Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 09:31 AM
Rainman555
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainman555
Hello
I bought 2016 Porsche Cayenne with 19K miles in 2019. I used it lightly, now it is 32K miles. I have issues with transmission and feel gear shifts driving on local roads. The dealers says it is issue with transfer case, the transfer case warranty expired on Nov 2022 (10 months ago), now the replacement cost is $6000+. I told them it is lightly used certified car sold by dealer and i did not get the notice of warranty or transfer case issue. They told me to talk to Porsche NA, i talked to them. Both Porsche NA and dealer are telling the warranty is expired, i have to pay full cost. Please advise what action i should take. Thanks a lot in advance. I live in Atlanta, GA
Hello All,

As a follow up to this issue, need some advise. As this (transfer case) issue seems to be manufacturing defect, and i was not made aware of this issue by Porche NA (i never got warranty notice) or hennessy porsche dealership (where i bought certified used car with 19K Miles) , do i have a valid case of filing a BBB complaint or using one of the Auto dealership lawyers to go against both Porsche NA and hennessy porsche dealership Atlanta? Please suggest

Just to re-iterate i got this problem barely 10K miles after purchase.
Old 10-01-2023, 09:56 AM
911guyinaz
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Porsche NA has extended the warranty for this to 10 years.. if memory serves me right. Maybe others will confirm this but call Porsche NA and ask.
The following users liked this post:
Rainman555 (10-01-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 11:08 AM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by 911guyinaz
Porsche NA has extended the warranty for this to 10 years.. if memory serves me right. Maybe others will confirm this but call Porsche NA and ask.
see post #1422 this forum.
Old 10-01-2023, 11:46 AM
Simeon
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Hello All,

As a follow up to this issue, need some advise. As this (transfer case) issue seems to be manufacturing defect, and i was not made aware of this issue by Porche NA (i never got warranty notice) or hennessy porsche dealership (where i bought certified used car with 19K Miles) , do i have a valid case of filing a BBB complaint or using one of the Auto dealership lawyers to go against both Porsche NA and hennessy porsche dealership Atlanta? Please suggest

Just to re-iterate i got this problem barely 10K miles after purchase.
For what is worth, we bought a CPO 2017 Cayenne S in 2021 and I realized the day after there was something off which turned out to be the transfer case. The symptoms only showed up after driving for at least 20-30 mins for the car to warm up well in the winter. In addition to that, the dealer also discovered and took care of an oil leak that required engine out service when I took it in to look at the transfer case.
I also didn't know about this major issue with the transfer case prior to buying the car and only found out afterwards on this forum when searching for the symptoms I noticed. I was so happy with deciding to go with a CPO, but at the same time was a little upset that we did get a CPO which apparently had 2 existing problems when purchased it. I get that they were fixed for us but I was expecting a CPO car to have been thoroughly inspected and made sure to be in top shape. And I'm sure the dealer should have been able to discover both the transfer case issue and the oil leak in that process but decided to make the car a CPO and then fix it for us after it's sold.. seemed like the dealer was definitely cheating Porsche NA a bit.
The following 2 users liked this post by Simeon:
Rainman555 (10-01-2023), Robocop305 (10-13-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 01:24 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Simeon
For what is worth, we bought a CPO 2017 Cayenne S in 2021 and I realized the day after there was something off which turned out to be the transfer case. The symptoms only showed up after driving for at least 20-30 mins for the car to warm up well in the winter. In addition to that, the dealer also discovered and took care of an oil leak that required engine out service when I took it in to look at the transfer case.
I also didn't know about this major issue with the transfer case prior to buying the car and only found out afterwards on this forum when searching for the symptoms I noticed. I was so happy with deciding to go with a CPO, but at the same time was a little upset that we did get a CPO which apparently had 2 existing problems when purchased it. I get that they were fixed for us but I was expecting a CPO car to have been thoroughly inspected and made sure to be in top shape. And I'm sure the dealer should have been able to discover both the transfer case issue and the oil leak in that process but decided to make the car a CPO and then fix it for us after it's sold.. seemed like the dealer was definitely cheating Porsche NA a bit.
Assuming the car's 4y warranty had expired, most likely the transfer case was billed back to PCNA as part of the transfer case extended warranty and the oil leak was billed back to PCNA under the CPO. In speaking with sales managers, the bill to cleanup the car mechanically and cosmetically is 100% on the sales department at the dealer, unless covered under the basic 4y warranty, recalls and/or PCNA warranty extensions. If the car's prep for sales cost estimates are too high, then off to auction it goes.

