Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 08:07 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I got confirmation from PNA that mine is affected and that I will be part of the recall, but not heard anything since (ok, its only been a couple of weeks). Anyone else heard directly from PNA or from their local dealer? I am going to call my local one tomorrow and see what the deal is, but just wondering if anyone else has been contacted as part of the recall process.

I guess its going to take a while to get everything ramped up and parts ordered - and then for PNA to pay the dealers for the work (they arent going to pay in advance!). It all takes time I suppose.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:24 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

repair is completed, they found all the parts, engine is running, but has a lean condition in one cylinder. Falling back to the mothership for more time!

Porsche of the village has done a good job of taking care of me!!!!
Old 07-20-2017, 08:54 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by offagain
Anyone else heard directly from PNA or from their local dealer?
I talked to a PNA rep right after the AH08 recall was announced to verify my vehicle was included and to get additional info. PNA told me to contact my dealer a couple weeks from then. I was at my dealer two weeks ago and my SA input my information into their system to be alerted and setup for an appointment once PNA makes all the needed components available and gives the dealers the green light. So, some dealers are compiling AH08 lists already for their customers.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:33 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
I talked to a PNA rep right after the AH08 recall was announced to verify my vehicle was included and to get additional info. PNA told me to contact my dealer a couple weeks from then. I was at my dealer two weeks ago and my SA input my information into their system to be alerted and setup for an appointment once PNA makes all the needed components available and gives the dealers the green light. So, some dealers are compiling AH08 lists already for their customers.
Mmm, sounds like I need to call my local dealer then! Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:35 PM
buckets
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gents... quick question (and apologies if this has been covered and I'm just a doofus)... going to look at a 2012 Turbo this weekend that comes with a CPO warranty and right at 49k miles. My read of the recall is that this model might be outside of the official recall but may still have the issue?

Looks like it was sold in December 2011.

Any advice of what to ask or look for would be greatly appreciated! I do like the piece of mind that I will have the CPO warranty for 2 years.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:02 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

The advice is to read the sticky thread on the top of this forum. And yes - it probably has been covered. Without looking at the actual bolts (which can be done in about 30 seconds if you bring a dental mirror along with you) - I'd be hard pressed to say if the one you're looking at has the defective bolts. Even if it does - you're buying from a dealer right? Does it matter - it will be covered under the recall.

One note on CPO - a car bought from a non-Porsche dealer - any CPO on the car becomes null and void. CPO only transfer is (1) it's bought from a Porsche dealer (2) Or - from a private owner who holds the CPO.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:07 PM
buckets
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
The advice is to read the sticky thread on the top of this forum. And yes - it probably has been covered. Without looking at the actual bolts (which can be done in about 30 seconds if you bring a dental mirror along with you) - I'd be hard pressed to say if the one you're looking at has the defective bolts. Even if it does - you're buying from a dealer right? Does it matter - it will be covered under the recall.

One note on CPO - a car bought from a non-Porsche dealer - any CPO on the car becomes null and void. CPO only transfer is (1) it's bought from a Porsche dealer (2) Or - from a private owner who holds the CPO.
Correct - buying from a Porsche dealer that's done all the service for the car so far. They just did a 50k mile clean-up along with the CPO servicing/check.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:19 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Cool. Good move - the CPO warranty is a wonderful thing to have, you'll sleep happily at night.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:08 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

The lean condition in cylinder 6 is a burn valve. everything else looks great and is very clean. The car was running fine until the bolts failed. Porsche is having the dealer remove the head and sending it out for a valve job. I'm hoping this is it all...starting to think this variocam failure might have deeper consequences!!
Old 07-23-2017, 01:07 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by mikew968
The lean condition in cylinder 6 is a burn valve. everything else looks great and is very clean. The car was running fine until the bolts failed. Porsche is having the dealer remove the head and sending it out for a valve job. I'm hoping this is it all...starting to think this variocam failure might have deeper consequences!!
Actually - it's a bent valve. You should insist on both heads being removed and reworked. Several reasons for that - the most important is - the back of the valves have carbon deposits on them. The head they rework will have those removed. If they don't remove the deposits on the other head you will have a poor running engine - with different airflows to the different cylinder banks. Plus - the right way to do it - is to do both heads at the same time.

