Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Rear window/shade issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 11:10 PM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my iCarScan today and immediately tried figuring out how to play with this thing and check out all the settings.. but as for the window shades I couldn't figure it out.. Ill post some pics of what I screenshotted.. if no one knows it'll be at the dealer in a couple weeks
Attached Images     
Old 07-26-2017, 11:14 PM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

added pic
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2017, 05:51 PM
o'bluetouring
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Our 13 Cayenne also got possessed as OP and the shade (only the passenger side) won't roll up. It does the same thing as shown in the video.

Since it's not an issue that we need to fix immediately, I'm wondering if the shade has its own dedicated fuse so that we can just roll it the down (open) position and then unplug the fuse, while maintaining the power window feature.

if the fuse is dedicated to the shade(s) only, we'd like to go this route and have it fixed next time we're in the shop for something else.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:35 PM
o'bluetouring
Advanced

Ok I answered my own question: fuse 9 (for right rear door) controls not just the shade, but also the central lock and the window of the right rear door. When the fuse is unplugged, I couldn't lock that door either. Window also won't operate. I was hoping the fuse is dedicated for the window shade but it's not the case.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:37 AM
olivier PIN
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I have got the same problem as you, Mayor and i wanted to know if your problem as been fixed and what was it ?

thanks bro,

Olivier
Old 03-26-2019, 09:34 PM
o'bluetouring
Advanced

Originally Posted by olivier PIN
Hello,

I have got the same problem as you, Mayor and i wanted to know if your problem as been fixed and what was it ?

thanks bro,

Olivier
No we didn't get around to fix it yet. For the time being, we just let it rolled all the way down and stop using the rear windows. Maybe we'll have it fixed next time we need to the scheduled maintenance.

Any luck on your guys' ends?
Old 03-26-2019, 10:21 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,718 Posts

it's a $600 fix at the dealer
Old 03-26-2019, 10:35 PM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by olivier PIN
Hello,

thanks bro,

Olivier
This thread is so old that it seems there's a couple of different issues being discussed. I can almost guarantee that in the video posted on the first page of this post, the thing that's gone bad is the plastic gear located in the window shade motor. This motor is different from the window motor.

The gear is made of very cheap plastic and literally breaks into multiple pieces and partly "disappears" inside the motor housing. When operated, the window shade will go up fine for a bit then start doing it's crazy dance, accompanied by a terrible clicking sound.

You can either buy a new motor or replace the little plastic gear. It is available online and I believe I had purchased mine off of Ebay or Amazon last year. It's a terrible task to get into the door panel to remove the motor but well worth a $20 repair versus the dealer's $800-$900 repair bill to replace the whole unit. The worst part is removing the door panel off of the window shade's rod. There's a thread here somewhere walking you through the process. It may be a sticky that Don had posted about a year ago. I recall contributing my own experience in the hopes it would help the next person.

Sorry if this was off topic but I'm hoping this could be of some use to someone out there.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:20 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by jtakhtalian
This thread is so old that it seems there's a couple of different issues being discussed. I can almost guarantee that in the video posted on the first page of this post, the thing that's gone bad is the plastic gear located in the window shade motor. This motor is different from the window motor.

The gear is made of very cheap plastic and literally breaks into multiple pieces and partly "disappears" inside the motor housing. When operated, the window shade will go up fine for a bit then start doing it's crazy dance, accompanied by a terrible clicking sound.

You can either buy a new motor or replace the little plastic gear. It is available online and I believe I had purchased mine off of Ebay or Amazon last year. It's a terrible task to get into the door panel to remove the motor but well worth a $20 repair versus the dealer's $800-$900 repair bill to replace the whole unit. The worst part is removing the door panel off of the window shade's rod. There's a thread here somewhere walking you through the process. It may be a sticky that Don had posted about a year ago. I recall contributing my own experience in the hopes it would help the next person.

