Sponsored By:

PCM 3.1 stuck in emergency update loop

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 06:09 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by RobandyUK
Thanks i did try that as well but got the same error at the same point in the upgrade, the always get the boot loop. luckily i kept the usb update with the 2 lines missing in the config so i can get back to the pcm booting up.
if a partion was bad or locked would the clonezila export of partion tables transfer a fault to the new drive ??
Yes if the drive has a corrupted sector/section/file it gets transferred to the new drive and the issue will persist.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:06 PM
RobandyUK
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dan_189
Yes if the drive has a corrupted sector/section/file it gets transferred to the new drive and the issue will persist.
for my sanity can i clarify if i run on a drive that has corruption
sudo -s
sfdisk -d /dev/sdd | sfdisk /dev/sdb
would it copy the corruption as the way i read it it would just create the partitions, i did the above put the new drive in and still got the exact same copy error

sorry if i am being thick

Old 03-25-2024, 07:26 PM
dan_189
Race Car

for my sanity can i clarify if i run on a drive that has corruption
sudo -s
sfdisk -d /dev/sdd | sfdisk /dev/sdb
would it copy the corruption as the way i read it it would just create the partitions, i did the above put the new drive in and still got the exact same copy error

sorry if i am being thick
Yes, regardless of the copy method it will still be a corrupted file/sector etc. Then when the update runs it will still give you the same error. Regardless of the media original or cloned SSD you need a clean uncorrupted file system for the update to run and complete.
Old 03-26-2024, 12:37 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

For those of you with a perfectly working PCM, I upgraded my HDD with a Samsung 870 EVO 250G SSD for $40. I used the Fideco hard drive cloning device for an additional $24 both from Amazon. You plug original HDD in bay 1 and new SSD in bay 2 and begin the sector-by-sector clone. No PC needed. It took about 45 min to clone and didnt fully remove the PCM from the Cayenne. Pretty straight forward. I wish the best of luck to those of you having boot loop issues. I hope that I averted much pain by preempting a drive failure.

PCM out 90 % but all cables and vents still attached.

2 bay cloning device. No PC or clone software needed. Original HDD in bay 1 and SSD in bay 2.
Old 03-26-2024, 01:51 PM
RobandyUK
AutoX

Originally Posted by kari
Feels like a corrupt partition.. cloning wont help... Get a brand new ssd (dont reuse your current one ) and build the partition table from scratch - option 3 in post 24 that i made a while ago lists steps to create the partitions using clonezilla but you can use other tools too.. then plug the ssd in and run the update disk..hth..
Hi Karl
tried doing the partition from scratch, My Linux is a bit rusty but nearly got there except the first partition started at 2048 not 63 and for the life of me I cannot work out how to re set it to 63

if i run sudo fdisk /dev/sdb
then press X i gt into expert mode but not sure what to do next
The actual partition in question is /dev/sdb1
I also get in red below the partition info when i run fdisk /L
Partition 2 does not start on physical sector boundary and so on for all the other partitions

see attached
any advise would be great

Old 03-27-2024, 09:29 AM
kari
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi Karl
tried doing the partition from scratch, My Linux is a bit rusty but nearly got there except the first partition started at 2048 not 63 and for the life of me I cannot work out how to re set it to 63

if i run sudo fdisk /dev/sdb
then press X i gt into expert mode but not sure what to do next
The actual partition in question is /dev/sdb1
I also get in red below the partition info when i run fdisk /L
Partition 2 does not start on physical sector boundary and so on for all the other partitions

see attached
any advise would be great
In the expert mode type m to get list of commands and b to change the beginning. More info here..
https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest.../112201#112201

Old 03-29-2024, 07:41 AM
RobandyUK
AutoX

In the expert mode type m to get list of commands and b to change the beginning. More info here..
https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest.../112201#112201
Thanks Karl for you advice that allowed me to get the drive looking as it should partition wise, checked it on my linux laptop and all looked ok
put it pack in the car and tried the update but still fails with a crc error on the .placeholder file of step3
i will try find a download for 4.74 and give that a go, if all fails think its time to change it for an aftermarket unit

Old 03-29-2024, 08:33 AM
kari
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks Karl for you advice that allowed me to get the drive looking as it should partition wise, checked it on my linux laptop and all looked ok
put it pack in the car and tried the update but still fails with a crc error on the .placeholder file of step3
i will try find a download for 4.74 and give that a go, if all fails think its time to change it for an aftermarket unit
Crc error is usuallly a bad source disk. Check out this post - maybe you can use this image .. https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-an...l#post19352732
​​
Old 04-05-2024, 12:47 PM
Hasse993
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM 3.1 stuck at .placeholder

