Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 01:02 PM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by kurdoc
Just like Boomer80, I ordered mine from Aliexpress Joyauto and got the Black Friday deal. I got it delivered yesterday and installed today.
The installation video from joyeauto is great. The only thing is that their example does not have the Satellite card, and they use the opening on the PCM to run the LVDS out cable thru it.
I had to improvise to accommodate the LVDS out cable.

Besides that, the only other inconvenience was an ECHO during a phone call on the other caller side. After a quick whatsapp txt with their tech support, the solution was explained.
The iPhone has to be connected via bluetooth to both devices, the PCM and the Joye kit. The phone calls will go through the PCM, accepting and ending the calls via de steering wheel controls or PLC buttons. DO NOT accept or make a phone call using the CarPlay touch screen, 'cause it will go through the joye kit (huge echo). Their microphone is there only for Siri or voice input for apps.

I haven't have the chance to test the unit for more that 5 minutes. I'll drive the car tomorrow to test its complete functionality.

So far, I am very pleased with the outcome.

BTW, installed on a 2016 Cayenne Diesel
Originally Posted by F SANE IL
Finally, just pulled the trigger on this. Long time observer, I think its time...

Says its 10-day shipping. Hoping this all goes well.
I ordered mine on Black Friday and got email from Aliexpress that it had shipped on Monday 12/2 and received it on Friday 12/6. I was expecting at least 2 weeks so I was pleasantly surprised I got it in 7 days.

I haven't installed it yet as I'm still trying to make sure I understand all of the install before I start tearing everything apart. I'm kind of bummed that it looks like Kurdoc had to drill out the PCM chassis in order to feed the LVDS cable thru. The videos don't show that and I also saw that in a video for a guy who did the install in a 991.

I also am trying to understand some of the wiring. There are 2 loose wires (orange and brown) in the smaller cable I'm not sure what they connect to? I see in a previous post that someone comments about an orange wire having to be disconnected from the original 48 pin connector and I'm not sure about this and the instructions don't really help me. The brown wire I'm also puzzled by, as it labeled “key in” I know there is a fused wire which goes to the ACC fuse block, but what is this wire for?

I've created a word document with every relevant piece of info from this thread to help me as I begin the install to reference. I plan on creating a DIY when I'm done to hopefully help others when they do it, as the Joyeauto instructions and install could definitely be improved.

Last edited by Boomer80; 12-09-2019 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Correction
The following users liked this post:
Noah Fect (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 01:06 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 258 Posts

@kurdoc Thanks for the pics - did you take any during the setup of the Sat board re-mounting?
Old 12-09-2019, 01:48 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

Kurdoc.

Thanks for the write up. 2 questions.

1. Can you share the link to the unit that you purchased?
2. Does the multifunction button continue to work on the steering wheel (can you skip songs with it)?
Old 12-09-2019, 02:33 PM
regger02
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion

I just finished the install on my 14 GTS. All OE functions work. Mine connects to Carplay either with supplied USB port or Bluetooth.
Hi Galion,

I have a '16 Cayenne with the 360 deg view. Just confirming that you were able to keep the sorround view with the aftermarket head unit. Any details on this would be appreciated.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:59 PM
kurdoc
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer80
I ordered mine on Black Friday and got email from Aliexpress that it had shipped on Monday 12/2 and received it on Friday 12/6. I was expecting at least 2 weeks so I was pleasantly surprised I got it in 7 days.

I haven't installed it yet as I'm still trying to make sure I understand all of the install before I start tearing everything apart. I'm kind of bummed that it looks like Kurdoc had to drill out the PCM chassis in order to feed the LVDS cable thru. The videos don't show that and I also saw that in a video for a guy who did the install in a 991.

I also am trying to understand some of the wiring. There are 2 loose wires (orange and red) in the 48 pin cable that I'm not sure what they connect to . I see in a previous post that someone comments about an orange wire having to be disconnected from the original 48 pin connector and I'm not sure about this and the instructions don't really help me. The red wire I'm also puzzled by. I know there is a fused wire which goes to the ACC fuse block, but what is this other red wire for?

