn't been touching the steering wheel and there hadn't been any prompts telling me to take over steering. I don't know what the maximum allowable speed for totally handsfree steering is but I was prompted to take over steering when my speed increased to around 10 mph.
I don’t even know how to turn on cruise control, or whatever it’s called now. Have never used it in any Porsche. I also always turn off the lane keeping thing and the emergency braking thing.

If I wanted to let the car do the driving, I wouldn’t get a Porsche. I buy Porsches ‘cause they’re fun to drive so, to me, it makes no sense to let the car drive itself.
chassis (05-29-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 06:54 PM
mgx1020
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts

I don’t see how this applies to this SUV. Sure getting ALK and inno might not make sense in a 911, but if your taking a 4 hour drive on a highway or sitting 2 hours in stop and go traffic these options are incredibly useful.

I had my first bad experience with innodrive accidentally switching to the new speed limit and the car hitting the brakes. I do wish they would make it easier to use. Need to re-read the manual
chassis (05-29-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 09:43 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by mgx1020
I don’t see how this applies to this SUV. Sure getting ALK and inno might not make sense in a 911, but if your taking a 4 hour drive on a highway or sitting 2 hours in stop and go traffic these options are incredibly useful.

I had my first bad experience with innodrive accidentally switching to the new speed limit and the car hitting the brakes. I do wish they would make it easier to use. Need to re-read the manual
I hear what you’re saying and it makes perfect sense for many. But I *love* driving. A lot. Even in an SUV. I get that I’m weird about this stuff.

Most of my driving in the Cayenne S is in sport-plus or sport w/the sport-plus suspension set in the pcm (which avoids the overly aggressive sport plus exhaust). And I almost always drive in manual transmission mode using the paddles. Even if just headed to/from the food store. It’s an SUV but it's a blast to drive.

My 911 (gt3) has no automated driving or driver assistance features I’m aware of beyond basic cruise control (at least I think it has basic cruise control, not really sure, now that I think about it).
Old 05-31-2024, 06:58 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Bought oil change supplies at AutoZone.

5+3 qts Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 C30
STP S45005XL filter and o-ring

Oil and filter in stock. No other retailer appears to carry the oil in stock in 5qt jugs.

I have a cache of drain plugs and sealing rings. Some bought from an rler and some bought from Porsche Atlanta Perimeter.

$74.50 oil and filter + $7 for the drain plug so $81 approximately.

p.s. same filter as the 4.0TTV8 so the V6 has more grams per liter of oil or liter of displacement of filtration media than the V8. Therefore more/better filtration per mile or per engine revolution than the V8.

Last edited by chassis; 05-31-2024 at 10:58 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by chassis:
CayenneFrank (07-05-2024), Ghaley50 (06-29-2024), Ironman88 (05-31-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 07:17 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Oil change!

42,850 miles. Drained 7.5qts, filled 7.5qts, level at top of MFD indicator. No oil consumption!

Collected Blackstone sample.

New drain plug and sealing ring.

Reset maintenance interval, aka oil light, with iCarsoft CR Max.

7.5qts Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 C30
STP S45005XL filter

Drain plug torque 30Nm
Filter housing cap torque 25Nm
Cross brace long screws torque 10Nm
Cross brace short screws torque 8Nm

Put air suspension in TERRAIN height to increase clearance to remove the belly pan.

Detailed the engine bay.

Last edited by chassis; 06-01-2024 at 07:19 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by chassis:
dalves11 (06-02-2024), Ericson38 (06-01-2024), Ironman88 (06-01-2024), retom (06-02-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 06:42 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Wash day!!

Last edited by chassis; 06-02-2024 at 09:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by chassis:
Ironman88 (06-02-2024), radctt1 (06-02-2024)
Old 06-08-2024, 01:09 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

Been 3 weeks since I ceramic coated the wheels (inside and out unmounted).

Today was 1st test of cleaning with water flush only and then blow drying with leaf blower.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ericson38:
chassis (06-08-2024), Ironman88 (06-08-2024)

Quick Reply: What did you do with your cayenne today?