Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 01:04 PM
Simeon
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Simeon
When you say CPO, I'm not sure if you're actually saying CPO as in certified pre-owned, which comes with a 2 year unlimited mile warranty that covers just about everything, or you're just saying you bought a used Cayenne which comes as is. It seems more like the latter because a true CPO definitely covers the TC and you would not need the extended warranty, except to have a warranty for longer than the standard 2 year CPO warranty.
Sorry, I just saw that your 2 year CPO is expired and now I understand your question. In any case , I would hope that extended warranty you bought would cover it.
Old 04-07-2023, 12:22 AM
Darek K
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone - I am owner of 2014 Cayenne GTS with 130k miles (Bough it with 100k miles) and my transfer case just went out in NYC. Manufacturing date of vehicle is 04/14. Jerkiness of transfer case on 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear all the way up to 21ish miles/h. I replaced the fluid one and half year ago, I did about 20k miles on the new fluid. For about 8 months before TC went out I was getting shuddering on 3rd gear between speed of 15-20 miles/h and above 20 it was going away had no clue what it was (Now i know). I have contacted Porsche USA with claim for warranty replacement. Lets see what they say. Gonna keep you updated.
Old 04-07-2023, 03:31 PM
NYCayenne
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd just set up an appointment at a dealership ASAP. I'm in NY, had my TC replaced under warranty by Porsche of Englewood NJ.
Old 04-07-2023, 05:41 PM
Darek K
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by NYCayenne
I'd just set up an appointment at a dealership ASAP. I'm in NY, had my TC replaced under warranty by Porsche of Englewood NJ.
Good news for me, as I was saying the car still has 1 year left of the extended to 10 years warranty since manufacturing date 04/14. Did they tell you, they will analyze the TC oil and check the level if nothing was tampered with before they accept the replacement job? I have called Porsche Gold Coast in Jericho, NY in Long Island (Very rich area, thinking I will get great service, worth the shot lol, boy I was wrong) twice explaining my blown transfer case and immobilized car asking their service advisor to call me back after leaving my number twice and visiting them, I did not manage to talk to service adviser but front desk tried to convince me that because the car is out of regular warranty TC is not covered and most likely I will not be successful so i should get lost in other words, those uneducated young people at dealer. Decided to visit them and that did not go well either cause I was told by front desk service advisor is currently busy, left my number and no response. I would give them -5 stars if I could. Finally I have called dealer in Manhattan, same thing automated response and so on, complete clueless from front desk, they knew nothing.
Than comes Porsche Brooklyn on 2nd Ave, I have asked front desk over phone to talk to service department. With in 2 min I was connected with Emanuel, (Great guy, Much thanks for your help) I have asked him if he heard of the TC on Cayenne's and he did. Explained to me few things, took my vin, checked in in the system that told him my car still had 12 month left on the warranty till 04/24. I am scheduled to see him on Monday. I am documenting all of this journey and will be posting few video, how the transfer case makes noise and how it went at dealer soon with in 3-5 weeks on my Youtube channel - Darek Kruczynski , @darekkruczynski as experience and for others to know that this is not that painful issue, you just have to avoid young workers at dealer that are clueless. Lets see what happens on Monday, gonna wait for their TC oil lab tests, and their decision if they will accept the job due to nothing begin tampered with.

Last edited by Darek K; 04-07-2023 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-07-2023, 05:53 PM
NYCayenne
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Darek K
Good news for me, as I was saying the car still has 1 year left of the extended to 10 years warranty since manufacturing date 04/14. Did they tell you, they will analyze the TC oil and check the level if nothing was tampered with before they accept the replacement job? I have called Porsche Gold Coast in Jericho, NY in Long Island (Very rich area, thinking I will get great service, worth the shot lol, boy I was wrong) twice explaining my blown transfer case and immobilized car asking their service advisor to call me back after leaving my number twice and visiting them, I did not manage to talk to service adviser but front desk tried to convince me that because the car is out of regular warranty TC is not covered and most likely I will not be successful so i should get lost in other words, those uneducated young people at dealer. Decided to visit them and that did not go well either cause I was told by front desk service advisor is currently busy, left my number and no response. I would give them -5 stars if I could. Finally I have called dealer in Manhattan, same thing automated response and so on, complete clueless from front desk, they knew nothing.
Than comes Porsche Brooklyn on 2nd Ave, I have asked front desk over phone to talk to service department. With in 2 min I was connected with Emanuel, (Great guy, Much thanks for your help) I have asked him if he heard of the TC on Cayenne's and he did. Explained to me few things, took my vin, checked in in the system that told him my car still had 12 month left on the warranty till 04/24. I am scheduled to see him on Monday. I am documenting all of this journey and will be posting few video, how the transfer case makes noise and how it went at dealer soon with in 3-5 weeks on my Youtube channel - Darek Kruczynski , @darekkruczynski as experience and for others to know that this is not that painful issue, you just have to avoid young workers at dealer that are clueless. Lets see what happens on Monday, gonna wait for their TC oil lab tests, and their decision if they will accept the job due to nothing begin tampered with.
Glad you have an appointment and are on a path to resolution. A lot of this sounds difficult and overcomplicated, sorry you've had so much trouble. I've never heard of the lab test, but I guess it's necessary since your car is not drivable? The commonly known dealer procedure for diagnosing transfer case on our models is to simply unplug its electronic connector, disabling the clutches in the TC. If this resolves jerkiness and other symptoms, and if your TC is under the extended warranty period, they proceed with replacing the TC.

