Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 10:00 PM
shadetree_prjct
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Update: Just had mine replaced under warranty this week. Just told them the battery is fine but I thought the module is dead and causing the auto start/stop to not work. That makes it an emissions issue. The SA old me the price has come down on the batteries to $1300 because Porsche is aware of the issue now. I don't know if they used my CPO warranty or covered it under the emissions warranty. Once they said it was covered I didn't care to ask. They also had a battery in stock so I was all tied up and out the door in a few hours with some additional maintenance done as well.
The following 3 users liked this post by shadetree_prjct:
chassis (04-08-2024), George718 (04-08-2024), Ironman88 (04-07-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 10:35 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,216 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by shadetree_prjct
Update: Just had mine replaced under warranty this week. Just told them the battery is fine but I thought the module is dead and causing the auto start/stop to not work. That makes it an emissions issue. The SA old me the price has come down on the batteries to $1300 because Porsche is aware of the issue now. I don't know if they used my CPO warranty or covered it under the emissions warranty. Once they said it was covered I didn't care to ask. They also had a battery in stock so I was all tied up and out the door in a few hours with some additional maintenance done as well.
Thanks for posting. This is the best story so far on the battery situation - replacement covered under warranty and battery price coming down.
The following users liked this post:
George718 (04-09-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 06:57 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
I understand the new Cayenne has a lithium battery to save weight. Not just the e-hybrid but even the ICE models.

Can anyone tell me about this battery? The specs? Amp Hours, Size, weight?

Ideally I would love to see a picture of it.

I'm looking for a battery for my 911 Turbo S and this could be a good option as the 991 Tequipment Lithium battery is known to have a high failure rate.
For anybody wanting to know what a 2019 Cayenne S Lithium LiFePO4 battery diagnostics say, below are two photos of my scanner display.

My Lithium battery voltage dashboard display always have stayed between 12.9 to 13.3, rarely reaching higher.

For the last two weeks, my battery voltage has been staying in a constant 13.5 to 13.6.

I just re-registered my Lithium battery to see if the programmed battery voltage changes or if it is the battery maybe dying. I will post later after I drive my vehicle for dome time.

We'll see what happens over the next days/weeks/months. I'll be taking a trip across the US with some friends in a couple of months, so I am concerned getting stranded with no battery available around.

Somebody mentioned that if your battery dies, one can install any normal battery in your vehicle and the vehicle will turn on and drive in battery emergency mode?

I wonder what truth is behind the latter hearsay..

Last edited by PorscheACC; 04-16-2024 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-16-2024, 09:07 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PorscheACC
For anybody wanting to know what a 2019 Cayenne S Lithium LiFePO4 battery diagnostics say, below are two photos of my scanner display.

My Lithium battery voltage dashboard display always have stayed between 12.9 to 13.3, rarely reaching higher.

For the last two weeks, my battery voltage has been staying in a constant 13.5 to 13.6.

I just re-registered my Lithium battery to see if the programmed battery voltage changes or if it is the battery maybe dying. I will post later after I drive my vehicle for dome time.

We'll see what happens over the next days/weeks/months. I'll be taking a trip across the US with some friends in a couple of months, so I am concerned getting stranded with no battery available around.

Somebody mentioned that if your battery dies, one can install any normal battery in your vehicle and the vehicle will turn on and drive in battery emergency mode?

I wonder what truth is behind the latter hearsay..

Just came from driving around with my wife after re-registering my battery.

The voltage is back to normal 12.9 to 13.1..

Although, when I remove my foot from the pedal, it goes to 13.4 during deceleration and until I accelerate again, which is the same as before and normal.

We'll see how it goes from here.. Definitely, there seems to have been a BMS programming interaction that caused the voltage go up to a constant 13.5-13.6.

Last edited by PorscheACC; 04-16-2024 at 09:51 PM.
George718 (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 04:02 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Just came from driving around with my wife after re-registering my battery.

The voltage is back to normal 12.9 to 13.1..

Although, when I remove my foot from the pedal, it goes to 13.4 during deceleration and until I accelerate again, which is the same as before and normal.

We'll see how it goes from here.. Definitely, there seems to have been a BMS programming interaction that caused the voltage go up to a constant 13.5-13.6.
Strange I thought I posted this earlier.. we'll, here it goes again..

After re-registering my battery because my dashboard battery/alternator dashboard voltage got stuck at 13.5v, 13.6v while driving normally at constant speeds, my voltage now is normal between 12.9 to 13.1, while driving at constant speeds which is the normal voltage range since I bought my vehicle Cayenne S new in 2019.

This means that there is a BMS battery programming link to the high charging battery voltage that I was getting over the last two weeks, which is maybe normal since the BMS charges the battery differently depending on the battery age, but I was not liking the constant high voltage while drinving at constant speeds. I didn't want my battery to be fried and don't trust Porsche current programming since, even though, I have been at the Porsche dealer for repairs lately, don't recall them updating and fixing the BMS programming overcharging defect.

When I released the pressure from the gas pedal, the voltage always used to go up, and has been that way since I bought it, but lately it will stay fixed at 13.5v, 13.6v.

I'll be monitoring my battery charge status with my scanner to see how it goes.. So, far it looks good from the diagnostic I made earlier..

Last edited by PorscheACC; 04-17-2024 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 03:22 PM
RG928
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Noticed my charging went as high as 14.1 volts today. No other issues. Should I be concerned?
Old 04-18-2024, 05:59 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RG928
Noticed my charging went as high as 14.1 volts today. No other issues. Should I be concerned?
Is it a constant voltage while driving at the same speed.?

Do you have a tool to check the charge status of your battery?

