Sponsored By:

need help on 958 CTT with trailer hitch install

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 05:44 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default need help on 958 CTT with trailer hitch install

Here are some pics. I'm at this point but unsure how to hook controller up with supplied plate and where to put it. I thought it needed to go up front but maybe that's older 955 model.

I purchased complete system and all hardware from Sunset and cost $800 and change to my front door.

Any help or a guide to show me how? The only one i could find is from the 955 and these are very different beasts. I included that document as well. I'm specifically looking for Porsche directions or help from someone who has already done this.

Thanks for any help!!

Regards,
Bryan
Attached Images     
Attached Images
Old 06-12-2016, 12:48 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

I'm not at home so I don't have access to my manual, but I believe the controller goes in the rear starboard (right) quarter panel area.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:33 AM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the help. If you get to the manuals let me know. I'm pretty sure you are correct as the wiring harness is only for that space so not many other options. My questions are how does the metal bracket get installed, what are the torque specs on the 8 bolts which hold it on, and is there anything that it plugs into... the two plugs on the wiring harness plug into the controller (from what I can tell) so then how does it get power and talk with the car?

I will have it programmed by the dealer once it's installed but would like to try and get it all the way except that...

Any other info would be helpful
Old 06-12-2016, 10:19 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Afraid it will be a few days.. probably the end of the week, Friday, before I'm back to the manual.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:49 AM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

It goes in the back like deilenberger described in all models. It's pictured in part 6 of the instructions you attached. If you have a trailer with brakes you will need to purchase a brake controller that will be installed up front. My 955 requires a wiring adaptor for the brake controller. Suncoast has that part available.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:38 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Default I did it, here is some pics and info

Pretty straight forward but if I didn't have some guidance I wouldn't have known where the bracket was installed or how to plug in the trailer module.

1) Metal bracket that came with the setup wasn't needed as mine was already in place and housed the existing back up camera/sensor module. Some systems will have the rear infotainment system computer in place there as well which changes how the trailer module connects. Mine was placed just beneath the back up camera computer (since I don't have rear infotainment) and the silver bracket comes out with 3 screws to attach the trailer module.

2) The BOSE sound system needs to be removed to reveal the bracket and location as well

3) Vehicles are pre-wired with the red plug (attaches to the trailer module) and the green plug (which is on the trailer wiring harness) attaches to a green plug already in the vehicle (you can see in photos).

4) The dummy body plug underneath pops out and the wiring harness is pulled through there with the supplied rubber grommet.

Overall, not to bad. I took a couple pics of the rubber rivets (which broke for me) along with one metal clip that also was damaged and it broke when I was bending it back. These were used to hold on the rear panel which needs to be removed to get this job done.

Note: I removed the tie down hooks on the passenger side (to remove this straight inlay) along with the rear chrome/metal guard. This allows the rear side panel to come out easier.

Hope this helps someone!

Cheers,
Bryan
Attached Images     
Old 06-13-2016, 01:51 AM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the follow-up. I'm in the market and may ultimately have to mount my own hitch also. Did you follow a DIY or find any clear instructions for this task?
Old 06-14-2016, 07:32 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

I used this video from an aftermarket trailer hitch company to remove the rear bumper cover... super easy with this video.

Everything else was fairly easy. I did speak to a P-mechanic about where the general area was for the trailer module... that helped tremendously as I wouldn't have known otherwise.

Good luck.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:47 AM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Awesome, thanks again!
Old 08-07-2016, 01:27 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Anyone have experience with the curt trailer hitch on a 955? Seems like a great solution for my bike rack woes.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:30 AM
darrona
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing rear panel to access trailer module

How in the heck do you get that rear panel to access the trailer module? Also, how does the rear metal guard come off in the vargo floor where the lid closes?

Thank you,
David

Originally Posted by x98boardwell
Pretty straight forward but if I didn't have some guidance I wouldn't have known where the bracket was installed or how to plug in the trailer module.

1) Metal bracket that came with the setup wasn't needed as mine was already in place and housed the existing back up camera/sensor module. Some systems will have the rear infotainment system computer in place there as well which changes how the trailer module connects. Mine was placed just beneath the back up camera computer (since I don't have rear infotainment) and the silver bracket comes out with 3 screws to attach the trailer module.

2) The BOSE sound system needs to be removed to reveal the bracket and location as well

3) Vehicles are pre-wired with the red plug (attaches to the trailer module) and the green plug (which is on the trailer wiring harness) attaches to a green plug already in the vehicle (you can see in photos).

4) The dummy body plug underneath pops out and the wiring harness is pulled through there with the supplied rubber grommet.

Overall, not to bad. I took a couple pics of the rubber rivets (which broke for me) along with one metal clip that also was damaged and it broke when I was bending it back. These were used to hold on the rear panel which needs to be removed to get this job done.

Note: I removed the tie down hooks on the passenger side (to remove this straight inlay) along with the rear chrome/metal guard. This allows the rear side panel to come out easier.

Hope this helps someone!

Cheers,
Bryan
Old 11-01-2016, 11:03 AM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

David, I believe that furthest real panel if my memory is correct just popped out. Use a plastic pry tool to start popping it out. I also removed the tie downs so the metal trim comes out to allow that panel to be removed easier.

Regarding the access panel, there are plastic rivets and clips which hold it in. Mine were damaged in the process of removing but cost $5 through Porsche when all done. You will need to pry that off as well. I started in the rear by the lift gate seal and started to remove there. Finally, there are a couple screws (again working form memory here) I believe that need to be removed once you pull the tiny panel off which allows you to release the gas cap. I think there is a screw in there which helps to hold the panel in.

Good luck.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:53 PM
dapopa9
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

X98 - Did your 958 already have the plug that the trailer lights/brakes plug into on the back/underside of the bumper? Or does the kit you bought from Sunset include that piece also?
Old 02-10-2017, 11:34 AM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

You will need to purchase that small adapter.. it isn't expensive but does not come with the kit. When you get the kit it will have a cover plate over that area. The adapter you would need comes with the internal portion of the plug and the flap which covers it when not in use.

Hope this helps!

I do have my older (2006 CTTS) trailer hitch still available. It is located in Central CA and would require local pickup as these are very heavy. I don't think it would fit (seems slightly different than the one I have now on my 2012) a newer model but it's in great shape and I don't have a use for it. If someone can use it and pick it up, I would give it to them.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:06 PM
Derek Tsang
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by x98boardwell
You will need to purchase that small adapter.. it isn't expensive but does not come with the kit. When you get the kit it will have a cover plate over that area. The adapter you would need comes with the internal portion of the plug and the flap which covers it when not in use.

Hope this helps!

I do have my older (2006 CTTS) trailer hitch still available. It is located in Central CA and would require local pickup as these are very heavy. I don't think it would fit (seems slightly different than the one I have now on my 2012) a newer model but it's in great shape and I don't have a use for it. If someone can use it and pick it up, I would give it to them.
where in CA? Ever come out to vegas?

Quick Reply: need help on 958 CTT with trailer hitch install