Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Update - interim survey results:

Initial qualification:

Only seen by someone reporting multiple failures (1 person):

Seen by everyone reporting a failure:

Only seen by people who DID NOT report a failure:

Seen by EVERYONE who takes the survey:

My Conclusions: More failures than non-failures, a number of people (8) resolved the issue by changing the oil. Porsche is stepping up to the plate - at least partially - in replacing the TC's. Only 1 diesel is reporting a failure. Failures were reported on models from 2011 to 2016 (about when the new vent kit was introduced to new-vehicle production.) All models except hybrid are possible failure points, but diesel is much less likely (30% of the survey - out of 8 diesels reporting - only 1 reporting a failure - about 12% of the diesels. 1% of vehicles reporting.. Gas engine vehicles 55,4% reported a failure.) Hybrids are unknown - no responses from them.

The survey remains open - if you haven't responded, please DO. It can be found at: https://goo.gl/forms/fF75xsoM24nuLVhE2
Old 10-15-2018, 04:36 AM
marinerbc
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Update - interim survey results:

Initial qualification:

Only seen by someone reporting multiple failures (1 person):

Seen by everyone reporting a failure:

Only seen by people who DID NOT report a failure:

Seen by EVERYONE who takes the survey:

My Conclusions: More failures than non-failures, a number of people (8) resolved the issue by changing the oil. Porsche is stepping up to the plate - at least partially - in replacing the TC's. Only 1 diesel is reporting a failure. Failures were reported on models from 2011 to 2016 (about when the new vent kit was introduced to new-vehicle production.) All models except hybrid are possible failure points, but diesel is much less likely (30% of the survey - out of 8 diesels reporting - only 1 reporting a failure - about 12% of the diesels. 1% of vehicles reporting.. Gas engine vehicles 55,4% reported a failure.) Hybrids are unknown - no responses from them.

The survey remains open - if you haven't responded, please DO. It can be found at: https://goo.gl/forms/fF75xsoM24nuLVhE2

First class effort, thank you for all of your work and help.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:35 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Since my 2011 CTT was kind of a TC poster child with two separate replacements, I went in and filled out the survey including some details.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:39 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by pepperpepper

have you collected any data points on diesel TC failures?
Thought I'd update this - with 80 responses, and over 45 failures, only one is a diesel engine TC failure report. In that case - my WAG is it was a misdiagnosis on the part of the dealer leading to the replacement, or simply a broken transfer case having nothing much in common with the failures recorded for the gasoline engine Cayennes.

So if you want to avoid XFer case problems - get a diesel..
The following users liked this post:
krombacher (07-24-2020)
Old 11-17-2018, 02:06 PM
deilenberger
Banned

With 81 responses - the percentages haven't changed hugely.. I'll attach a PDF report with the results to date:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
958 Transfer Case Statistics.pdf (417.8 KB, 122 views)
krombacher (07-24-2020)
Old 11-18-2018, 05:25 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 72 Posts

Responded. 128,000 miles 2011 S on original transfer case. I’m the second owner first owner piled on the miles on the highway.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:53 PM
PDubya958
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I finally filled out the survey. I have a 2014 diesel which had the TC issue November 2017 with 33k miles. I responded to another TC thread on the site last year and think I was the first with a diesel to post about it. No issues since the dealership replaced the TC.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:34 AM
Jose Rivas
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought the car a month ago and looked for signs of transfer case, did not find it. bought the Fidelity warranty(2 years / 24,000 miles) and sure enough 3 weeks into owning it. I got the signs of transfer case issue. I took it to Porsche, they immediately diagnosed it as so. Thank god I got the warranty.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:13 PM
deilenberger
Banned

To view the results of the survey - you can click on: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F.../viewanalytics
krombacher (07-24-2020)
Old 12-26-2018, 12:13 AM
Mrturbo16
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

