Sponsored by:

ICarScan X431 Tool Available again.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 05:01 PM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 34 Posts

@touareg Which dongle did you end up getting? The one in the OP? or the one you linked to on ebay?
Old 05-01-2017, 06:21 PM
curby
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the X431 only work with its own software like EZdiag, or does it support general smartphone OBD2 tools like Harry's Laptimer etc.? Thanks!
Old 05-01-2017, 07:00 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by curby
Does the X431 only work with its own software like EZdiag, or does it support general smartphone OBD2 tools like Harry's Laptimer etc.? Thanks!
Dunno. Haven't tried them. It does have it's own firmware - mine (bought a bit over a year ago) insisted on updating the firmware on the dongle the other day. I let it - it took about 20 minutes to complete, but it completed successfully so I guess that's a win.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:08 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by touareg
Ok finally got a handle on this, the problem is this company seems sketchy because they use so many different names, and are doing a very poor job at brand management.

My adapter says Golo IOV. It is made by Launch says iCarScan on the box. x431 seems to be a ton of different hardware devices. ICarScan is older software. I registered with that and go the error above. Then I did the QA code posted earlier goes to a direct download on android app m diag. I was able to log in with my iCarScan account. If you install that, and it works, and you register and pick your stuff (was forced to) it kept crashing when trying to install modules.

Go to the app store, and search for m diag, and ez diag comes up. That is the correct and latest version.

I had to uninstall m-diag (otherwise it asked me to do an update which failed) and then I could install EZ diag (the notes say icon and name change, some languages addes)

So that is the correct app to use. I can now download all the modules I picked earlier.

I also question why it needs access to my GPS, Make Phone Calls, Contacts, Camera and Location.
X431 seems to be a generic Launch term for their diagnostics software, you'll see it attached to everything from our $180 dongles to $8,000 diagnostic units. I suspect that it's the basis for the individual vehicle diagnostics - and once they are written for one X431 device they can be used by the front-end software/display on other X431 devices.

The earliest Launch unit I used was back around 2003 when I did an article on diagnostics tools for the BMW Car Club of America Roundel magazine - and the new US Launch distributor sent me their deluxe best model - at the time selling for several thousand dollars. Even then - I was impressed with the capabilities. It used a proprietary Linux OS with a monochrome LED display device, and had a built in tape printer allowing the user to print out diagnostics reports.

I suspect VCI is some sort of relation to the main Launch company - but it's not clear what the relationship is. When you install the ICarScan software it appears to be downloading from the Launch website - but if you contact Launch support in China - they told me that it isn't their product and they don't directly support it. They suggested the vendor who I purchased it from. That was despite me finding a hidden VCI ICarScan subforum on their website. Go figure.

The vendor about a year ago was fairly responsive. Lately I've sent a few messages and have not gotten a response.

As for why it needs all those accesses - it obviously doesn't - but whoever wrote the front-end didn't remember to turn those off.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:36 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by AO
@touareg Which dongle did you end up getting? The one in the OP? or the one you linked to on ebay?
The original one in the OP.

After writing back to them and asking why they need my license when my paypal matches the address, and they can cancel if they can't ship, they said it was a mistake they will ship.

I picked the cheapest option, HKS, which I assume was Hong Kong Postal Service. They Sent it DHL anyway, which was like 2x the price.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:37 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by curby
I have an elm232 bt adapter, that I used with torque. Other than pretty icons, with gauges, not sure why you still would want torque after this, it does everything torque does in so far as reading outputs.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:44 PM
touareg
Drifting

So to show the value this has for at least one use case, I had a massive wire harness failure late last year, but still chasing a few ghosts.

There are a few modules I could never scan, and I didn't even know I had?

One is AWS, and it is the only module detected, that the tool has trouble reading. It says it is Advanced Weight System, hmmm, wonder what that is. It said it had an DTC, but I could not see it, however the tool was able to clear it. Hmmm.

Hey I just notices my Passenger Airbag Light Disabled never comes on anymore, hmmm.

So probably means nothing, but another sensor to look for and replace. Or a canbus wiring issue.

I was also able to get codes from the PSM that for some reason duramateric would not see, I got a 1314, DME. Which I assume means it can not talk to the DME. This is my only weird issue I have left and is driving me nuts.

Nothing is logged in the DME, no other modules complain about access to the DME.

So I think this means my can wiring is still at issue.

Anyways point being good tool to get me going on finding this, as it just triggered at highway speeds on the way home. Not fun during rush hour to get over 4 lanes coasting to restart the car.

Life was easier with a clutch...

Last edited by touareg; 05-01-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:48 PM
touareg
Drifting

So, this is what I have found as a 957 owner looking for my PSM issues with the tool:

There are a lot of output tests, some coding and actual values with graphing you can do.