Did Porsche apply the TSB fix to your vehicle for the overcharging issue that ended damaging these batteries?

Maybe consult with your dealer if the voltage is stuck that high..
Old 04-19-2024, 10:13 AM
RG928
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

No it varies, usually at 13.2 or around that number and it did come down. Just noticed yesterday it going to 14.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:36 AM
cnl390
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2019 Cayenne S Low Battery warning light on. Voltage on display never goes below 13.2. Mechanic (not Porsche certified, but very knowledgeable) says battery is good, but previous owner installed refurbished battery. Thinking about purchasing for my wife and I'm sure she won't put up with warning light always on. Mechanic says Porsche battery for around $2000+, or this battery https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...tive/ag-h7-rs/
What do you all think I should do? THanks
Old 04-19-2024, 11:50 AM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cnl390
2019 Cayenne S Low Battery warning light on. Voltage on display never goes below 13.2. Mechanic (not Porsche certified, but very knowledgeable) says battery is good, but previous owner installed refurbished battery. Thinking about purchasing for my wife and I'm sure she won't put up with warning light always on. Mechanic says Porsche battery for around $2000+, or this battery https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...tive/ag-h7-rs/
What do you all think I should do? THanks
Unluckily, the Antigravity batteries don't work on the 9Y0 Cayennes unless you do some non-Porsche approved modifications to the battery programming and cable parts to enable data to be sent to the BMS.
Old 04-19-2024, 02:02 PM
cnl390
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unluckily, the Antigravity batteries don't work on the 9Y0 Cayennes unless you do some non-Porsche approved modifications to the battery programming and cable parts to enable data to be sent to the BMS.
Thanks. I guess I am going to have to bite the Porsche bullet.
Old 04-21-2024, 06:24 AM
Kendo67
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Fitted one of the AG bluetooth monitors to the car yesterday , does what it says on the box so no more wondering if the battery is being discharged if i am not using the vehicle for a while.

​​​​​​

K

Last edited by Kendo67; 04-21-2024 at 06:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kendo67:
Antigravity (04-22-2024), Ironman88 (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 04:37 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

I have the same Antigravity battery tracker hardwired to the pos and neg posts under my hood. It's always nice to see a 99% after my Cayenne has been sitting for a week.
The following 2 users liked this post by dasams:
Antigravity (04-22-2024), Ironman88 (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,123 Posts

The AG Battery Tracker is really an outstanding product.

I have one on my '88 Carrera. In addition to being a great reference for the condition of the battery, it also does a great job monitoring charging performance of the battery via the alternator when the car is being driven.

Air cooled 911's can develop problems where the alternator can intermittently over-charge the battery - which of course is a condition that must be identified. And, a malfunctioning alternator can cause other problems in those cars - specifically it can damage a relay for the heater blower. Those relays are no longer being produced and have to be rebuilt (not cheap - about 15x the cost of the AG Battery Tracker).

The battery tracker not only monitors the charging system, it also provides excellent historical reporting via the app that documents evidence of any problems.

Antigravity (04-22-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 09:00 PM
runbuh
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by SpokoG35
Well - after spending over an hour reading all the posts related to Lithium-Ion issues and how expensive it is to replace, I decided to convert my wife's 2019 Cayenne to AGM. Thanks to the input from other members, I purchased the requisite parts (don't believe the dealers telling you that it is IMPOSSIBLE to convert from LiPOS to AGM - IT IS - cause I just did it)
Here is what you are going to need if you're driving 2019-2021 Cayenne (any trim/model):
1. Negative cable with battery monitor module Part# PAB-915-181-A
2. AGM Battery that will fit in the passenger footwell - I chose Bosch S6588B with 92Ah, 850 CCA

Because the original LiPO4 battery has a built-in control module that reports the voltage to the car's ECU - it uses a single PIN, LIN CANbus cable (part of car wire harness)
AGM on the other hand does not have an incorporated Control Module, so to report the voltage to the car's ECU, it needs an external Control Module (which PAB-915-181-A negative cable comes with). The caveat is that the external module has 2 PINs, so when I first installed the new AGM battery and connected the existing LIN CANbus cable, the car started and was running fine, except for the error on the dashboard, reporting low voltage condition and the gauge for the battery voltage was not showing any value just 3 dashes.
As it turns out, the original LIN CANBus plug has an empty slot (since LIPOS only utilizes 1 PIN) - so in order to fix it, you need to run a wire from the battery Positive terminal and insert it into the 2nd PIN slot in the LIN CANbus connector. You will need a special VAG 2 Pin Connector (I bought it on Amazon - Cable Harness Replacement 4H0973702A, which fits perfectly)
After the connection was made car started reporting Voltage and all errors cleared. I then proceeded to register the battery, using iCARSOFT scanner, which was also completed without errors.
There is one residual problem that may or may not be related to the AGM conversion - the "Stop/Start" feature does not seem to be working now (I believe it can be cleared\reporgrammed using PIWIS-III) but if that is the only problem, l am more than OK to live without it. In fact, I drive using Individual mode and have Start/Stop set to disabled anyways....
I will do the full write-up on Thursday after I get some additional parts to make it look OEM (wire sleeves and PINs from Amazon).
Total cost under $500 - beats the HELL out of $2200 I was quoted by the local dealer to have it replaced with yet another ****ty 9Y0915105QY LiPO4
Thank you VERY much for posting this information. Can you take a picture of the connections you had to make (like the LIN 2-pin connection) and post it here?

Also - did you your "Cable Harness Replacement" part look like either of these? They look similar, but not quite, and the part number is the same on Amazon.

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Battery