The three cars I have dealt with have been hit or miss on the accuracy of the CPO inspection.

Dealers and Manufacturers play a cat and mouse game all of the time.

Last edited by CAVU; 10-02-2023 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-01-2023, 03:14 PM
Rainman555
4th Gear

It was not 10 year warranty, the warranty has expired on November 2022. The hennessy porsche dealership also failed to flag this issue when i took the car for service in July 2022, when the warranty was still in effect. They brushed off the issue when the transfer case was not much of a bother at that time
Old 10-01-2023, 04:36 PM
edde
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I see 2011-2014 years were covered by the 10 year extension - mine was (2011). I had already purchased the kit from Europe which I still have. My intention was to give it to a local reputable transmission shop to do. I would have been all in for roughly $2K.

BBB will be of no practical use. But it only costs 6K if you let the dealer do it.

And I'll ad that like any other repair shop they can be sloppy. I had a buzzing noise underneath like a loose heat shield after they did the s\wap and found a poorly tightened mount under there.

Rainman555 (10-01-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 12:05 AM
Simeon
Instructor

It was not 10 year warranty, the warranty has expired on November 2022. The hennessy porsche dealership also failed to flag this issue when i took the car for service in July 2022, when the warranty was still in effect. They brushed off the issue when the transfer case was not much of a bother at that time
Did you specifically ask them to check out the transfer case or a symptom that turns out was the transfer case acting up? If so I would bring that up in a complaint.
Old 10-02-2023, 07:52 AM
ViperKGB
2nd Gear

Hi All,

I’m looking at a 2015 S Diesel with 90k on the clock. The dealer doesn’t know if the TC has been replaced and I’m keen to find out if it has been.

Does anyone know if there is a way to check online if you have the car information?

Its such a beautiful car, I’m just not sure yet about taking the risk on the TC failing.

Old 10-02-2023, 09:17 AM
Simeon
Instructor

Originally Posted by ViperKGB
Hi All,

I’m looking at a 2015 S Diesel with 90k on the clock. The dealer doesn’t know if the TC has been replaced and I’m keen to find out if it has been.

Does anyone know if there is a way to check online if you have the car information?

Its such a beautiful car, I’m just not sure yet about taking the risk on the TC failing.
Supposedly diesels don't have problems with the TC. Search around for that topic to confirm for yourself though.

Last edited by Simeon; 10-02-2023 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-03-2023, 02:55 AM
ViperKGB
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Simeon
Supposedly diesels don't have problems with the TC. Search around for that topic to confirm for yourself though.
Thanks Simeon, I had a look through the forum and I think some of them had issues. But good to get your insight as it may not be as prevalent as the petrol then
Old 10-04-2023, 06:06 PM
GT4Pat
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Transfer case failed!!!

Well, it finally happened, my 2016 transfer case started failing at 90K.... Called the dealer, they could not get me in for a bit. I really did not care as I thought it was not covered... Then I find this thread and it WAS covered... Contacted the dealer again 12 days after the warranty expired (I did not know this at the time)....
They said sorry not covered Porsche is being a hard #ss about it... I left and called Porsche figuring that someone that has bought 6 Porsches in the last 5 years they would let 12 days slide.... NOPE, they did not. So after all the $$$ I have handed to Porsche... upwards of 500K they could not replace my transfer case...
Porsche very nicely told me to get lost... I am disappointed by this considering it seems like everyone gets their transfer cases replaced under warranty.... Not sure what to do beyond posting it here for others to see. Its sad to see the Porsche is turning into every other car manufacturer now.... so sad.

Does anyone know where I can find a re-man that has been beefed up?
Rainman555 (10-06-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 07:44 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Surprised the dealer did not make the replacement because my 16 GTS was about 5 months out of coverage, and they agreed to replace it. Work was done about 6 months ago.
Old 10-04-2023, 09:50 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 484 Likes on 355 Posts

I'd like to throw my name out there as both of our extended warranty providers, Fidelity and Freedom Warranty, provide coverage on the transfer case with even the lowest levels of coverage tiers. My information is tgibson@highline-autos.com or (855) 924-1333 if anyone has any questions.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 10-05-2023, 02:15 PM
GT4Pat
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My dealer is by the book.... He did not even help when Porsche called him.... bummer

Quick Reply: Transfer case