As a YouTube addict I'll be sure to give you a sub, I document my stuff on my IG @nycayenne

Also leaving this pic of my invoice from Porsche of Englewood. Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Darek K (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 10:35 PM
Darek K
3rd Gear

Quick question, Do you think if I go to dealer in Brooklyn and get rejected because they will say some sort of excuse (something they will come up with) not good and they can not accept the free replacement under warranty because bla bla bla. What could be consequences if i go to different dealer, will they be able to tell that I was rejected at different dealer and also deny my TC job. I am gonna call your dealer in NJ and see what he tells me. The Brooklyn dealer said he will charge me fee of $560 if my TC job is gonna get rejected. Weird $ 560 for diagnosis where its matter of unplugging TC ECU to pin point the problem.
Old 04-15-2023, 12:02 PM
ninedulkar
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Simeon
Sorry, I just saw that your 2 year CPO is expired and now I understand your question. In any case , I would hope that extended warranty you bought would cover it.
Fortunately, the Premium warranty I bought at CPO purchase time for close to $6k which extended the warranty for the CPO car for 4y/48k miles helped. I was able to get the TC problem addressed at the dealership, required two levels of inspections and approvals, but thankfully my car is fixed.

Thanks again for all the feedback and responses from folks here. Best regards.
Old 04-16-2023, 12:04 PM
ninedulkar
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Darek K
Just curious - did you get the extended 10y warranty when you bought the vehicle? I have a 2015 manufactured Cayenne which I bought CPO in 2020. When I contacted Porsche about the TC a month ago, they said Porsche's warranty is for 7 years and it expired in 2022. What saved me was I had bought the Porsche CPO Premium warranty for 4y/48k miles when I bought the CPO vehicle in 2020 which fortunately helped cover the TC repair.
Old 05-31-2023, 04:23 PM
ofozdemir
5th Gear

hi all, is this problem exists for the turbo s as well? I sold my cayenne S and currently looking for turbo S.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:55 PM
VarioSpam
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I understand its worse on Turbos due to the higher stresses (torque) on the unit. Seems like it is underspec'd
Old 05-31-2023, 08:04 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by VarioSpam
I understand its worse on Turbos due to the higher stresses (torque) on the unit. Seems like it is underspec'd
It's not worse on turbos. Reading this forum over the years indicates the base models appear to go through transfer cases at a seemingly greater rate. But overall it's a crap shoot: it does depend on how you drive; and it does depend on how lucky you are, as some go for 120k miles for 10+ years with no issues; others need numerous replacements in a short time. The 958 is a great SUV, and if its transfer case has issues, then fix it and move on!
Old 05-31-2023, 09:23 PM
jsnola
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This is screen shot of transfer case coverage by model year from warranty start date

See attached screen shot for description of coverage by model year

Screenshot of transfer case coverage
Old 06-01-2023, 12:26 AM
Gus B.
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Locally once the factory warranty expires (3 years) the owner has the "opportunity" to extend the factory warranty (renewable yearly at a cost of ±$2K/year), but it must never lose this extended warranty otherwise no chance to renew it later on. I've looked at two Cayenne Turbos in the past year and both (2011 models) have had the transfer case replaced. The one I'm currently looking at required replacement back in 2019 at ±45K miles (now has 58K miles). In both instances the replacement was done under the extended warranty.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:43 PM
ofozdemir
5th Gear

I’ve replaced my cars transfer case 2 times and finally gave up spending more money and wasting my time. My Cayenne S was 2011 model year and out of the warranty period. I’ve sold it and currently looking for TURBO S (2015,2016,2017). I wanna make sure that I won’t have any problem with the transfer case. I love this car which fits perfectly fine with my family needs and I don’t want to spend that much of money again for the problem which I didn’t caused.

Last edited by ofozdemir; 06-01-2023 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:47 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Is there a definite fix for earlier (958.1) transfer case issue? Will a transfer case replaced in 2019 be plagued by the same "fault" as one that was installed back in 2011 (i.e. is there an updated version for earlier cars)?

It's my understanding that frequent transfer case oil changes (every 10K miles) "fixes" the problem as the problem is essentially due to Porsche's service interval that causes deterioration of the oil which in turn causes premature wear and failure of the internal clutch packs. Am I correct?

Quick Reply: Transfer case