Crc error is usuallly a bad source disk. Check out this post - maybe you can use this image .. https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-an...l#post19352732
​​
Hi Kari,
My PCM is stuck in Emergency Mode even after the HDD has been cloned to an SSD and the latest update is that I have received a clone from an HDD from another car. Still stuck in EM and when I insert the DVD to upgrade from 4.73 to 4.76 the update gets stuck at the exact same place (see picture)
1) is it possible that the issue is not related to the disc?
2) do you know how I can get out of the EM?
I only have access to Mac but I have a relative who is great with computers and he has a good PC.
Regards from Sweden
Old 04-05-2024, 01:53 PM
Hasse993
AutoX

Default PCM 3.1 stuck in EM

Just some additional info to my previous post.
The problem with the PCM stuck in EM started initially when I tried to upgrade to 4.76 and the electricity broke the update off. If I only had known that I needed to have at least the ignition on…
Old 05-12-2024, 07:12 PM
Thunderbaud
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Hasse993
Hi Kari,
My PCM is stuck in Emergency Mode even after the HDD has been cloned to an SSD and the latest update is that I have received a clone from an HDD from another car. Still stuck in EM and when I insert the DVD to upgrade from 4.73 to 4.76 the update gets stuck at the exact same place (see picture)
I only have access to Mac but I have a relative who is great with computers and he has a good PC.
Regards from Sweden
To escape from Emergency mode you should try USB-stick trick described in #21 msg at the beginning of the thread https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16510863
At first try to just copy your update DVD to USB completely without any modification and then use it instead of a disk. If it does not help then try to mod the .def file as described in #21

By the way could you please tell me does your PCM flash any lights inside when it does HDD access? I'm asking because mine also got stuck in Emergency mode and none of the recipes work. I suspect there's hardwsre issue with PATA/SATA interface. I'm sure there were orange HDD led flashing but now it does not... Please anyone confirm is there a HDD activity LED somewhere in PCM3.1?
Old 05-12-2024, 07:16 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Hi Kari,
Regards from Sweden
Does your Cayenne have a USB slot in the centre glove box? If so extract the update to the root of the USB drive and plug it in see if the update runs from that. Often the DVD can be incorrectly burnt, scratched or the incorrect media used. Your DVD also looks upside down??
Old 05-19-2024, 12:47 AM
ozzythething
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Just some additional info to my previous post.
The problem with the PCM stuck in EM started initially when I tried to upgrade to 4.76 and the electricity broke the update off. If I only had known that I needed to have at least the ignition on…
Hey Hasse,

Find and download a file called “pcm_20150721.iso”

There’s a google drive link in one of the PCM threads here, you can use that one. Search with the filename on Google it’s pretty easy to find.

Format an 8 gig USB stick with FAT32. Older the drive the better. Also try not to go above 32GB if you can. The usb updater is finicky. (If you’re on a Mac, use Disk Utility > Partition and choose MBR as partition table type. I don’t know about Windows but the regular format function should do ‘er.)

Mount the ISO image, and drag & drop all files to your newly formatted USB stick.

Plug the thing into the center console USB and it should start updating.

You can also burn the iso onto a DVD and update with that but only Verbatim brand DVD-R disks burned at 2x will consistently be readable. Any other disk brand or faster burnt disks always cause trouble at some point during the update.

Ha det så bra, DM mig om du får någon problem. Lycka till.

Last edited by ozzythething; 05-19-2024 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:32 PM
FuzzyCotton
1st Gear

For those with Macs: If you're stuck in the emergency update loop, where it's failing at 99% right before the end: I had the bad sectors issue when trying to do an offline clone. Was creating a bootable usb to load CloneZilla (unsuccessfully) and stumbled upon balenaEtcher for mac. Anyways the "clone drive" function on balenaEtcher fails at 2% (wait for the retry prompt, and hit cancel) but successfully copies over the partition structures of the original drive. This avoids having to run CloneZilla at all - close and relaunch Disk Utility to ensure the partitions match the original drive and you should be good to go.
Old 08-07-2024, 09:55 AM
Skywalkersound
4th Gear

Hi guys, I’m new here and new to Porsche as well. I have a 2014 Boxster 981 with PCM and Navi… I’ve the same issue here or maybe sort of.. checked all the options you mentioned but still not able to get my unit fully back to work. Just tuner and Aux.
After my last attempt to install the latest so I notices I have possibly some problem with IOC and APP.. as the SWID results to be invalid…did I completely break my unit? Any help would be appreciated…

Quick Reply: PCM 3.1 stuck in emergency update loop