I've created a word document with every relevant piece of info from this thread to help me as I begin the install to reference. I plan on creating a DIY when I'm done to hopefully help others when they do it, as the Joyeauto instructions and install could definitely be improved.
- I did not use the two loose wires (orange and red). I guess they can be removed from the harness, but I decided to keep them. I think is a universal harness for different models.
- There is a fused wired that needs to be connected to a "switched power" source. I didn't have any of the spaces mentioned above (in the forum) available in my fuse box, so I used a voltmeter to find an available one.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:23 PM
kurdoc
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by cbracerx
@kurdoc Thanks for the pics - did you take any during the setup of the Sat board re-mounting?
There is no need to remove the SAT board. If you advise the seller they will send you an extra set of risers. You'll need a total of 6 of them, staking them by pairs. See image bellow:

The risers will allow you to mount the Joyeatuto card above the SAT card. It fits tight.

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
Kurdoc.

Thanks for the write up. 2 questions.

1. Can you share the link to the unit that you purchased?
2. Does the multifunction button continue to work on the steering wheel (can you skip songs with it)?
1. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296...w1575918843199
2. Since the audio input must be in AUX, from the steering wheel you can adjust volume and pause the song (I tried using Spotify). I tried the buttons on the PCM and they do work (skip songs). Also the phone buttons, answer and hang-up, work too.
cbracerx (12-10-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 07:26 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by regger02
Hi Galion,

I have a '16 Cayenne with the 360 deg view. Just confirming that you were able to keep the sorround view with the aftermarket head unit. Any details on this would be appreciated.
Yes, my 360 camera works as intended with the Joyeauto CarPlay module. Still pleased with the upgraded after all these months.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:57 PM
timmyz06
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by quantz
Does the mic work properly from that position? I understand that this mic is the one that is going to be used for phone calls with Apple car play instead the original one? I am very concerned about loosing voice quality for handsfree phone use. Thanks!
Good question, can i still oem Bluetooth for calls? If i have no intention to use siri or nay voices activated features, can just avoid the mic install? Lastly, conecting phone is via Bluetooth right, now physical wire needed?
Old 12-13-2019, 09:41 PM
kurdoc
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by timmyz06
Good question, can i still oem Bluetooth for calls? If i have no intention to use siri or nay voices activated features, can just avoid the mic install? Lastly, conecting phone is via Bluetooth right, now physical wire needed?
Yes, you can should use the OEM Bluetooth for calls.
I find useful to have the mic for voice activated features. But, I guess you can avoid the mic install.
No physical wire needed. Keep in mind that firmware updates are via USB port.

Regards,

kurdoc.-
timmyz06 (12-13-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 11:35 AM
H2Ocooledesteem
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Where do you perform the updates at? I would like to download them before I install my joeauto unit.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:47 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
Finally, just pulled the trigger on this. Long time observer, I think its time...

Says its 10-day shipping. Hoping this all goes well.
Received my order exactly 8 days after ordering. I'll be inside the PCM next week hopefully. Perfect timing because one of my cupholder springs popped out and needs my help finding it's way home.
kurdoc (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 06:59 PM
kurdoc
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by H2Ocooledesteem
Where do you perform the updates at? I would like to download them before I install my joeauto unit.
I haven't done it yet. You'll have to txt via whatsapp the joyeauto tech support for instructions.
My system still works perfectly. No complains.
From my unit:
System version: 3.1.0.R8.10/21/19 11:58.58abae6

Regards,
kurdoc.-
Old 12-18-2019, 07:30 PM
Joseesq
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kurdoc
There is no need to remove the SAT board. If you advise the seller they will send you an extra set of risers. You'll need a total of 6 of them, staking them by pairs. See image bellow:

The risers will allow you to mount the Joyeatuto card above the SAT card. It fits tight.

1. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296...w1575918843199
2. Since the audio input must be in AUX, from the steering wheel you can adjust volume and pause the song (I tried using Spotify). I tried the buttons on the PCM and they do work (skip songs). Also the phone buttons, answer and hang-up, work too.

The product says "Android." Does this item work with iphones? Thanks.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:08 PM
kurdoc
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Joseesq
I have only tried with an iPhone.
My understanding is that it will work also with Android phones.

Hope this helps.

kurdoc.-
Old 12-18-2019, 09:15 PM
kurdoc
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Joseesq
I have only tried with an iPhone.
My understanding is that it will work also with Android phones.

Hope this helps.

kurdoc.-

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )