Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anybody running a Malone tune on their diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 03:51 PM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by coffeeisgood

[size=13px]For stage 1 Malone Tune, there an interesting new? option / add on
for + $249 USD (on top of the stage 1 tune price)

Dynamic EGR
keeps the EGR operating stock like the engine reaches "warmed up" temperature, usually about 60deg C. Then it closes so there is no EGR flow. All EGR hardware must be functional to use this feature. This feature is ideal for customers who want the advantages of the EGR systems while prolonging component life.

ECU Add-on Tunes [/size]

https://tunezilla.com/blog/139/why-you-need-dynamic-egr-1700609924

It appears this option / add on might not have been available until Nov-2023
besides "prolonging component life", what other advantages would this offer?

If you run on the stage 1 tune because you do not want to remove / delete & potentially flash back to stock if necessary to pass emissions? (i.e. maybe California, cough), this is interesting
anyone running or have any experience with this ECU Add-on Tune? "Dynamic EGR"
Yup, I've got it running alongside the ECU and the TCU tunes, and two things I have noticed:
1) I can smell the exhaust now when the car is hot/warmed up.
2) My gas mileage has gone up. I can now average around 36mpg combined, and even higher on the highway.

I expected to go through more DEF fluid, but it hasn't seem to have happened yet.

Other than that, I cannot tell. It's not like I can hear the valve opening or closing, or that it drives any differently when it's warm vs hot.
Old 07-01-2024, 11:34 AM
YotoWerks
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I just installed Malone software on my 14 Q7 TDI. Here are my impressions:

Upon receiving the tuner, I unpacked it and plugged it into the vehicle. It immediately asked me to update the software of the TCU to pre-fix level and it took about 1min and Flash was complete. Downloaded stage 2.5 which immediately includes the Stage 1 and Stage 2 tunes and I applied the Stage 1 tune to the vehicle. I did not drive the vehicle with just the TCU tune but did drive it gently and wanted to see how the trans behaves and its excellent. No more dead pedal on take off, it holds gears longer, stays in lower gears without trying to sit in 8th gear all the time, and I did notice 21mpg in town before the tune and now with about 50mi of driving, I saw about 28mpg in town. I am yet to go on the highway.

The next thing I need to get is the DPF delete, and I am wondering, has anyone gutted out the DPF itself and left it in its place? I am not convinced that 600$ is ok to pay for 2ft steel pipe with some bends in it. I will likely go that route and make this fix as inexpensive as possible.
Old 07-01-2024, 05:00 PM
shamrok
Track Day

Interesting, I just did Stage 2 and have the pre-fix TCU, still exhibits dead pedal from a stop with warm ambient temps, I'm pretty frustrated with it.
Old 07-02-2024, 12:15 AM
YaNi
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by shamrok
Interesting, I just did Stage 2 and have the pre-fix TCU, still exhibits dead pedal from a stop with warm ambient temps, I'm pretty frustrated with it.
I have Malone stage 1 w/ EGR delete + pre-fix TCU. I think it's so dead feeling, because it's always lugging the engine and the turbo isn't spooled. So you have essentially a non-turbo diesel when you tip in. Around town it's holding close to 1200rpm. Its drastically more responsive in sport mode with it holding around 2000rpm.
Old 07-02-2024, 05:10 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 109 Posts

Just did Malone 2.5 with EGR/dpf delete and huge difference but give me a day or two to see how it goes. So far let's say 50mpg is possible and 1&2 are way faster . Sorry for dirty dash, all cleaned up now.

Last edited by blockhed; 07-02-2024 at 10:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KBell (07-02-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 04:55 PM
YotoWerks
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by shamrok
May want to try to reset the adaptation of the transmission, I think it was Key on, engine (OFF), and you hold the gas pedal down for 20sec, then you cycle key off, then key on and start the engine and it should be reset and will feel different. I did not do that to mine but will do that to see if it makes a difference.
Old 07-09-2024, 07:46 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by YotoWerks
May want to try to reset the adaptation of the transmission...
I second this. I’ve now gotten in the habit of resetting this anytime I do something that might change the way it drives. I recently had my turbo replaced by an indy shop, and while it was driving nice when I got it back, it was driving like a dream after I reset the adaptations. I use my Launch tablet, but I believe there is a way to do it without a tool as Yoto mentioned.

Also, I have a Malone Stage 1 with the Rawtek DPF/SCR delete. The new turbo made a huge improvement. I guess after 165K miles a turbo can get weak (?). I was kinda surprised at the difference, but happy that a costly repair like that resulted in a performance boost. Made the whole thing easier to swallow.

And one last thing - this vehicle really seems to benefit from an Italian tune-up more than anything I’ve had in the past. I try to give it good hard drive every so often, but a long drive over several hours may help as well. I can absolutely tell a difference the morning after a good run.
Old 07-11-2024, 12:46 PM
NightFury
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dollarlongnecks
I second this. I’ve now gotten in the habit of resetting this anytime I do something that might change the way it drives. I recently had my turbo replaced by an indy shop, and while it was driving nice when I got it back, it was driving like a dream after I reset the adaptations. I use my Launch tablet, but I believe there is a way to do it without a tool as Yoto mentioned.
Where in the Launch menu is the Trans Adaption Reset?
Old 07-13-2024, 04:23 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

The following users liked this post:
NightFury (07-16-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 09:36 PM
shamrok
Track Day

Originally Posted by YotoWerks
May want to try to reset the adaptation of the transmission, I think it was Key on, engine (OFF), and you hold the gas pedal down for 20sec, then you cycle key off, then key on and start the engine and it should be reset and will feel different. I did not do that to mine but will do that to see if it makes a difference.
Originally Posted by dollarlongnecks

Also, I have a Malone Stage 1 with the Rawtek DPF/SCR delete. The new turbo made a huge improvement. I guess after 165K miles a turbo can get weak (?). I was kinda surprised at the difference, but happy that a costly repair like that resulted in a performance boost. Made the whole thing easier to swallow.

And one last thing - this vehicle really seems to benefit from an Italian tune-up more than anything I’ve had in the past. I try to give it good hard drive every so often, but a long drive over several hours may help as well. I can absolutely tell a difference the morning after a good run.

I've tried manual adaptation with the key and gas pedal dance, not sure if it's taking or not. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to hear a chime or what but I'm not sure I have the correct procedure either. I do have a Foxwell NT530, but don't see any transmission adaptation options. Oh well, maybe I just have unfair expectations, I've never driven any DBW car that feels responsive.

Quick Reply: Anybody running a Malone tune on their diesel?