This is output from the PSM (I could be losing something here too):

I found out I can graph what I think is all the can-bus signals from the gateway and maybe find out if one of those is failing. Whoohoo. The gateway is like a network switch.

You can see I for inactive, A for active, In for implausible (might have got those backwards):

Bad news is I have to log it everytime I drive and hope to catch it.

Also found I can finally add those 20 inch missing entry in the TPMS for my all season tires/wheels:

And had to dig around on the phone but found the reports on the sdcard under cnlaunch folder, all the modules found on my 2009 turbo S:

Old 05-02-2017, 12:08 AM
BamaScoot
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Holy crap this software is a nightmare to get working. Isn't working on my HTC M9 (freezes when opening), isn't working on my Dell Android App (won't login to my account). WTF.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:05 AM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by BamaScoot
Holy crap this software is a nightmare to get working. Isn't working on my HTC M9 (freezes when opening), isn't working on my Dell Android App (won't login to my account). WTF.
Download the one from the google play app store, not the QR code that you sideload as an apk.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:18 AM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Has anyone else been able to get the app working on iOS? I've been back and forth with the seller multiple times but not getting anywhere. I borrowed old Samsung S3 from a friend and was able to get it to work immediately, but no go on the iOS. The app doesn't even download similar manufacturer specific module, rather it downloads "US_Euro" & "Asia" golo app and that secondary app does not initialize. All the seller can tell me is to uninstall and reinstall the app.....
Old 05-05-2017, 10:06 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by jbse39
Has anyone else been able to get the app working on iOS? I've been back and forth with the seller multiple times but not getting anywhere. I borrowed old Samsung S3 from a friend and was able to get it to work immediately, but no go on the iOS. The app doesn't even download similar manufacturer specific module, rather it downloads "US_Euro" & "Asia" golo app and that secondary app does not initialize. All the seller can tell me is to uninstall and reinstall the app.....
I concur the vendor is not doing an effective job of support. No progress on using the app on a Samsung S7 either.

The real question is which apps are really worth considering/buying and which dongles work with them?

Yes, a Durametric setup is great for lots of things, and there's plenty of overlap. That's fine, the more the merrier. But let's not get into a this vs that argument.

I think most of us here are willing to spend some amount of money to get effective results. But at the same time we're not interested in wasting it on junk or half-assed solutions.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:29 PM
deilenberger
Banned

I've added the following to the initial post in the thread. I think it's self-explanatory:

Originally Posted by ME
ADDITIONAL INFO: (05/05/17) People have reported that the iOS application apparently is difficult to impossible to get working. Before buying it - if all you have is an iPhone - I'd suggest reading the thread and talking to some of the people who have tried it on iOS. Other people have mentioned success or difficulty getting the Android application working. I suspect part of the problem is the number of versions of Android on the user market. If you're using an Android phone, or tablet - it might be worth checking or asking who got it working with what. I also should note - it appears I'm running an earlier version of the software on my Android phone (Droid-Turbo-II) and tablet (Verizon Ellipsis-7). I have not tried downloading the new version since I don't like to muck about with a working thing. Again - check and ask people what works if you have a concern. My final warning - communications with the vendor are almost non-existent. When I first got mine (about a year ago) I emailed them about a problem getting it to install on my tablet (which apparently isn't listed as compatible with the software at the Google store) - and got a few brief replies. Since then - I've emailed asking about renewing my subscription - and have gotten no answer. Despite my "subscription" expiring - the software I originally downloaded (5 vehicle brands and the other free stuff) continues to work. It has also updated the firmware on my dongle despite my subscription being expired. What I have not done is open the store feature of it to see if there is a subscription renewal option there. I may do that sometime. Or not. Right now - it's working fine for me.
I'd suggest people who have had success getting it to work list the device they have it working on and the name/version of the software they're using. I'll try to keep a list here. I'll give an example:

Motorola Droid-Turbo-II phone, Android-7, ICarScan V1.00.006 - installed directly from Google Play Store (search for ICarScan)
Verizon Ellipsis-7 Tablet, Android-4.4.2, ICarScan V1.00.005 - had to be manually installed from an APK file.

Last edited by deilenberger; 05-05-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:01 AM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Samsung Galaxy S3, Android-4.4.2, EZDiag v6.1.0 a installed from Google Play Store

iCarscan won't login with same credential on the Android.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:13 AM
touareg
Drifting

Another thing I noticed, I installed it on a tablet (ezdiag) and after I drove off, I could not do other metrics capturing, the app needs an active internet connection.

I assume this is for licensing. A little disappointed in this.

Anyways for others, if you bought the new one, I am able to log in with the various other apps, but EZ Diag is the only one that lets me register the device.

Quick Reply: ICarScan X431 Tool Available again.