Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anybody running a Malone tune on their diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 08:06 PM
Hawkpilot6060
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the pictures. Hope to get mine done soon.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:55 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 358 Posts

Hmm. Pretty sure they do an OBD scan here to make sure all the emissions stuff is still connected. I suppose I could flash it back to stock after I plug the EGR back in but I'm not sure it's worth my time vs just running a Stage 2 tune with all the emissions stuff still there/working
Old 06-14-2021, 09:10 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Unfortunately having a warranty carrot dangling around makes it difficult to go too far down the rabbit hole 😭. I look forward to removing the dpf and running a quality oil as I did with the merc. I first had a tune to disable the egr/dpf/and swirl valves, after driving a few days I dropped it off to have dpf removed. After picking up the car felt so much more alive. I am not sure if my dpf was plugged as I never had any codes other then the sensor. Also looking into the restrictive honeycomb chamber I understand why.

My thought after finding a CD is to make sure any initial warranty issues are taken care of then to get started. Worst case I would have to reverse and reflash and hopefully not get denied. Not sure how strict the dealerships are on this. My biggest concern for warranty is the rear main seal I see mentioned.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:02 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by DrZ1
Unfortunately having a warranty carrot dangling around makes it difficult to go too far down the rabbit hole 😭. I look forward to removing the dpf and running a quality oil as I did with the merc. I first had a tune to disable the egr/dpf/and swirl valves, after driving a few days I dropped it off to have dpf removed. After picking up the car felt so much more alive. I am not sure if my dpf was plugged as I never had any codes other then the sensor. Also looking into the restrictive honeycomb chamber I understand why.

My thought after finding a CD is to make sure any initial warranty issues are taken care of then to get started. Worst case I would have to reverse and reflash and hopefully not get denied. Not sure how strict the dealerships are on this. My biggest concern for warranty is the rear main seal I see mentioned.
I have the same exact concern (rear main seal) even though I don't have any issues right now but you never know in the future.

I have question for you, how easy is it to reverse the delete? would it take time to install back the dpf ?
Old 06-15-2021, 03:44 AM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-997
I have the same exact concern (rear main seal) even though I don't have any issues right now but you never know in the future.

I have question for you, how easy is it to reverse the delete? would it take time to install back the dpf ?
For the CD I am unsure as I have yet to find one optioned as I am looking for. Also my Mercedes was an 08 that I purchased in 2013 because it was the last year with a full spare and no adblue. So to return to stock would be simpler. I didn’t install the replacement pipe but seemed simple enough with a lift. I have seen mention of Rawtec pipes as a replacement for the stock pieces, not sure if other options. I would check with those here who have. Down the road I’d like to possibly remove the adblue, if advantageous in repair or space saving, unless there is a benifit to keeping.

So I am also curious.

Last edited by DrZ1; 06-15-2021 at 03:46 AM.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:13 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

You can flash back but the ECU has a flash counter and Porsche will know the car has been tuned. VW/Audi are very aggressive about tagging cars that've been tuned and denying warranty coverage, I wouldn't want to take the risk on the Porsche...
Old 06-15-2021, 11:03 AM
ChrisTDI
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
VW/Audi are very aggressive about tagging cars that've been tuned and denying warranty coverage, I wouldn't want to take the risk on the Porsche...
Many dealers actually flash tunes so I am going to have to disagree.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:06 AM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

You can flash back but the ECU has a flash counter and Porsche will know the car has been tuned. VW/Audi are very aggressive about tagging cars that've been tuned and denying warranty coverage, I wouldn't want to take the risk on the Porsche...
My question was not specifically on tuning/flashing. I know my dealer wont deny my warranty claim because of this but if they noticed there is missing DPF then it is something else.

Is it easy to install back the deletes or is it alot of hassle? If it requires alot of work, I would just wait until my warranty is over to get this done.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:12 AM
ChrisTDI
Racer

Originally Posted by 911-997
My question was not specifically on tuning/flashing. I know my dealer wont deny my warranty claim because of this but if they noticed there is missing DPF then it is something else.

Is it easy to install back the deletes or is it alot of hassle? If it requires alot of work, I would just wait until my warranty is over to get this done.
Its my understanding that the sub frame dose not have to be removed. I count 3 bolts on the rawteck pipe that I have in the garage.
I found an oil leak in my CD at the rear main seal area recently, between the block and transmission, so I'll flash back to stock and bring it in.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:42 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisTDI
Many dealers actually flash tunes so I am going to have to disagree.
That doesn't matter. When the dealer hooks up their scan tool it automatically scans the ECU and looks for a tune. If it finds something it then sends it off to AoA or VWoA, the dealer has no control over that. Just because the dealer, who an an independent franchisee sells tunes doesn't mean that VW/Audi won't deny coverage because of the tune. The only way to avoid that is for the dealer to not hook up the scan tool, which basically has to happen for any service...
Old 06-16-2021, 10:02 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

... but I'm not sure it's worth my time vs just running a Stage 2 tune with all the emissions stuff still there/working
Of course everyone will have different experiences, but a friend ran a stage 2 tune with DPF/SCR still in place and functional for a while. Their driving was a mix of short commutes and 1 or 2 very long highway trips a month so there was opportunity for regens to take place. However, the DPF needed to be replaced just under 30k miles later. Was it coincidence, or did the extra fueling of the tune create too much soot/ash and filled up the DPF early... We may never know.

Dealer / PCNA didn't give them any grief about being flashed back to stock when they brought it in.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:05 AM
ChrisTDI
Racer

My CD just went in for diagnostic for the dreaded upper timing chain leak that's super common for all makes with the 3.0 tdi motor. I'm out of CPO warranty but within diesel-gate extended warranty. I flashed mine back to stock right before dropping it off. Well see how it goes.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:23 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
Of course everyone will have different experiences, but a friend ran a stage 2 tune with DPF/SCR still in place and functional for a while. Their driving was a mix of short commutes and 1 or 2 very long highway trips a month so there was opportunity for regens to take place. However, the DPF needed to be replaced just under 30k miles later. Was it coincidence, or did the extra fueling of the tune create too much soot/ash and filled up the DPF early... We may never know.

Dealer / PCNA didn't give them any grief about being flashed back to stock when they brought it in.
I would hope the tune wouldn't negatively impact the emissions gear. I'm sure most of the tunes that Malone sells don't delete the emissions gear and people will be pissed if their tune kills the emissions stuff. I know I'll be unhappy if the tune kills the emissions stuff on mine, especially since when I tune it the warranty will basically be up. I won't want to have to pay for that stuff myself...
Old 06-16-2021, 04:44 PM
Sixliner6
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisTDI
My CD just went in for diagnostic for the dreaded upper timing chain leak that's super common for all makes with the 3.0 tdi motor. I'm out of CPO warranty but within diesel-gate extended warranty. I flashed mine back to stock right before dropping it off. Well see how it goes.
Please update us on what they say. Mine has the same leak and I’m about to get the process started.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:53 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

I would hope the tune wouldn't negatively impact the emissions gear. I'm sure most of the tunes that Malone sells don't delete the emissions gear and people will be pissed if their tune kills the emissions stuff. I know I'll be unhappy if the tune kills the emissions stuff on mine, especially since when I tune it the warranty will basically be up. I won't want to have to pay for that stuff myself...
Perhaps the stage 1 will produce less soot?

Quick Reply: Anybody running a Malone tune on their diesel?