Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9" Android Radio Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 12:06 PM
staffcurtis
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any other options on maybe an 8" screen? I want something my wife can use and not have any issues (Is this too much to ask)?
Old 11-10-2017, 10:16 PM
WarpedWheel
Intermediate

Edit (sold head unit)

Last edited by WarpedWheel; 11-17-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:16 AM
rude944
Instructor

So after a year of use in my 955, and enough random radio preset resets among other bugs, the android finally pissed us off enough to take action. I flashed the firmware to a mod... It's like the device is new again, after 24 hours, its far more reliable and responsive. Took a little bit of research to learn about these units, so I'll offer a path.

First, you may choose to admit that you dont really know much about this device. Who actually made it, what the build really is, it's all just Chinese packaging. Seicane is a reseller, among so many others, and may be unscrupulous in their own product knowledge, marketing among other things... (shocker). This is where some actual homework has to be done. Get the Version Info in Settings and find out what this crap is. Mine was a MCU build, "MTCD_LM_v1.82_1"... so the first 7 chars is the model, then the last string is the firmware version. There is a build number at the bottom of this screen, the first 6 char is rk3188. Once I had that, I used the google to find the updated firmware from this page: https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...units-t3623982

Download that risky junk and grab a usb drive, put the firmware on the drive and head out to the car. It might be tricky to get into recovery, but there might be a tutorial on the page for your device. I got the file loaded, was patient enough to let it finish it's awkward load, and it eventually booted, showed a new version on the Version Info page and it's going well.

Whats key is going with the right software, the wrong one may brick it, so be diligent in selection. There are plenty of options in this community, it ultimately lead me to better understand the market for these systems, the diversity (a bunch of guys with renaults have this same unit!) of the distribution and builders in these units.

Since I flashed the firmware, I have all my features back, except iGo GPS navigation, which was crashing every time I fired it up, so no big loss there. But steering wheel control, music, bluetooth, wifi, dvd... pretty much >100% is back (new features!). I'm getting Wayz up on it instead, it seems to have opened up this unit for a second life.

In the end, if it's on its way out otherwise, seems worth the risk.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:52 AM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Two small things I am trying to figure out on the Seicane unit. 1) is there a way to change the default volume? When it starts, it is way to loud. 2) How do I change the temperature reading from C to F?

Thanks
Old 11-28-2017, 07:38 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by reeddnlsn
Well I chanced it and ordered a 9 inch Android 7.1 unit from AliExpress for $283...figured it was the same hardware as the Seicane unit and they dont seem like much help if something goes wrong anyway. Sourcing the MOST box, BT OBDII, USB TPMS (current TPMS doesnt even work and no warnings?), and a 4G dongle from Ebay. Hopefully it all works...wish me luck

Will post back in a few weeks when i get everything from China and try to get it installed.
Reeddnlsn: Would love an update on your 7.1 version from AliExpress. I assume you got the 4 core version with the microphone in the lower left? I'm about to pull the trigger on the same one.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:43 AM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Answered my own question: Looks like the current 9” units are well covered by this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...8-cayenne.html
Old 12-22-2017, 05:26 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

sorry for the obvious comment

but on my 997.2 TTS i simply have an 8 inch android LTE (asus z8s) IPS tablet on a magnet holder with a combination of software home launcher, waze, play music, torque real-times, gmaps, tune in all flowing into the PCM 3.0 through a bluetooth dongle (BOVEE), AUX as a backup if high quality audio needed.

i get all of the functionality (save XM which i can add later with adapter) of a modern (say 991) head unit but i can just take it off when i resell the car. i see no reason to hack into the PCM to get all the functionality i need and sound quality (i can bypass with direct AUX if needed but don't like the one extra cable). i can even add the backup camera (in this case Fensens sensors only for now). All configurable

this full on hack seems like overkill, not upgradeable and a killer to resale.

what am i missing? why hack into the hardware?
Old 12-22-2017, 06:26 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

Sure, makes sense. There's a few downsides like power and aux audio cabling sticking out of it (but right angled connectors can help minimize that). That and you wouldn't get integration with any steering wheel controls for media changes, but that might not be a big deal either. Then there's the issue of how to place it such that it's "as usable" as the PCM. Heh, one option comes to mind, get a pair of Rennline's mounts (the kind that slip in alongside the bezel) and use magnets on both left/right. That way the tablet would just overlay the whole PCM. But even just a single mount could work nicely.

Might be worth doing a write-up on your setup? With pix and software suggestions?
Old 12-22-2017, 06:54 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep. Let me get past this weekend and I'll write it up.

A key is to get an LTE android tablet which are rarer. iOS won't work and WiFi only creates problems and no internal GPS for nav. You can high jack the home screen in android and use a car optimized launcher. That allows you to hit the home button and get a PCM or android auto like car screen UX.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:50 AM
Zakowsky
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts

So a question for the people who have done the android install with a MOST adaptor. I read somewhere (but can no longer find) that if you set the fade before you unplug the PCM (2.0 in my case) it will stay at that setting after you install the new unit. Is this true? I don't know if it is something with my 2004 CTT or what, but I have to fade to the rear speakers quite a lot to get good sound...it is way too loud out of the front if I don't. And if it does keep the setting, I imagine it would reset if you unplug the battery?

