Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019 | 11:47 PM
timmyz06
Advanced

My current one:

Old 06-01-2019 | 04:34 AM
deilenberger
Banned

I took mine to an auto-glass shop in San Francisco to have the two passenger side windows replaced, after they were smashed last night in a parking lot in Oakland CA. Was visiting a relative who thought the lot across from her apartment was safe - it wasn't. When we returned to the car around 9PM, it had the two windows smashed out, and 4 other cars had single windows smashed out. The thief stole a cloth bag with a few road-maps in it. Value - less than $2 retail. Value to a pawn shop - $0. Cost to replace the two windows - $724. That's not counting the eventual cost of replacing the power shade assembly on the rear door - which was ripped when the window glass hit it.

Big thumbs up to Porsche of Marin, who had the windows in stock (tells you something about the area) and recommended the shop in SF when they couldn't do the work due to a full shop. The shop they recommended was GlassWorld on South VanNess in SF - highly recommended. It was filled with BMWs sent there by the nearby BMW dealer - all of them getting side windows replaced that had been smashed. Also a few Audi's scattered around the shop. They did a meticulous job and completed the work in about 3 hours.

Luckily I keep my comprehensive deductible at a minimal value so the cost out of pocket won't be too great - but it did result in us staying an extra night at a hotel in Emeryville - sp there was some additional cost.

BTW - the Oakland police wouldn't come to the lot when called on 911... but they do have a nice on-line "report a crime" form so my insurance company will have something to work with. The owner of the glass shop said there were about 32,000 smashed windows reported in 2018 in the SF area (he's President of a trade organization for glass shops..) It seems a profitable line of work,
Old 06-01-2019 | 08:10 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I took mine to an auto-glass shop in San Francisco to have the two passenger side windows replaced, after they were smashed last night in a parking lot in Oakland CA. Was visiting a relative who thought the lot across from her apartment was safe - it wasn't. When we returned to the car around 9PM, it had the two windows smashed out, and 4 other cars had single windows smashed out. The thief stole a cloth bag with a few road-maps in it. Value - less than $2 retail. Value to a pawn shop - $0. Cost to replace the two windows - $724. That's not counting the eventual cost of replacing the power shade assembly on the rear door - which was ripped when the window glass hit it.

Big thumbs up to Porsche of Marin, who had the windows in stock (tells you something about the area) and recommended the shop in SF when they couldn't do the work due to a full shop. The shop they recommended was GlassWorld on South VanNess in SF - highly recommended. It was filled with BMWs sent there by the nearby BMW dealer - all of them getting side windows replaced that had been smashed. Also a few Audi's scattered around the shop. They did a meticulous job and completed the work in about 3 hours.

Luckily I keep my comprehensive deductible at a minimal value so the cost out of pocket won't be too great - but it did result in us staying an extra night at a hotel in Emeryville - sp there was some additional cost.

BTW - the Oakland police wouldn't come to the lot when called on 911... but they do have a nice on-line "report a crime" form so my insurance company will have something to work with. The owner of the glass shop said there were about 32,000 smashed windows reported in 2018 in the SF area (he's President of a trade organization for glass shops..) It seems a profitable line of work,
That sucks. Vehicle break ins are pretty much an epidemic in that area. A group of my coworkers had a similar experience with multiple rental cars parked in a high traffic area in fishermans wharf. Drugs are bad.
Old 06-02-2019 | 08:25 PM
FunVr6
Track Day

Replaced silver rear hatch emblem and trim to black to match exterior gloss package. The trim took a good amount of fishing line to remove. Tried different solvents but the last pic was the best i could do shaving off the residue, new trim fit perfectly
Old 06-02-2019 | 09:20 PM
Slickdvl
Pro

Link to trim in black - and how does it affix?
Old 06-02-2019 | 10:48 PM
FunVr6
Track Day

Originally Posted by Slickdvl
Link to trim in black - and how does it affix?
Bought the trim from suncoast: https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...1.htmlsuncoast

It just glues on. There is double sided tape affixed to the new trim. Once you are ready to affix just peel back to expose the adhesive. Very easy to center as there is a platic peg on the trim which clicks into the body, you can see the hole in one of the pics.

Any other questions feel free to ask
Old 06-02-2019 | 11:59 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Flew out to Dallas on Friday to eyeball a 2016 CD of the Meteor Gray variety. After some minor issues which the dealer fixed, two hours later I was the new owner. 1200+ mile road trip and she's home.

Let the mods and pics begin.

The following users liked this post:
twitch54 (08-01-2020)
Old 06-03-2019 | 02:40 AM
Elberoth
Racer

Nice one! I would start with new wheels and full-LED headlights.
Old 06-03-2019 | 10:16 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Swapped out the fuel filter on my wife's CD last night. Next up is oil change and cabin air filter.
Old 06-04-2019 | 10:16 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Oil change done and swapped in the new "upgraded" torx bit oil pan bolt. This is, by far and away, the dirtiest oil change I've ever had to do. No matter what I do, the oil just sprays *everywhere*.
Old 06-04-2019 | 01:35 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Originally Posted by docwyte
Oil change done and swapped in the new "upgraded" torx bit oil pan bolt. This is, by far and away, the dirtiest oil change I've ever had to do. No matter what I do, the oil just sprays *everywhere*.
Sounds like you need a vacuum extractor. Cleanest oil changes I've ever done.

On my Touareg, once a year I'd pop the oil pan drain plug off just to see if there's any crud that comes out that the extractor doesn't get. Planning to do the same on the CD.

Got a PN for this new oil pan drain bolt?
Old 06-04-2019 | 07:37 PM
PDubya958
Advanced

Drove my CD from the Washington DC area to Frankfort, KY with two of my buddies to do the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. We left on Thursday and returned Monday. 1000 mile round trip. Did tours at 9 distilleries and learned something new each time. And of course we came back with a full trunk!!. And the Bluegrass Parkway there seems to be like the autobahn, posted 70mph, I'm cruising at 79 and grandma in CRV passes me like I'm sitting still.
Old 06-05-2019 | 11:15 AM
Mrg02D
Racer

Originally Posted by PDubya958
Drove my CD from the Washington DC area to Frankfort, KY with two of my buddies to do the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. We left on Thursday and returned Monday. 1000 mile round trip. Did tours at 9 distilleries and learned something new each time. And of course we came back with a full trunk!!. And the Bluegrass Parkway there seems to be like the autobahn, posted 70mph, I'm cruising at 79 and grandma in CRV passes me like I'm sitting still.
You’re making me thirsty!
Old 06-07-2019 | 06:40 PM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrewDude
Flew out to Dallas on Friday to eyeball a 2016 CD of the Meteor Gray variety. After some minor issues which the dealer fixed, two hours later I was the new owner. 1200+ mile road trip and she's home.

Let the mods and pics begin.
Very Cool. Is that the one that was at Palomino Motors right off I35-E?
Old 06-07-2019 | 09:59 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

I also just flew out to Dallas and drove a Cayenne home!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 958 today?