Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Coding Cayenne E3

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 08:09 PM
John__C
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts

I am surprised that the older version would work while the new one would not. Since that tool is used by dealers for maintenance purposes, I would have expected it to need to be able to work with models over the past many years and for the new version to therefore work with all of the older models plus some new ones.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:16 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by John__C
I am surprised that the older version would work while the new one would not. Since that tool is used by dealers for maintenance purposes, I would have expected it to need to be able to work with models over the past many years and for the new version to therefore work with all of the older models plus some new ones.
It's just versions. As far as I can tell, the difference is minimal. The newer version supports the taycan. There may be other things, but that's the obvious difference I could see.
I imagine that next year another version should come out, supporting GT cars.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:47 PM
runbuh
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Mine came with both installed as 2 different OS. I can choose as it uploads (still on bios). Check it as it starts if it gives you the option. The default is 39, which Doesn't work for me module by module but it works to activate optionals.

Make sure you have engineer mode (several YouTube videos with that). Diagnostics-F7 (additional menu)- maintenance data- press next until the list of options populate in German.

Choose the option you want to try (drop down menu). Use google translate if German is an issue. I took pictures so I could bounce back in case of errors. Save (F8). Press next until you see a screen that has automatic coding option. I think I have similar instructions earlier in this thread. The PIWIS will recode all modules automatically. After that (it can take a bit), run for errors, erase faults. If modules are missing, it won't work, obviously.

Very important to trace your steps so you're able to revert. The start stop option on that menu deletes the icon. The car behaves as there is no start stop strategy. For research purposes only, of course. Matrix headlights (option 8G4) is there too but I think there's calibration involved to fully work. Garage pilot, IPA, innodrive are possibilities with proper hardware, still need work to confirm. I want to try to activate sport chrono and PSE. I'm not sure if the hardware on a base cayenne is enough. On the 992 there are rumors that at least the PSE can be activated (use the valves on the standard muffler).
Thanks. Start/Stop is what I'm after (and muting the seatbelt chimes). Baby steps. Start/Stop first.

The wife's Cayenne already has the LED Matrix lights, so I'll (someday) be looking into how to enable the advanced (outside the US) functionality.

Edit: forgot to mention that my unit is dual-boot to 39.8 or 39.7.

Last edited by runbuh; 12-27-2020 at 10:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Heegoogoo1 (01-07-2021)
Old 12-27-2020, 09:47 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by runbuh
Thanks. Start/Stop is what I'm after (and muting the seatbelt chimes). Baby steps. Start/Stop first.

The wife's Cayenne already has the LED Matrix lights, so I'll (someday) be looking into how to enable the advanced (outside the US) functionality.
Those chimes and disclaimers are under Kombi. I changed the country version and I believe the disclaimers went away. The chimes I left untouched (liability).
Attached Images   
runbuh (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 10:31 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 147 Posts

It would be nice if somewhere in there was a language selector and you could display everything in English.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:47 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icemang
It would be nice if somewhere in there was a language selector and you could display everything in English.
The software has several languages available, but the engineer mode in the clones is mostly in German. Google translate works most of the time.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:51 AM
runbuh
Pro

The software has several languages available, but the engineer mode in the clones is mostly in German. Google translate works most of the time.
Google translate does help!

Can you confirm that you are running 38.2 to do your coding? I'm trying to work something to get that version from the folks that sold me my unit (yeah - probably gonna have to send the SSD off to them).
TestnDoc (01-28-2024)
Old 12-29-2020, 08:44 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Can you confirm that you are running 38.2 to do your coding? I'm trying to work something to get that version from the folks that sold me my unit (yeah - probably gonna have to send the SSD off to them).
Here it goes:
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by John Mclane:
Heegoogoo1 (01-07-2021), runbuh (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 09:35 PM
runbuh
Pro

That's what I call confirmation. Thank you. Now I just gotta see if I can get a similar config going.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:20 PM
John__C
Instructor

Out of curiosity and to begin to assemble a compatibility list, what version(s) do you have and with what year Cayenne is it not working?
Old 12-29-2020, 10:37 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Out of curiosity and to begin to assemble a compatibility list, what version(s) do you have and with what year Cayenne is it not working?
As above. 38.2 runs on cayenne and 992, both '20
Old 12-29-2020, 11:10 PM
John__C
Instructor

As above. 38.2 runs on cayenne and 992, both '20
Thanks. I presume that also means that 39.7 does not work on your 20. Would love to keep building the compatibility list.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:34 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I presume that also means that 39.7 does not work on your 20. Would love to keep building the compatibility list.
Correct, 39.7 works at the root option, not per module
Old 12-30-2020, 12:26 AM
runbuh
Pro

I have a dual-boot 39.7/39.8 system. From what I've been reading, only 39.7 and prior supports Mode E (for coding). 39.7 presents me with pretty much nothing in the coding section on my 2019 Cayenne. On my 2021 GTS, which I only tested for a few minutes, I do recall seeing the Auto Start/Stop setting, but not much else, under DME.
Old 12-30-2020, 01:42 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have a dual-boot 39.7/39.8 system. From what I've been reading, only 39.7 and prior supports Mode E (for coding). 39.7 presents me with pretty much nothing in the coding section on my 2019 Cayenne. On my 2021 GTS, which I only tested for a few minutes, I do recall seeing the Auto Start/Stop setting, but not much else, under DME.
Additional menu, at the bottom to the right changes the car optionals. Choose maintenance car data. You could (for research purposes only) change the option code to 8G4 - matrix headlights and change the auto start stop to not installed (gets rid of all of it). This menu is only accessible (as far as I could) with the car connected.
Innodrive is 3L1 if I'm not mistaken. From there, pass two screens (F12), select al the modules (ctrl A) and hit automatic coding. Sit back and freak out for a bit. Once it's done, read and erase all codes.

I take pictures of whatever I try to code so I can bounce back. Also, one or two options at a time, it's time consuming but I'm paranoid. This method takes 30-40 min, more on the 992 than the Cayenne.
Heegoogoo1 (01-07-2021)

Quick Reply: Coding Cayenne E3