Also do you really compromise the subwoofer with the Android install? A lot of people diss the Bose system, but I think it sounds pretty good. And I gave up a spare tire for the sub, so it would be a shame to loose its functionality with an Android unit install.

Another thing I was thinking of trying is taking an old CDR-23 and cannibalizing it as a better MOST interface...there must be a way to tap directly into the circuit board for the left and right channels. Put the signal from an Android unit in and use the CDR-23 to set the fade and send the low frequencies to the sub. You'd have to figure out mounting and all that but the sound should be much better than the current MOST adaptors that way. I know the conventional AUX input mod is mono for these, but if you sacrifice the FM or CD circuitry it should be possible...
Old 12-26-2017, 03:01 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't think either the volume or fade settings are kept despite what others have claimed. My sub stopped functioning after the Android install. You can have both the spare and sub. It would be easier to just get a more expensive 4 channel MOST box or you could get the best result from rewiring for a new amp and speakers altogether. I think the Bose system is slightly better than warmed up dog poop.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:36 AM
psoma
Rennlist Member

For those who have the Android 6.0.1 unit from Seicane - I bit the bullet and purchased the firmware from Redmod yesterday (https://firmware-an21.wixsite.com/redmod). Whilst communication was all using Google translate, I managed to install the modified firmware on my device. It's good. VERY good. Auto start now works (previously, widgets wouldn't auto load at start), my digital radio USB dongle now works, and the Radio app is MUCH better. And customisable to the Porsche colour scheme

Steering controls and touch screen buttons still work. All told, a HIGHLY recommended update (best $36 I spent on this).

Note: After upgrading the firmware, you are asked (in Russian) to connect to the forum to validate your install. There are two options: USB and WiFi. Don't select USB, it will reflash your firmware if your USB stick with the firmware is still connected. Just type in your username and it will say "You are not yet activated"... message the forum administrator and you will get your software activated within 24 hours. Got into settings, changed the language to English... I'm a happy chappy now!

Cheers,

Tom
Old 01-06-2018, 03:28 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Can you show us some pics and tell us bout any other updates? I am wondering if this will fix some of the bugs I am experiencing with the radio and backup camera.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:27 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by psoma
For those who have the Android 6.0.1 unit from Seicane - I bit the bullet and purchased the firmware from Redmod yesterday (https://firmware-an21.wixsite.com/redmod). Whilst communication was all using Google translate, I managed to install the modified firmware on my device. It's good. VERY good. Auto start now works (previously, widgets wouldn't auto load at start), my digital radio USB dongle now works, and the Radio app is MUCH better. And customisable to the Porsche colour scheme

Steering controls and touch screen buttons still work. All told, a HIGHLY recommended update (best $36 I spent on this).

Note: After upgrading the firmware, you are asked (in Russian) to connect to the forum to validate your install. There are two options: USB and WiFi. Don't select USB, it will reflash your firmware if your USB stick with the firmware is still connected. Just type in your username and it will say "You are not yet activated"... message the forum administrator and you will get your software activated within 24 hours. Got into settings, changed the language to English... I'm a happy chappy now!

Cheers,

Tom
I wish I had told you how awesome the redmod upgrade is! I love this Android system so much that I am keeping the car rather than trade it in! So nice to get my android notifications directly on the screen (using Join), and having waze built in. I test drove a 2018 Cayenne, and it couldn't compare.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:13 AM
Zakowsky
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
I don't think either the volume or fade settings are kept despite what others have claimed. My sub stopped functioning after the Android install. You can have both the spare and sub. It would be easier to just get a more expensive 4 channel MOST box or you could get the best result from rewiring for a new amp and speakers altogether. I think the Bose system is slightly better than warmed up dog poop.
Thanks nodoors - for some reason I didn't see your reply when you first posted...good to know about the settings not being kept.

So sound quality is obviously an individual thing; I'm pretty critical but I suppose I haven't heard really high end car audio. But what is confusing is many people say they like the sound from the Android into Bose conversions, but I can't see how that can be if you loose the sub, and have so much forward bias in the speakers. If Bose is not so great to start with, you'd think the MOST converter would kill the whole setup. Did you replace your amp and speakers?

I was thinking of modding a CDR23 because I couldn't find anywhere online that sold a 4 channel MOST converter. I think there was one coming from Russia but they seem to have disappeared - if you know of one please let me know. Using a CDR23 would give you fade and feed the sub I would think. But it is uncharted territory because I haven't found anyone that has gone from a PCM 2.0 to a CDR23; not even sure if that would require re-coding.

Changing the amp for a conventional one would be fine, but since the speakers are matched for the Bose amp as you say they would have to be changed as well - at that point it all starts getting quite involved and expensive. There seems to be a new batch of AUX in/BT CDC replacement boxes on eBay these days for the MOST system, makes it tempting to give up on a new head unit and just settle for having a lot of music with the full Bose speaker setup.

Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review