Rear window/shade issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 10:40 PM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear window/shade issue

Hey Fellas

The rear windows when controlled from from my driver seat they don't wont roll down.. and when I try to control the sunshades they go up halfway if that then when I try to roll them back down they flap which I have a video I posted in my other thread when they shades are down and flapping

how could both motors on both sides go wrong and function exactly the same.. I think it is something stupid in the car? flaps are timed almost 30 seconds and stop and they roll up i assume fine but give up about halfway then when i have them go back down they flop lol
Old 07-22-2017, 02:18 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

I doubt if you'll be "lol" when you find out what it costs to fix this.

You have ordered an iCarScan right? If so - I'll offer some suggestions on how to use it to see if it's something "stupid in the car".
Old 07-22-2017, 02:41 AM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

I have not ordered me yet - my warranty does cover the motor or regulator I believe I may have to request the dealer to look into this for me

i need to buy Icarscan I just have not yet
Old 07-22-2017, 03:25 AM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

For those interested in the thread title, but don't want to search for 'the other thread' here's the video:

McCheese, that is a new one... Good luck and report back what you find.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:44 PM
deilenberger
Banned

If I had to guess - McCheese's problem is the shades have forgotten their limits. Most devices like that have a current sensing circuit that when it sees the current increase, shuts down the circuit - meaning it's reached it's end of travel at each end of the travel. It may also do a slight reverse to keep from stressing the unit mechanically by having it stop bang up against whatever stops it. It works as a limit switch without the need for an actual switch at each end of travel.

That's the reason I suggested a diagnostics tool. I haven't looked - but there is a module (computer) in each door of the 958 series. That's probably able to be reset using the diagnostics tool. When you reset something like this - you normally have to tell it to learn the limits again. That's usually done by pressing the button to make it go up, and HOLDING the button for 10 seconds or so after it's all the way up. Ditto on down. I know that's how the windows work. Since both are doing it - I suspect there must have been a voltage drop of some sort at some time that caused the modules to loose the limit settings.

Just found the wiring diagram - and there are no limit switches - so it must use current sensing to determine travel. If it was only one window doing it - then I'd suspect a mechanical problem in that window blind - since it's both - it's electrical..

Unfortunately - while the manual shows removing and installing the sun blind assembly - it has nothing on programming it.

OP - I'd suggest:

1. Remove fuses for both door modules (see diagram above for what fuses and where they're located).

2. Replace fuses, turn power on.

3. Press the shade-down button (1st click on the window switch) and hold it in that position for at least 10 seconds, mebbe 30 would be better.)

4. Press the shade-upbutton (1st click on the window switch) and hold it in that position - see if the shade fully extends. If so - hold the button in that position for 30 seconds.

See if it's all better. Otherwise - use your warranty.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:48 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Have you tried a Catholic priest....in that video they look & sound possessed!
Old 07-23-2017, 01:09 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Have you tried a Catholic priest....in that video they look & sound possessed!
Priest won't help, you need an animal sacrifice. Current folklore says a goat, but doesn't specify color. So no guarantees.

I'm with the idea that says pull the fuses and wait. For both of them to act up the same way, at the same time, does not make me think it's the shades themselves, but something else.

Do the power windows have a calibration sequence? In most vehicles this involves opening the glass fully then closing it while continuing to hold the switch button fully for 10-30 seconds. Or is that just the pano shade?

As for limits, the circuit mentions a hall sensor which might be positional, especially given it's a rod that's raised/lowered to move the shade.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:08 PM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
If I had to guess - McCheese's problem is the shades have forgotten their limits. Most devices like that have a current sensing circuit that when it sees the current increase, shuts down the circuit - meaning it's reached it's end of travel at each end of the travel. It may also do a slight reverse to keep from stressing the unit mechanically by having it stop bang up against whatever stops it. It works as a limit switch without the need for an actual switch at each end of travel.

That's the reason I suggested a diagnostics tool. I haven't looked - but there is a module (computer) in each door of the 958 series. That's probably able to be reset using the diagnostics tool. When you reset something like this - you normally have to tell it to learn the limits again. That's usually done by pressing the button to make it go up, and HOLDING the button for 10 seconds or so after it's all the way up. Ditto on down. I know that's how the windows work. Since both are doing it - I suspect there must have been a voltage drop of some sort at some time that caused the modules to loose the limit settings.

Just found the wiring diagram - and there are no limit switches - so it must use current sensing to determine travel. If it was only one window doing it - then I'd suspect a mechanical problem in that window blind - since it's both - it's electrical..

Unfortunately - while the manual shows removing and installing the sun blind assembly - it has nothing on programming it.

