Sponsored By:

Rear window/shade issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 11:43 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese
i have to look into this. It’s both rear windows that don’t work and shades don’t work lol. I do have blind spot Lca too gonna look for a window switch see what happens
If you find a replacement switch with the LCA button - please DO post it here.. I've never been able to find one.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:45 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by jtakhtalian
There may be a way to test your switches before throwing parts at the car and hoping to get lucky. I just don't know how that testing occurs. Perhaps there's someone on the forum that can offer a suggestion or a YouTube link. I recently learned how to test relays on a different car I own. Now that was fun once I figured out how to read the relay diagram and make it activate with a 12v power source. Felt quite accomplished... lol
If you have an iCarScan - you can read the status of the switches at the module the switch connects to.. easy to test if a switch has gone bad. (It will read things lie for a window "up pressed" "off" "down pressed" - something like that.)
Old 03-28-2019, 01:24 PM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
If you find a replacement switch with the LCA button - please DO post it here.. I've never been able to find one.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F122800747764

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F173841537386

Theres also one in the UK for 80 bucks but beat up

I’ve just purchased this so I hope this will cure my issue, separately I bought the little pieces mentioned earlier to fix the rear shade windows (2 pieces ) hoping to cure my window issue(s)
Old 03-28-2019, 02:09 PM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F122800747764

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F173841537386

Theres also one in the UK for 80 bucks but beat up

I’ve just purchased this so I hope this will cure my issue, separately I bought the little pieces mentioned earlier to fix the rear shade windows (2 pieces ) hoping to cure my window issue(s)
MayorMcCheese... make sure you look at the diy section and read the thread carefully. The hardest part of the whole thing is getting the window shade rod disconnected from the motor and the window shade frame.

You can pull up on the door panel and it will unhook from the motor. However, in order to put the door panel back on, the rod has to be disconnected from the shade's frame and then reinserted after the panel is on the door. Getting that piece of metal disconnected from the shade frame was terrible for me on both doors. I used a vise grip to hold the rod very tightly and with the help of an assistant, tapped it with a hammer a few times to have it unhook. I think there were two designs used from the factory so I think my experience was different than the other person who tackled this job and posted the how-to. There are much more details I provided in my notes.

Also note that once the door panel is off, there is a secondary plastic panel attached to the door. This one is damn near impossible to remove unless you disassemble a whole bunch of other things. Instead, loosen the plastic nuts and put your hand in there to feel around for the two screws you'll have to loosen (I suggest removing one screw and loosening the other so the bracket is still positioned in the right place when you go to reinstall the motor assembly). Wear a long sleeve shirt when you do this. You're going to get cut up. I guarantee it! Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:07 AM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

As an update I tried the new window switch with lane keep and still doesn't let the rear windows down but ill keep it, nice being all chrome and firm feeling again

gotta atleast fix the rear shades hoping i may see a cure for the windows while doing it.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:40 AM
deilenberger
Banned

As an update I tried the new window switch with lane keep and still doesn't let the rear windows down but ill keep it, nice being all chrome and firm feeling again

gotta atleast fix the rear shades hoping i may see a cure for the windows while doing it.
You do have a diagnostics tool right? The iCarScan has a function to observe the state of the switches - ie - press a window switch up and it tells you if the window module sees that press. That avoids unnecessary parts replacement. Usually. Sometimes. One can also activate the up/down on the windows using the diagnostics software - so you can see if it's a problem with the window mechanism or window module.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:54 PM
darrenbt
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just used the DIY to replace the plastic gears after a failed driver's rear sun shade. The shade would extend fully to cover the window but would become "possessed" when trying to drop it into the door and move the little covering flap up and down constantly until the shade was extended again.

I purchased both of the plastic gears listed below (two of each for when the passenger side fails). The white double gear BGE547 was the one that failed so it was replaced with new grease. Sun shade worked great after repair and didn't require relearning the limits. Took three hours including finding tools and talking to the wife. The white double gear was sitting a little proud after installed and had to be shaved down slightly to fit correctly. The inside of the large side of the gear had an extra nub not present on the factory part.

Old 11-07-2020, 01:47 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

I've just replaced the second set on my 2013 Cayenne GTS. First time it was a pain. This time was much easier, probably 2 hours. I think I have the process figured out now. The hardest part is separating the blind from the riser rod. Many say there is a metal clip underneath the middle roller on the shade. I couldn't seem to get it to release either time so resorted to brute strength. Attach vise grips on the rod just under top of shade. using the vise grips as a fulcrum, pry against the top of the shade with a screwdriver, and the rod will pop out. Clear sailing from there. Just push back in on re-assembly.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:29 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I replaced one of mine with the Bross gears and it went reasonably well in terms of the mechanics of raising and lowering the shade.

I have not, however, been able to calibrate it to stop when it raises, it goes up and then right back down (smoothly at least, lol). I've tried a couple of times to do the calibration procedure but have yet to find the right combination/timing.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:11 AM
Franko T
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm bringing this back from the dead, but is there anyway to DISABLE THE SUNSHADE by opening up the panel cutting a wire? I don't want it.

My Shade makes a horrible noise and now my window won't even go down, before it did. Also my door won't open up from outside.

Old 08-07-2021, 08:25 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Franko T
I'm bringing this back from the dead, but is there anyway to DISABLE THE SUNSHADE by opening up the panel cutting a wire? I don't want it.

My Shade makes a horrible noise and now my window won't even go down, before it did. Also my door won't open up from outside.

Pretty sure you can disable using x431 Launch or PIWIZ

Quick Reply: Rear window/shade issue