Sponsored by:

Another Intro/2008 TT/Price point for those looking

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 07:18 AM
VanD
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Another Intro/2008 TT/Price point for those looking

I've been a Porsche 928 guy for a number of years and finally figured it was time to consolidate two of my 'other' cars into one. A recurrent spinal injury necessitated that I sell my '09 Dodge Ram (Plus it was rusting from the inside out due to NY salt and three kids travel hockey), and the fact that the VW TDI Passat was getting bought back by VAG. I started looking for a vehicle that could tow, was comfortable on my back, relatively fast, got great mileage, had capacity for three hockey bags, and was AWD for winter here in Western NY. My wife mentioned 'with all those Porsche's, why not get a Cayenne?'. No fight from me on that one - she didn't specify 'no turbo!' With that, out went the mileage concern and the search was on.

In my search, at CARMAX, I ended up finding a Basalt Black/Chestnut (my favorite interior!) '08 TT (PDCC, Sport seats, Sunroof, 21", tow package, rear storage package, walnut, etc., $110k MSRP) at Carmax in Orlando FL, clean Carfax - one owner after Porsche exec car, 42k mi, for $29k. I did a little sleuthing before purchase and got all records from Porsche Orlando, fully serviced there with 40k mi service there completed. Called PO, was his 75 y/o wife's second car (first was a '13 Cayenne TTS- hence the low miles on my car- never any issues - she also had a '14 Boxter and he also had a '15 CTTS and new 911 TTS) - true Porsche people.

What I like about CARMAX is they pay 1/2 shipping and you can refuse the car if not what you expect, and can fight on your 1/2 if car comes in and it's not as described( frame damage, accident history undisclosed, etc). Had car shipped and was as described. Had it detailed/paint corrected (not much to do there) and ceramic coated, snagged some real nice Winter Rims/Snows at Tire rack on sale as well.

I also like that CARMAX will Warranty ANYTHING and it's an EXCLUSIONARY warranty, so I'm covered for 5yrs and to 125k miles. Wasn't cheap at $4700, but likely will be of use. I purchased it in October and already have 12k miles so may be over faster than I thought! So, I paid more for my CTT than some (although I could never find one with miles lower than 60k since, so hard to compare), but I feel knowing the absolutely pristine condition and history, the fact it was road salt naive, and maintained/owned to the nth degree, and I could get a warranty, was worth the small 2-3k or so premium paid.

Interestingly, as soon as I got the CTT, my buddy had me find him one. CARMAX had an Amethyst '12 CTT with 7k miles for 60k, 130k or so MSRP. He bought it as well to match his plum crazy SRT Challenger.

Hope this provides some context for those looking for a CTT and want a price point for a pristine, no excuses example.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:36 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 243 Posts

Great looking CTT - congrats on your purchase & positive experience.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:40 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Fantastic find and stunning color combination! I'm getting close to doing the consolidation dance as well, and the Cayenne (GTS for me) is the leader in the clubhouse for what I want, though I will look at Turbos as well.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:23 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

The black paint looks awesome in the pic, same with the headlights, like brand new.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:54 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great find and that is also my favorite color combo. What is EXTREMELY interesting to me is Carmax selling it for $29K [they seem to usually be about 10% above retail market]. I'll do a Carmax search now as your truck is basically exactly what I am looking for.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:04 PM
VanD
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ventoGT
Great find and that is also my favorite color combo. What is EXTREMELY interesting to me is Carmax selling it for $29K [they seem to usually be about 10% above retail market]. I'll do a Carmax search now as your truck is basically exactly what I am looking for.
Just make sure with Carmax you do your due diligence as they are notorious for buying ANYTHING and throwing it on their lot...but another thing I do like is you can put a 'hold' on the car while you do that due diligence, and no-one else can buy the car until you release the hold.
I feel very lucky as it popped up one day, I immediately 'held' the car, researched the **** out of it, then when happy with the history, paid the $649 shipping fee to ship from FL to NY (usually about a $1100 trip). When it arrived I could still refuse the car but it was every bit as nice as I thought. I had a few reservations as the initial pictures were only cell phone shots as they placed the ad not having taken the real 'glam' shots yet, so I never had hi-res photos before shipping the car. I was 'promised' that if the car had any damage that was not revealed - I.E. paintwork from accident not on the carfax, or anything that was not as described, etc. that they would refund the shipping cost. True to their word, the car was advertised as having bluetooth, when it arrived, it did not. They paid the $850 to have the Nav-TV module added so the car matched the ad.

Keep checking nationwide as they update inventory and the nice ones get sold or held rather quickly....
Old 03-05-2017, 07:02 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Welcome to the "Dark Side".

There's more than a few of us that have added another front engined, water cooled P-car alongside the 928.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:47 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Yup. Looks like I'll be seeing your posts over here now too. Congrats on a great looking Pepper.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:30 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Very nice indeed! It's a twin to my former 2008 CTT, even down to the PDCC. Congrats!

Cheers,
TomF

Quick Reply: Another Intro/2008 TT/Price point for those looking