OP - I'd suggest:

1. Remove fuses for both door modules (see diagram above for what fuses and where they're located).

2. Replace fuses, turn power on.

3. Press the shade-down button (1st click on the window switch) and hold it in that position for at least 10 seconds, mebbe 30 would be better.)

4. Press the shade-upbutton (1st click on the window switch) and hold it in that position - see if the shade fully extends. If so - hold the button in that position for 30 seconds.

See if it's all better. Otherwise - use your warranty.

Didnt work

fuses are are fine I just pulled them and put them back in.. it operated a little slower went half way I tried using my hand to guide it and bring it up but nothing

would purchasing the iCarScan help me here? Reset it? I see em on amazon for 200 I'll shop around tonight and follow up on here

on a side note purchased a set of (4) Continetal DWS 06 for my CS.. rears we're balding in the center I knew this already I had the dealer compensate a couple bucks when we signed papers so I purchased a set of 4 I'll install later this week
Old 07-23-2017, 04:11 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Where in NJ are you? Want to take a ride to the shore and we can plug mine in and see if it can help?
Old 07-23-2017, 04:15 PM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Where in NJ are you? Want to take a ride to the shore and we can plug mine in and see if it can help?
Lol thank you but I'd rather buy the diagnotisitc tool I'm gonna need it as part of my collection anyway plus I'm in Essex County by Saint Barnabas Hospital if you know the Area?
is this what I'm looking for?

Launch iCarScan Auto Diagnostic Tool OBD OBDII Engine Scanner Full System For Android iOS Obd2 Bluetooth Adapter Replacement of Launch X431 IDIAG Easydiag M-diag For DIY With 8 Software Free https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016U74RX2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_pvpDzbKNJMRAW
Old 07-23-2017, 04:27 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese
fuses are are fine I just pulled them and put them back in.. it operated a little slower went half way I tried using my hand to guide it and bring it up but nothing
I think the fuse idea is you pull them and leave them out for a while in order to make sure any power to the modules fully drains. Capacitors and such tend to keep a charge, and leaving them disconnected from power for several minutes often helps clear whatever nonsense might be going wrong with them. Not just remove/replace right away. It seems like generic tech-support mumbo-jumbo but there's some truth to it.

Pull the fuse for one side, start the vehicle, operate that side's switch. Shut the car off (get out, lock it) and wait a few minutes. Put the fuse back, start the car and try holding the switch fully down.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:37 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese
is this what I'm looking for?

Launch iCarScan Auto Diagnostic Tool OBD OBDII Engine Scanner Full System For Android iOS Obd2 Bluetooth Adapter Replacement of Launch X431 IDIAG Easydiag M-diag For DIY With 8 Software Free https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016U74RX2..._pvpDzbKNJMRAW
That's it. A google for it may turn it up cheaper: http://www.obd2tool.com/goods-5052-L...r+Android.html Note that it supports Android and iOS.

Mine arrived from China amazingly fast - like within 48 hours.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:34 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Hey McCheese,

I went and looked. iCarScan doesn't have any specific function for the window shades. It does have a "Normalize Windows" function - but I didn't try it to see what it does. Forgot to look at the data stream to see if it has anything for the electronics for the shades..
Old 07-23-2017, 06:50 PM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Hey McCheese,

I went and looked. iCarScan doesn't have any specific function for the window shades. It does have a "Normalize Windows" function - but I didn't try it to see what it does. Forgot to look at the data stream to see if it has anything for the electronics for the shades..
Good to know then - for the record my rear windows don't roll down in general besides the shades too..I should bring it to the dealer but I like to diagnose my issues then last resort unless it's a bigger issue bring it in.

I pulled the fuse before, started the Cayenne played with the driver toggles nothing happened.. turned off the truck left 5 minutes and came back popped the fuse back in started up again and nothing they go down fine.. from about 30% it holds up (shade) but has no strength to go further up.. going down they look fine although they flap

I'll pick up a Scan tool and go from there Tuesday I'm tinting the front windows and windshield and adding my LED fog lights then later in the week mount and balancing my new continentals so it'll be a fun week ahead
Old 07-25-2017, 04:36 PM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Just to update - Yesterday I went to have my windows tinted in which I wanted to tint all my windows (including windshield) and had full intentions of making my rear windows darker.. I forgot that not only are my window shades possessed but neither rear window rolls down.. so we didn't tint them we couldn't.. I purchased iCarScan last night from amazon and will have it tomorrow - I looked elsewhere for a better price but it ended up totaling the same as amazon but luckily I had a discount credit so I got it cheaper then advertised.

with the scan tool on its way tomorrow what will I have to do to HOPEFULLY fix this issue

Quick Reply: Rear window/shade issue