My 16 turbo had 5600 miles when I bought it, during test drive I did not notice it but after a few days I noticed a slight hesitation and shuddering when turning, sure enough the dealer diagnosed that it was the TC. It is quite worrisome this kind of problems with this mileage. The dealer said that they are not experiencing further failures after changing the units, from the amount of repeated failures that sounds like BS.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:11 PM
oz-cayenne
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, i have been reading so many forms about this transfer case issue.My head is burning. Im out of warranty and i have the problem. I decided to get a after market warranty about $4000 and take it to dealer.
I had an appointment with dealer bu i canceled. Bc i was scared if they put in the system it would be harder for me to get the warranty. So my plan as follow:
-get the warranty
-take it to dealer and try to get it fix for free (they told me they can submit form and see manufacturer would cover and this goes by usually ur relationship with dealer and how often you service with them ,so they will probably not cover mine)
- if they do cover with low cost just pay them and cancel the warranty
-if not ,use the warranty and keep it.

I can not think any better option. please let me know if you have better ideas.And if anyone thinks it would be recall about this soon.Good luck all.

fyi: 2013 base cayenne, 63k mile
and i will change the fluid soon to see if it effects.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:29 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by oz-cayenne
Hey guys, i have been reading so many forms about this transfer case issue.My head is burning. Im out of warranty and i have the problem. I decided to get a after market warranty about $4000 and take it to dealer.
I had an appointment with dealer bu i canceled. Bc i was scared if they put in the system it would be harder for me to get the warranty. So my plan as follow:
-get the warranty
-take it to dealer and try to get it fix for free (they told me they can submit form and see manufacturer would cover and this goes by usually ur relationship with dealer and how often you service with them ,so they will probably not cover mine)
- if they do cover with low cost just pay them and cancel the warranty
-if not ,use the warranty and keep it.

I can not think any better option. please let me know if you have better ideas.And if anyone thinks it would be recall about this soon.Good luck all.

fyi: 2013 base cayenne, 63k mile
and i will change the fluid soon to see if it effects.
Insuring and claiming something after the something already happened IS insurance fraud. Given the price of the TC - you can be certain the insurance/warranty company is going to question it.
Bassman37 (02-03-2020)
Old 02-14-2019, 01:25 PM
Mike41
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I read correctly only 1 person has had to replace the transfer case a 2nd time, is this correct?

Also, in that case was the first replacement an original design without a vent?

Also would be curious as to how many of the new design with vents have failed? (looking for an indication if the design change truly fixed the problem).

Very good info. here!

Mike
Old 02-14-2019, 01:45 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike41
If I read correctly only 1 person has had to replace the transfer case a 2nd time, is this correct?

Also would be curious as to how many of the new design with vents have failed? (looking for an indication if the design change truly fixed the problem).

Very good info. here!

Mike
Mike,

Sorry to say - no - there have been a number of 2nd and even 3rd time replacements. It isn't clear if any with the redesigned vent kit (venting it up in the engine compartment) has helped in those cases or not. I have a suspicion that environmental factors may be at least partly to blame for TC failure - large puddles or fording flood sort of things. If the car continues in that environment after replacement, and nothing was done to the vent - it wouldn't surprise me to see a second or even third failure.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:17 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike41

Very good info. here!

Mike
Hi Mike,

That may have been mine (although Don pointed out that there have actually been several folks reporting multiple TC failures). Mine was a 2011 CTT (since traded). The original owner had it replaced at just over 30k miles with a non-vented original design/gen TC. That lasted just around 30k miles, at which time I had to replace it in the 60k mile range. This 2nd time the new revised version of the TC was available with the vent kit, etc. I traded it roughly 10k miles after the 2nd replacement, but it was still going strong at least at that time. During the time I owned the vehicle it was not driven overly aggressive at all, not tracked, not even driven in the rain much, yet the first replacement still failed in about 30k miles. I hope this second replacement is the last one it ever needs, but I'll never know.

Now as these 958.1 gen CTTs are getting up in miles/age, the PTV+ equipped vehicles seem to be having their fair share of PTV differential problems as well, but alas that's another issue (but one to also be aware of ...there's been some recent discussion in this forum).

Best of luck with yours, sincerely.

Quick Reply: Transfer-case stats survey - please particpate