Sorry if this was off topic but I'm hoping this could be of some use to someone out there.
This makes sense. I recall seeing something. Also similar situation on some prior car of mine had an option for an aluminium gear to replace the crappy plastic one. Google is your friend there

Bross BGE555 Sun Protection Roller Blind Motor Repair 31-Teeth Gear For Porsche Cayenne
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-27-2019, 12:41 AM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
This makes sense. I recall seeing something. Also similar situation on some prior car of mine had an option for an aluminium gear to replace the crappy plastic one. Google is your friend there

Bross BGE555 Sun Protection Roller Blind Motor Repair 31-Teeth Gear For Porsche Cayenne
Amazon Amazon
That's exactly what I bought. After doing both sides, I don't ever wish to do this job again...
Old 03-27-2019, 01:30 AM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Bit after adding that little piece were you able to roll the window down to let air in or only control the shade?

if I attach my iCarScan and use the app I can roll the window done with testing inside the app diagnosis tool but never by pressing a button in the truck.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:53 AM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese
Bit after adding that little piece were you able to roll the window down to let air in or only control the shade?

if I attach my iCarScan and use the app I can roll the window done with testing inside the app diagnosis tool but never by pressing a button in the truck.
No. Changing the plastic gear in this discussion is only for the shade motor. The window motor is different. It sounds to me like you have a bad switch somewhere. For instance, if your driver's side switch assembly is unhooked on a car that has no problems, you're more than likely not going to be able to roll down any of the other windows in the car. It's the infernal circuitry that's telling the motor what to do.

The fact that you are able to override the rear window and make it go up and down with the diagnosis tool tells me your issue is with one of the switches in the car. On some cars, it can be any of the switches that throws off the rest.

If you don't have blind spot monitoring or lane change assist, go on Amazon and spend the $40 on a replacement drivers switch assembly. The worst that can happen is you're out $40 but you have a spare set of window switch buttons you may be able to harvest from when the chrome lip on the existing buttons begins to peel. Best case... problem solved once and for all.

There may be a way to test your switches before throwing parts at the car and hoping to get lucky. I just don't know how that testing occurs. Perhaps there's someone on the forum that can offer a suggestion or a YouTube link. I recently learned how to test relays on a different car I own. Now that was fun once I figured out how to read the relay diagram and make it activate with a 12v power source. Felt quite accomplished... lol
Old 03-27-2019, 02:36 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by F SANE IL

Bross BGE555 Sun Protection Roller Blind Motor Repair 31-Teeth Gear For Porsche Cayenne https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075XKH9NM..._oVUMCbC1QTK44
Gosh darn... who'da'thunk'it.. the thread is - of all places - in the DIY subforum. Wow. (Do you guys EVER look there? Should I just delete all that stuff you ignore? If I sound frustrated - I am. Really.) Let me know how the Amazon gear works out. I might add it to the DIY - or maybe not since no one but me will know it's there.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ade-motor.html
Old 03-27-2019, 07:53 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Gosh darn... who'da'thunk'it.. the thread is - of all places - in the DIY subforum. Wow. (Do you guys EVER look there? Should I just delete all that stuff you ignore? If I sound frustrated - I am. Really.) Let me know how the Amazon gear works out. I might add it to the DIY - or maybe not since no one but me will know it's there.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ade-motor.html
Haha... noooooo.... don't delete DIY.... that's my wish list for warm weather.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:25 AM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jtakhtalian
No. Changing the plastic gear in this discussion is only for the shade motor. The window motor is different. It sounds to me like you have a bad switch somewhere. For instance, if your driver's side switch assembly is unhooked on a car that has no problems, you're more than likely not going to be able to roll down any of the other windows in the car. It's the infernal circuitry that's telling the motor what to do.

The fact that you are able to override the rear window and make it go up and down with the diagnosis tool tells me your issue is with one of the switches in the car. On some cars, it can be any of the switches that throws off the rest.

If you don't have blind spot monitoring or lane change assist, go on Amazon and spend the $40 on a replacement drivers switch assembly. The worst that can happen is you're out $40 but you have a spare set of window switch buttons you may be able to harvest from when the chrome lip on the existing buttons begins to peel. Best case... problem solved once and for all.

There may be a way to test your switches before throwing parts at the car and hoping to get lucky. I just don't know how that testing occurs. Perhaps there's someone on the forum that can offer a suggestion or a YouTube link. I recently learned how to test relays on a different car I own. Now that was fun once I figured out how to read the relay diagram and make it activate with a 12v power source. Felt quite accomplished... lol
i have to look into this. It’s both rear windows that don’t work and shades don’t work lol. I do have blind spot Lca too gonna look for a window switch see what happens

Quick Reply: Rear window/shade issue