FWIW - Porsche had an issue on my '11 when I paid them to R&R the Variocam adjusters. The mechanic didn't time one camshaft correctly so a valve got bent (hitting another valve - it never touched the piston crown.) The valves are chucked up in a lathe - rotated with a dial-indicator on the edge of the valve. If there is any wobble in the valve it will quickly become evident.

There is a chance that valves in the other bank touched, but the bend isn't bad enough to lose compression. Problem is - they can't tell without disassembly - which then requires new valve guide seals, new valve keepers and lots of other good stuff. On mine - what they thought was one valve ended up being 4 valves getting replaced. And LOTS of other bits and bobbins.

Plan on keeping their loaner for a while. To remove the heads the engine has to be removed. Hopefully the shop has more than one engine lift table - since it will tie up the table until it goes back in. Mine took a month from start to finish. Part of that (about a week) was waiting for the outside shop to get to the heads, then about 3 days for them to rework them. ALL the valve seats/and valves were reseated, all seals were replaced, all the valves were cleaned, coolant was changed, oil was changed at their expense several times right after the job was completed.

It's all running fine ever since - so it can be done - but it's a big job. Usually Porsche just authorizes a replacement engine at this point. In my case - the shop was paying to fix the screwup so mine got reworked.

And - deeper consequences? I believe it's a craps shoot - there are numerous cases of the engine needing replacement after the Variocam failure. That can be a $30,000 problem - but not now since the recall was put in place.

^^^ What you have to look forward to... ^^^
Old 07-26-2017, 10:59 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Thanks Don,

That is the info I need. They told me burnt valve and now they are telling me they are replace several valves. I have concerns that it is being piece repaired with only the obvious being fixed. The service advisor is a good guy so I think i need to have a face to face with him!!
Old 07-26-2017, 11:30 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger

^^^ What you have to look forward to... ^^^
You are trying to scare me.

It might be working.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:28 PM
cofred
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Woohoo...best news all week!!

(One thing I did notice though, the recall specifies 2011 MY CS and CTT models....what about those owners that have early build 2012s? Are they left out?)
I have a 2012 MY CS, build date 9/11. I too had the fix performed proactively in March of this year hoping that someday I would be reimbursed. Since learning of the recall, I've been periodically entering my VIN on the Porsche website, but always getting the same "no data" message returned.

I sifted through all the paperwork on NHSTA today and quickly realized that no 2012 MY CS or CTT are mentioned....the last date for either model included is mid/late June 2011. BUT it also says: "Improved camshaft controller fastenings were introduced into production on September 14, 2011." Given that and the fact that I knew I had the bad bolts, I called customer service. The representative was very helpful and after a short conversation/questions plus a brief hold, he asked me to email my invoice for the repair so that he could complete a submission for reimbursement. He didn't commit to approval, but it certainly sounded positive. He assigned a case number and said it typically takes a week to ten days to process, so will keep my fingers crossed!
Old 07-28-2017, 09:34 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by cofred
I have a 2012 MY CS, build date 9/11. I too had the fix performed proactively in March of this year hoping that someday I would be reimbursed. Since learning of the recall, I've been periodically entering my VIN on the Porsche website, but always getting the same "no data" message returned.

I sifted through all the paperwork on NHSTA today and quickly realized that no 2012 MY CS or CTT are mentioned....the last date for either model included is mid/late June 2011. BUT it also says: "Improved camshaft controller fastenings were introduced into production on September 14, 2011." Given that and the fact that I knew I had the bad bolts, I called customer service. The representative was very helpful and after a short conversation/questions plus a brief hold, he asked me to email my invoice for the repair so that he could complete a submission for reimbursement. He didn't commit to approval, but it certainly sounded positive. He assigned a case number and said it typically takes a week to ten days to process, so will keep my fingers crossed!
Guess I should call them on Monday. Mine is solidly within the date range covered, and I have lots of documentation that the work was done (at Porsche dealer). Would be nice to see that $3,000 again..
Old 07-28-2017, 09:37 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Folks - just a heads up. I've made this thread a sticky since it concerns a lot of 958's - and is in the process of getting resolved. Once it becomes old-news, I'll consider un-sticking it.

Quick Reply: CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts