Porsche Cayenne Clicking

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 03:33 AM
PorscheDude71
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Cayenne Clicking

Folks!

Proud new owner of a 2016 Porsche Cayenne. Car makes really weird clicking/grinding sounds at very low speeds. Dealer replaced the transfer case under warranty. Problem was better for one day. Now. The problem is back. Dealer is saying they have determined the sound is perfectly normal. My question of course is, if it were normal, why go through the trouble of replacing the transfer case. Quote frankly, I'm embarrassed to show the car to anyone anymore. I don't know what to do. Can anyone tell me if this sound IS indeed normal? I've posted it to YouTube. I'd appreciate any assistance you might be able to offer. Much thanks!!!

Old 01-03-2016, 04:14 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 87 Posts

Replace a transfer case on a 2016...I would be POed.
I cannot hear it over the engine but If the dealer says its normal I would ask them to demonstrate that with another 2016 on their lot.

With chassis noises you may want to try a camera in the video mode. Using a magnetic mount attach it to the the underside near the source. When you have zeroed in on the sound post the clip here.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:46 PM
PorscheDude71
Track Day

Originally Posted by v10rick
Replace a transfer case on a 2016...I would be POed.
I cannot hear it over the engine but If the dealer says its normal I would ask them to demonstrate that with another 2016 on their lot.

With chassis noises you may want to try a camera in the video mode. Using a magnetic mount attach it to the the underside near the source. When you have zeroed in on the sound post the clip here.
Why would you be PO'd? Because the car is new??

The sound is impossible to miss. It's difficult to describe the sound so it's possible I've just done a poor job of the description. Try listening for ANY noise besides the engine and you'll absolutely hear it. It could also be described as grinding, stretching, ticking. Try listening again and tel me if you get anything out of it.

I don't believe it is a chassis sound. Prior to Porsche replacing the transfer case, my feeling was that it was the transmission. I know that other cars make the sound because my rental Cayenne did it, too.

But, that doesn't make it normal, it just potentially makes it widespread. I'm at a loss over what to do.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:11 PM
Lionworks Auto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good advice already given: go back to dealer, have them start another 2016 cayenne and have them explain why it doesn't make the same noise.

When it doesn't demand they repair properly or begin to raise a real stink...
Old 01-03-2016, 01:30 PM
TD Pcar
Advanced

The clicking is clearly discenable and I have not heard anything like that on my 2011 CS nor any of the diesel loaners or the 2016 GTS I have driven. My transfer case was replaced for a metallic grinding& moaning during slow speed turns and now is quiet and smooth at all speeds. The dealer explained to me (also documented in the paperwork) that trouble shooting for a drive train problem involved removing each drive shaft, one at a time, then driving the vehicle around the lot to try isolate whether the clicking is a front/rear differential, shaft connection, wheel bearing, or transfer case. Whatever the cause - that clicking is not normal.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:38 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

I hear it. Sounds a bit like slowly opening a creaking door.

Last edited by mtnrat; 01-03-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:14 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I hear it. No way that is normal. You bought a new car. It has a warranty. They're responsible for fixing it.

Document, document, document. If you find the need to invoke lemon law, you'll need to show a history of an issue going unresolved.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:06 PM
Coach 11
Instructor

I hear it also and it cannot be normal!
Old 01-03-2016, 05:44 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Could it be a suspension creak?

It sounded like it could be steel springs creaking for some reason. Not normal and needs to be fixed, but not necessarily tranny.

Maybe a loose bolt on the springs? Or a loose u-joint? Grasping at straws here, but something's amiss!
Old 01-04-2016, 11:21 AM
KarlJC
Instructor

If the dealer says its normal I would ask them to demonstrate that with another 2016 on their lot.
If its normal EVERY 2016 Cayenne on their lot would do it also, have them show you on several other 2016 Cayenne's
Old 01-04-2016, 12:24 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KarlJC
If its normal EVERY 2016 Cayenne on their lot would do it also, have them show you on several other 2016 Cayenne's
OK but why? Can you say for certain which component is causing this sound?
Old 01-04-2016, 12:53 PM
KarlJC
Instructor

OK but why? Can you say for certain which component is causing this sound?
No it looks like they cant so far.

My point was if its normal it would be happening on ALL other Cayenne's like his, not just 1 or 2.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:23 PM
snzuloz
Instructor

that is 100% not normal, they need to get to the bottom of it. best to keep all records in case you have to go further...
Old 01-04-2016, 05:09 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't believe they would waste your time and fleece you like that. As if a brand new car should make sounds that not even a Nissan Versa would. They must not know what it is and just hope you will go away.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:38 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KarlJC
Originally Posted by endless_corners
I can't believe they would waste your time and fleece you like that. As if a brand new car should make sounds that not even a Nissan Versa would. They must not know what it is and just hope you will go away.
I experienced a similar issue with the Infiniti brand. The dealer informed me that the manufacturer does not reimburse them for diagnosing unusual sounds. This may be a case of they know what it is but will loose money on the fix.

I suspect with the mega $$$ cost to resolve their emissions issues P will become more frugal resolving warranty claims.

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayenne Clicking