Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 12:18 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
How about those vertical Android displays that are becoming pretty popular now. anyone try one of them? With the above, you need your PCM to be 3.1 but a lot of the earlier 958s are not 3.1 so this would be out of the question. However, the vertical Android seems like a better option.
Huh? All the 958's I've ever seen had at least a 3.1 - including my 2011. The later ones have a hard-disk storage area for tunes (Jukebox?), and the very last ones have the wider screen version. Having an add-on Android tablet just looks, pardon my French, tacky IMHO.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:19 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by BOLEN

you want me to make an android video ? I can if you need it
Yes Please!
Old 03-19-2019, 03:03 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Huh? All the 958's I've ever seen had at least a 3.1 - including my 2011. The later ones have a hard-disk storage area for tunes (Jukebox?), and the very last ones have the wider screen version. Having an add-on Android tablet just looks, pardon my French, tacky IMHO.
When i go into car info on mine, i think it shows something like 2.7. there a firmware update I can do to bring it to the 3.1 version? I'd love to connect my Note9 to the car screen while I'm using Waze. I'm with you on that giant vertical screen, just exploring options. I was curious how it integrates with all the internal things like steering controls, oem backup camera, etc...
Old 03-19-2019, 05:47 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
When i go into car info on mine, i think it shows something like 2.7. there a firmware update I can do to bring it to the 3.1 version? I'd love to connect my Note9 to the car screen while I'm using Waze. I'm with you on that giant vertical screen, just exploring options. I was curious how it integrates with all the internal things like steering controls, oem backup camera, etc...
You're confusing firmware version with PCM version. Your PCM is a 3.1, the firmware running on it is 2.7 (the most recent AFAIK..)
Old 03-19-2019, 11:49 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by matrixcare
I am very interested to retrofit for my 2016 Cayenne. My car equipped with Premium package plus (rear camera, 360" surround view shows on the Nav screen) and multi-function steering wheel.Are all these functions still work after the retrofit? Do you need to have dealer to do any programming or erase any error code? Do you have to connect your iphone via USB cable to work or can be via bluetooth to work?
I just finished the install on my 14 GTS. All OE functions work. Mine connects to Carplay either with supplied USB port or Bluetooth.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:43 AM
matrixcare
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion

I just finished the install on my 14 GTS. All OE functions work. Mine connects to Carplay either with supplied USB port or Bluetooth.
Congrats! Did you install it by yourself? If you did, is it easy to do and do you have any instruction you can share? Can you tell me where did you get it?

Cheers!
Old 03-20-2019, 11:40 AM
Galion
Pro

Originally Posted by matrixcare
Congrats! Did you install it by yourself? If you did, is it easy to do and do you have any instruction you can share? Can you tell me where did you get it?

Cheers!
Yes I installed it myself, it was a 2-3 hours job, nothing complicated but some patience involved (which I lack). I must say that I never installed a radio in my life and have zero experience with electronics.
Spent two days studying step by step these installation videos before atempting the retrofit. Also had a Whatsup # to contact one of the seller tech guys in case any doubt arise. He answered promptly.
Everything went smooth, happy with the results.

I got mine from AliExpress, do a search for “Cayenne CarPlay”, lots of good options there. The seller I ordered from was JOYEAUTO since it has BT CarPlay capability.

Check this out:

if you need any assistance with this or any other kit let me know, all of them are installed the same.
good luck

Last edited by deilenberger; 03-20-2019 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Rotated diagram..
The following users liked this post:
bihi (03-22-2021)
Old 03-20-2019, 04:28 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Were you able to retain Satellite radio board? Also, they have 3 different units to select on their website, 1 for macan and 2 for cayenne (one with white background icon and one with bluish background). Which of the two units for Cayenne did you pick? Their English description doesn't make sense to me.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:13 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Ok - what do you GIVE UP or LOSE by doing this install? Anything?

I was never a fan of CarPlay but after being in an insurance loaner for the last 6 weeks (long story) I got used to having it there. I don't want to give up any functionality (I have a 2015 Diesel with PCM 3.1, Nav, and Burmester) but if I can just ADD in CarPlay.... I'm kinda interested.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:56 PM
Galion
Pro

Originally Posted by kennyt
Were you able to retain Satellite radio board? Also, they have 3 different units to select on their website, 1 for macan and 2 for cayenne (one with white background icon and one with bluish background). Which of the two units for Cayenne did you pick? Their English description doesn't make sense to me.

this is the one I got

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/329656...A1553115154985

I don’t have sat radio so I really don’t know, but given the limited space I don’t think you can keep your sat radio board, although it’s possible.

Last edited by Galion; 03-20-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:28 PM
element
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

You need risers and it all fits - my response from another thread - you can buy risers on amazon really easy.

Mine is all installed.. I had the PCM + XM Radio and needed additional 25mm x2.5 risers and everything fits in (its tight, but fits no problem putting the DVD player back on). I put the box under the glove box since it was too tight behind the PCM. After pulling everything apart 4x im really quick at the process now!
Old 03-21-2019, 04:04 PM
Galion
Pro

Originally Posted by Hacked 987
Ok - what do you GIVE UP or LOSE by doing this install? Anything?

I was never a fan of CarPlay but after being in an insurance loaner for the last 6 weeks (long story) I got used to having it there. I don't want to give up any functionality (I have a 2015 Diesel with PCM 3.1, Nav, and Burmester) but if I can just ADD in CarPlay.... I'm kinda interested.
You loose nothing but gain a lot. Very clever and clean solution for the dated PCM 3.1.
The only thing I didn’t like was having the flimsy CarPlay USB port sticking out from one side of the center console. I installed a fixed USB male to female extension inside the glovebox and now everything looks 100% OE.
The SIRI mic is also hidden inside the steering column so you can’t see it.
The following users liked this post:
Nhirsch (03-09-2020)
Old 03-25-2019, 11:01 AM
kennyt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you lose the factory USB connection in the center console?
Old 03-25-2019, 11:03 AM
BOLEN
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you lose the factory USB connection in the center console?
No you do not.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:05 PM
quantz
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
The SIRI mic is also hidden inside the steering column so you can’t see it.
Does the mic work properly from that position? I understand that this mic is the one that is going to be used for phone calls with Apple car play instead the original one? I am very concerned about loosing voice quality for handsfree phone use. Thanks!

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )