Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 01:04 AM
Ilya Kirilychev
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of installing this JoyAuto into my Cayenne 2010 PCM 3.1 but I don't have AUX and USB in central console. I uderstand that I need to activate AUX/USB first and connect the AUX and USB cables to PCM. But the original cables (958.612.642.20 USB and 958.612.642.30 AUX) cost a fortune, around $300 each. So I'm looking for a budget alternative. Can onyone please share pictures of connectors that original AUX and USB cables at PCM 3.1 end have? I spent a lot of time googling and I found only pictures of connectors for PCM 3.0 (below), but mine is 3.1 and I would like to make sure I know what connector to look for. Or just activation of AUX and USB in PCM (without putting cables) will be enough to install JoyAuto?

Last edited by Ilya Kirilychev; 08-18-2020 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:34 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Ilya Kirilychev
I'm thinking of installing this JoyAuto into my Cayenne 2010 PCM 3.1 but I don't have AUX and USB in central console. I uderstand that I need to activate AUX/USB first and connect the AUX and USB cables to PCM. But the original cables (958.612.642.20 USB and 958.612.642.30 AUX) cost a fortune, around $300 each. So I'm looking for a budget alternative. Can onyone please share pictures of connectors that original AUX and USB cables at PCM 3.1 end have? I spent a lot of time googling and I found only pictures of connectors for PCM 3.0 (below), but mine is 3.1 and I would like to make sure I know what connector to look for. Or just activation of AUX and USB in PCM (without putting cables) will be enough to install JoyAuto?
You should have a 1/8” input jack inside the center console glovebox with your PCM 3.1. No need for the USB input with the Joyeauto module. I had a 2010 a few years ago without USB and no BT audio, It only came with the input jack.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:40 AM
Ilya Kirilychev
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Galion
You should have a 1/8” input jack inside the center console glovebox with your PCM 3.1. No need for the USB input with the Joyeauto module. I had a 2010 a few years ago without USB and no BT audio, It only came with the input jack.
Like I said, I don't have input AUX jack or USB input in center console.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:38 AM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hendo
Did you ever get your speaker issue solved? I have the exact same issue.

I'm playing with where to put the control box, had it in the lower area behind the PCM, but then my audio stopped. I pulled the head unit back out, noticed the joyeauto box was very hot, so I rerouted it to the glovebox. We will see if that is practical, but handy for now while I'm still experimenting.

Not sure what went wrong with the audio, but even after cooling down, completely resetting/rebooting, removing power, etc, etc. nothing worked. Then I went in to EQ settings in setup and hit "Reset" and immediately the carplay music started playing....this will be an interesting journey.
Nope, I didn't solve the rear door speaker issue. Mind you, I haven't checked recently, because the sound quality is very, very good. It doesn't make a lot of sense, because the (digital) Bose amp, from what I've read, is actually responsible for applying the spatial algorithms to create the surround sound inside the interior. So I'm assuming that it's receiving a normal stereo signal from the head unit, and splitting it apart. Why it would no longer distribute to the rear doors is beyond me.

FWIW, about 10% of the time, upon successful connection to my iPhone 8, I find there is no audio passing through, despite the PCM being on AUX. A simple quick fix is to put your iPhone into airplane mode, and then take it out, and let it reconnect to the Joyeauto box. Works every time.

Everything else works really well, with the exception of the steering wheel diamond button (which I have programmed to "skip" to the next song) doesn't work in Carplay. The manual forward/back buttons on the PCM work in Carplay, but not the Steering wheel button. Odd.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:39 AM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

What is that device going to do? Looks like it just adds an RCA plug extension to your PCM for AUX input?
Old 08-18-2020, 12:11 PM
Ilya Kirilychev
4th Gear

Originally Posted by LittleBitBent
What is that device going to do? Looks like it just adds an RCA plug extension to your PCM for AUX input?
This device is going to do exactly the same thing as the original AUX input cabel one end of which is in PCM the other female AUX in center console. I'm just trying to find a cheaper solution to add it to my car. And my question is: can anyone provide preferrbly a picture of original connector of AUX input cable which sits in PCM unit?
Old 08-24-2020, 11:15 AM
kari
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting that you dont have the aux and usb in the center console for a 3.1. Have you checked the glove box too?
In PCM 3.1, Aux inputs are part of the quadlock connector and you will have to tap into the respective pins.
See the following links for pics:
The connector harness (see all the pics): https://www.planet-9.com/threads/pcm...236077&slide=2
The pin layout pic: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16649676
The pin layout schematic: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1142...l#post15905798

The joyeauto harness that comes with the kit already taps into these points, so there is nothing additional that needs to be done. You may want to check with Joyeauto support for inputs here. It may be that you dont require any additional cables whatsover.

For those of us who already have a aux input, a 'dummy' jack is provided to 'mechanically' enable the aux input (I would guess the act of inserting the dummy jack forces an opening or closing the AUX RTN with AUX SHIELD or similar combination, an action that causes the PCM to process the signals being fed to AUX1R+ and AUX1L+... see schematic pic from link above)

If you see wires already connected to the respective pins in your harness, then you could follow the 'leads'

Last edited by kari; 08-24-2020 at 11:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ilya Kirilychev (08-25-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 04:23 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Has anyone run into specific music sounding like absolute crap through the joyeauto unit? I've noticed two albums by two different artists in my library that sound like the speakers are blown. They sound fine streaming to any other device via either bluetooth or wifi but, for some reason they sound awful on the carplay retrofit. I've looked at the files and don't see anything out of the ordinary.

