Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 03:13 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

I heard back from them - a young lady who told me what their "policy" was once again, and said it might take longer than 10 weeks since they've gotta a lot of claims. She suggested I contact whomever I want to. GCG is really a handoff on the part of Porsche so they don't have to be bothered by us pesky owners.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:11 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

GCG called me back yesterday too. Same non-helpful response. "We were overwhelmed by the number of requests", "people requested non-reimbursable expenses", "we are working on a first-come-first-served basis", etc. I told her that mine had to be one of the first forms received. No ETA or further info was provided.

Don, have you reported this to NHTSA? I will likely escalate it to them.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:41 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Texas993
GCG called me back yesterday too. Same non-helpful response. "We were overwhelmed by the number of requests", "people requested non-reimbursable expenses", "we are working on a first-come-first-served basis", etc. I told her that mine had to be one of the first forms received. No ETA or further info was provided.

Don, have you reported this to NHTSA? I will likely escalate it to them.
Patrick,

I reported it to my contact in NHTSA (who helped make the recall happen) - so far no response. Given what I read this morning about the disorder at NHTSA now due to a lack of leadership right from the top - it seems as if the car companies have little to fear from them now. This mornings article was about the continuing fatalities from the Takata airbags, and the inability of NHTSA to really make anything happen with them.

If you do escalate it to them - please document the steps/links/etc required to do it. We can then post that here and encourage people who are getting the run-around from GCG to follow the steps to report it. That worked to make the recall happen - we can only hope enough people are left at NHTSA to pressure Porsche/GCG to actually complete the recall and reimbursement.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:38 PM
deilenberger
Banned

It's now about 14 weeks since I submitted mine - February 1st. 99 days actually. I think it's time to file a complaint with NHTSA.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:00 PM
Ron1319
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still in a terrible entry level Mercedes loaner car since I bought mine from a Mercedes dealership. I can't believe how bad the transmission in the Mercedes CLA 250 is. There's maybe 2 seconds lag time between stepping on the gas and the car actually going? I think I'm at a month since I bought the car and had to take it back so they could sit on it while waiting for the recall work to happen. I just want the car I bought!
Old 06-11-2018, 09:19 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Don and others that submitted reimbursement requests. I sent my request in on January 21, 2018. No response yet. Today a sent a letter to Porsche North America's CEO copying the NHTSA and my dealership. Probably won't do anything more than make me feel like I am doing something. I quoted the NHTSA's requirement to respond in 60 days.

Wish me luck.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:07 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Don and others that submitted reimbursement requests. I sent my request in on January 21, 2018. No response yet. Today a sent a letter to Porsche North America's CEO copying the NHTSA and my dealership. Probably won't do anything more than make me feel like I am doing something. I quoted the NHTSA's requirement to respond in 60 days.

Wish me luck.
Patrick - good on you! I'm thinking about my next step.. Porsche meanwhile spends lots of money sending me advertising info, inviting me to driving events, mailing me newsletters, offers - that's one hand trying to get me to spend money with them, the other hand - the one that has MY money is completely negating the effort of the advertising department. I sent emails to their customer service department - in the past they'd reply. Now they simply ignore them. I think it's time for a written/mailed letter - do you have the CEO's name address handy?

BTW - I heard back from NHTSA - they aren't in charge of enforcing their own rules. They said that's the FTC's department:

https://www.ftc.gov/
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/audi...ade-commission
https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt (We'd fall into "other" "Automobile")

I'll work through the forms online - the easy complaint forms don't seem immediately to fit our situation, but I believe with a bit of thought we can figure out how to get a message across..

More on this as I do it..
Old 06-12-2018, 10:07 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Mr. Klaus Zellmer
President and CEO
Porsche Cars North America
One Porsche Drive
Atlanta, GA 30354

Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E.
Washington, D.C., 20590

Don, above are the addresses that I used. If Porsche is like any other major company, they have a separate team that deals with executive complaints. Not that all companies do anything differently with those complaints - but some do.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:43 PM
deilenberger
Banned

My letter to Klaus is done. Did a bit of poking around - and found references to the federal statues that Porsche is now in violation of:

§ 573.13 Reimbursement for pre-notification remedies. - section G
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/573.13
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/577.11
Old 06-12-2018, 08:45 PM
deilenberger
Banned

There must be an attorney here who owns a Cayenne.. hey, PM me - I need to pick a brain for a few questions on how to best move this along. FTC or NHTSA? Both? How to submit to FTC without using their silly form on line? Who enforces Federal law on issues like this?
Old 06-23-2018, 08:26 PM
deilenberger
Banned

I guess sometimes a letter, mailed in an envelope, with a stamp - works. Reimbursement received today. The amount was satisfactory. Others who are still waiting might consider this - the address to use is a few posts above.. Mr. Zellmer hasn't written me back, but that's OK - I'm happy with the money.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:07 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I guess sometimes a letter, mailed in an envelope, with a stamp - works. Reimbursement received today. The amount was satisfactory. Others who are still waiting might consider this - the address to use is a few posts above.. Mr. Zellmer hasn't written me back, but that's OK - I'm happy with the money.
I, too, received my reimbursement. Glad that I sent the letter. Interesting fact: my check was #159 from the Camshaft Adjuster Remediation Fund account.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:11 PM
deilenberger
Banned

I, too, received my reimbursement. Glad that I sent the letter. Interesting fact: my check was #159 from the Camshaft Adjuster Remediation Fund account.
Mine is 153.. and it's going back into the CTT to fix another engineering mistake Porsche made - the glued in pipes in the thermostat housing. Other model Porsches this ended up being a recall... hmmmm....
Old 06-28-2018, 12:01 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Mine is 153.. and it's going back into the CTT to fix another engineering mistake Porsche made - the glued in pipes in the thermostat housing. Other model Porsches this ended up being a recall... hmmmm....
Are we perhaps moving in the direction of a new 'Glued Pipe' sticky thread at some point??
Old 06-28-2018, 01:26 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Are we perhaps moving in the direction of a new 'Glued Pipe' sticky thread at some point??
It hasn't quite reached to the level of the camshaft bolts - but it IS an issue.. if people would like to report either failures or preemptive replacement (as I'm considering doing - getting the estimate this afternoon) I can start up a thread about it. Enough response gets it sticky status..

Quick Reply: CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts