Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anybody running a Malone tune on their diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 11:03 AM
Topshelf
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixliner6
I have the exact problem with mine. Pulling out and hardly any acceleration then BOOM it all accelerates at once. Guess the turbo has to spool up. I did the Malone stage 1 with EGR disabled and it didn't change at all. I'm going to clean out the intake soon and see if that helps.
Oh, well that's concerning to hear. Is your hesitation all the time, or just under certain random situations? A $600 tune and you noticed nothing at all?
Old 09-03-2021, 01:25 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

This is my .02 cents and I hope I am wrong. It is my understanding that any tune is on top of the oem software. So, basically trying to modify but not replacing it. Any issues with the oem will still
show up. I have only seen Joe at Club Touareg try to redo the computer software but I think he gave up because of the lack of tools to deep dive into the system
Old 09-03-2021, 02:16 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
This is my .02 cents and I hope I am wrong. It is my understanding that any tune is on top of the oem software. So, basically trying to modify but not replacing it. Any issues with the oem will still
show up. I have only seen Joe at Club Touareg try to redo the computer software but I think he gave up because of the lack of tools to deep dive into the system
I think it depends on where the issue is in the software. A tune changes the values in the engine mapping section of the software. If the lack of response is caused by falling into a specific area of the map that is not properly tuned (more likely tuned to limit emissions in adverse situations) a tuner should be able to correct that. If the situation is caused by a function in the software (like the engine ECU waiting for a response from the Trans ECU before making any power) we are probably stuck with it.

Old 09-03-2021, 04:54 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Yes, a proper tune should resolve this issue, and there's reports from members stating it has...assuming we're talking about the same issue.

That said, I emailed Malone the other day and haven't received any response yet which is a little disappointing. I'll give them the benefit of the holiday weekend though and hope to hear next week.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:27 PM
Sixliner6
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Topshelf
Oh, well that's concerning to hear. Is your hesitation all the time, or just under certain random situations? A $600 tune and you noticed nothing at all?
I can’t blame it on the tune. I bought several so when I do the full delete I already have them. I’m just reluctant to go stage 2 EGR delete that I already have until I get my timing chain cover leak repaired under warranty.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:37 PM
Topshelf
Racer

After chatting with Malone and the wife, I've decided to just go for it and go Stage 2 with full delete. Only debate is the downpipe, though I'm thinking stock is fine on that.

Anyway, does anyone with a full delete with or without the downpipe mod have an audio/video clip of the exhaust sound? Just curious if it will improve the sound at all. She does like a little growl. lol
Old 09-11-2021, 09:40 AM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 270 Posts

After chatting with Malone and the wife, I've decided to just go for it and go Stage 2 with full delete. Only debate is the downpipe, though I'm thinking stock is fine on that.

Anyway, does anyone with a full delete with or without the downpipe mod have an audio/video clip of the exhaust sound? Just curious if it will improve the sound at all. She does like a little growl. lol
I could not hear a difference. I have not done the down pipe. You do hear a bit of turbo spool around 2k rpm and partial throttle. But the cayenne is so well insulated, not much changes...
Old 09-11-2021, 09:53 AM
Topshelf
Racer

Originally Posted by cwheeler
I could not hear a difference. I have not done the down pipe. You do hear a bit of turbo spool around 2k rpm and partial throttle. But the cayenne is so well insulated, not much changes...
Ok, thanks for the info. Bummer as after the CarPlay and tune/delete the only things she would like is some rumble and new wheels. Looks like she'll get everything but the rumble then.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:24 AM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 270 Posts

Ok, thanks for the info. Bummer as after the CarPlay and tune/delete the only things she would like is some rumble and new wheels. Looks like she'll get everything but the rumble then.
I seen some Touareg on YouTube that have done a rear muffler swap or deletes that create some noise. But I'm ok with the quietness on the cayenne.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:24 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 306 Posts

TopShelf

You have a lot of people following you.
Please keep us informed of your journey.

Thank you.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:16 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Originally Posted by KBell
TopShelf

You have a lot of people following you.
Please keep us informed of your journey.

Thank you.
Ha, will do! Stage 2/delete will happen in early 2022 after CPO expires. I also have a few thoughts on solving the sound issue once that's complete even though I know some will roll their eyes at it. Luckily I'm too old to care about that. lol. Might also dip the car as it needs some interest. Maybe I'll take some project videos and post them into my sim racing channel...
Old 09-14-2021, 12:19 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

My friend did the downpipe and DPF/SCR delete (but kept the stock muffler) on his Touareg, and under full throttle / above 3k RPM, you can hear just a touch of the exhaust note inside. It didn't seem objectionable.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:40 PM
aututto
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Looking forward to the malone feedback. Though we're outside of CPO (150k on our '13), my shop recommended not tuning until egr or things of the like fail. Then its easy to justify a tune/delete cost instead of repairing. The second any of the ABC's fail I think they'll all go away and a stage 2 will be loaded.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:05 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by aututto
Looking forward to the malone feedback. Though we're outside of CPO (150k on our '13), my shop recommended not tuning until egr or things of the like fail. Then its easy to justify a tune/delete cost instead of repairing. The second any of the ABC's fail I think they'll all go away and a stage 2 will be loaded.
Think of it as preventive maintenance.. Why wait?

Last edited by lml999; 11-03-2021 at 12:36 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Eskimo1:
911-997 (11-03-2021), aututto (01-24-2022), lml999 (11-03-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 08:34 PM
RLHornbeck
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The Malone tune for the Cayenne is great. Having been in both the stage 2 and the stage 2 with delete there is a definite difference in the power and mileage (if you stay out of it) between the two. The difference I noticed between stock and stage two without a delete is mainly smoothing out the power at all stages, especially the reduction in initial takeoff lag. One issue with the delete was the small droplets of soot that collected on the tailgate, sometimes when using the tailgate I would get a bit of soot on my hands, not a big deal but you had to watch for it.

As a side note Malone is having a 15% off sale for Black Friday, so it might be time to go for it.

Quick Reply: Anybody running a Malone tune on their diesel?