Last edited by hotrod2448; 08-24-2020 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:30 PM
osunick
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 60 Posts

Usually this is clipping caused by the volume being too high going into the aux. Is there a setting to select output level on the Joyeauto? My unit has this, but it's a different brand.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:01 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by osunick
Usually this is clipping caused by the volume being too high going into the aux. Is there a setting to select output level on the Joyeauto? My unit has this, but it's a different brand.
There is a master volume output. I need to check it. there's a high likelihood I've got it set to WFO. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:31 AM
Ilya Kirilychev
4th Gear

Originally Posted by kari
Interesting that you dont have the aux and usb in the center console for a 3.1. Have you checked the glove box too?
Yes, I've checked the glove box. There is no AUX and USB either. Having AUX and USB is a separate option (you can see it by VIN decoding), and the first owner of my car didn't order this feature.

In PCM 3.1, Aux inputs are part of the quadlock connector and you will have to tap into the respective pins.
See the following links for pics:
The connector harness (see all the pics): https://www.planet-9.com/threads/pcm...236077&slide=2
The pin layout pic: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16649676
The pin layout schematic: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1142...l#post15905798
The joyeauto harness that comes with the kit already taps into these points, so there is nothing additional that needs to be done.
Thanks for the pics. That's what I need. So if joyeauto harness that comes with the kit already taps into these points, does it mean I need to disconnect the original AUX and USB connector harness (if I had them) and replace it with the joyeauto harness? Which obviously means original (not Joyeauto) AUX and USB cables will not be connected to PCM head and and inputs in center console will not be working?
Old 08-25-2020, 08:18 AM
kari
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the pics. That's what I need. So if joyeauto harness that comes with the kit already taps into these points, does it mean I need to disconnect the original AUX and USB connector harness (if I had them) and replace it with the joyeauto harness? Which obviously means original (not Joyeauto) AUX and USB cables will not be connected to PCM head and and inputs in center console will not be working?
The joyeauto carplay unit comes with a harness that acts like a 'bridge' to tap the points it needs. So you remove the entire oem quadlock connected to the PCM unit and connect it to one end of the joyeauto harness and then attach the other end of this joyeauto harness to the PCM unit.

For those of us who have an aux input in the center console, the act of inserting a dummy plug provided with the joyeauto kit allows one to toggle the aux input. But in your case since you don't have aux wiring, you may not have to do anything (unless the pcm unit does not even have the internal aux hardware) ... Except activate the PCM unit if this is an optional feature for you that requires activation - you could test this by connecting test wires from an audio source to the aux pins in the pcm unit using the pin layout as reference...

The center USB is a separate connection to the PCM unit. If you don't have it you don't lose much as the joyeauto unit comes with its own USB wiring which allows you to play USB media..

but note that the audio quality of the joyeauto unit is not in the league of any of the other native pcm audio options...

Last edited by kari; 08-25-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:37 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

The joyeauto carplay unit comes with a harness that acts like a 'bridge' to tap the points it needs. So you remove the entire oem quadlock connected to the PCM unit and connect it to one end of the joyeauto harness and then attach the other end of this joyeauto harness to the PCM unit.

For those of us who have an aux input in the center console, the act of inserting a dummy plug provided with the joyeauto kit allows one to toggle the aux input. But in your case since you don't have aux wiring, you may not have to do anything (unless the pcm unit does not even have the internal aux hardware) ... Except activate the PCM unit if this is an optional feature for you that requires activation - you could test this by connecting test wires from an audio source to the aux pins in the pcm unit using the pin layout as reference...

The center USB is a separate connection to the PCM unit. If you don't have it you don't lose much as the joyeauto unit comes with its own USB wiring which allows you to play USB media..

but note that the audio quality of the joyeauto unit is not in the league of any of the other native pcm audio options...
Agree that you may not need those. The 1/8 plug is the only thing you use. Not sure if that is a dummy plug, or if that is the bluetooth receiver, and how it gets the bluetooth for streaming. I will say as indicated above, that the streaming through the Joy Aux sounds like crap, so what I do is connect the audio via the PCM bluetooth. It also makes the phone calls go through the PCM which usese the factory mic, which I think sounds better.
The following users liked this post:
krburrell (08-26-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 10:26 PM
osunick
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
Agree that you may not need those. The 1/8 plug is the only thing you use. Not sure if that is a dummy plug, or if that is the bluetooth receiver, and how it gets the bluetooth for streaming. I will say as indicated above, that the streaming through the Joy Aux sounds like crap, so what I do is connect the audio via the PCM bluetooth. It also makes the phone calls go through the PCM which usese the factory mic, which I think sounds better.
It's not really a dummy, it's a jumper. For the Aux to work it needs to be a complete circuit so the plug bridges the contacts.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:29 AM
PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Has anyone had their reverse camera stop working, all of a sudden? When I'm in the regular PCM it works fine; but when I'm in CarPlay, it stopped changing to the camera when in reverse. I toggled between Original and Aftermarket in the NM Automotive Kit and that didn't do anything.

UPDATE: as always, Nick is all over it. A reset via a long press of the back button fixed it (I had previously tried to reset it via the on screen software button).

Last edited by PORSCHEJAYHAWK; 08-26-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )