Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9" Android Radio Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 07:34 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks for the extra info. I think the next time I have things pulled apart I will wire mine up that way as well.

Your remote works from 20 paces away?! I am lucky if mine works more than 2 from the driver's door. This car has the worst remote reception of any I have ever seen, both remotes are the same and have new batteries.

As far as the canbus module goes... everything else works like the steering wheel controls and information on the dash display. I guess I will do a little reverse engineering and see how that thing works and how it is wired. Will probably be easier than exchanging another 30 emails with Seicane over the next month.

I am wondering if it is an issue with the actual unit or software seeing as I have the other glitch with the video display.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:54 PM
Hal 2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have none of the issues above, but I have no backup camera. My major gripe with the unit was that i could not get the steering wheel control's to work with Spotify only. I found out by accident today, that you need to close the radio program by pressing the back button till it disappears.Then the controls work with Spotify. I used to leave the radio app open and Spotify would mute it. This works great. I was really enjoying the unit today. I wouldn't shy away. I installed in October last year and am completely trouble free.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:59 PM
psoma
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hgupta
That's odd. I can't think of any reason version 6 would be different. Unless it is killing apps for the RAM. Under preferences, ensure that it is set to run in foreground. You should see the persistent tasker notification (lightning bolt) in the notification bar. Also make sure you are not installing it on the SD card.

Use the Monitor Start event under profiles, and set your first task to be something simple (like a beep).

There is a setting in Tasker for allocating more memory to it: - go under Tasker's main Preferences (3-dot menu upper right) and in the Misc Tab un-check the box for "Reduce Resource Usage".

IQ Navi was very,very simple. I did have to do a hard reboot one more time though after installing (unplugging power). Steering wheel and radio worked fine for me, although it did erase my presets. I never used the ipod control and so I can't speak to that.

For google voice search, does it work when you press the icon? If so, then you just need to change the setting to work on all screens.
Thanks hgupta - Having a bit more of a play with it this morning... definitely looks like either version 6 or the custom firmware is stopping Tasker starting on power up (there's no access to the Security menu either). I'll try using the monitor start though instead of system start and see how we go.

Cheers!

Tom
Old 02-02-2017, 09:00 PM
psoma
Rennlist Member

And yeah, to Hal's point... despite some niggles, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to do it again. Totally transforms the ICE experience.

Cheers,

Tom
Old 02-02-2017, 09:01 PM
Hal 2000
Instructor

Hey whats the best music player app to download to play files off the usb stick? The built in app makes me always start at the top of the list.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:43 AM
psoma
Rennlist Member

Sigh... This isn't good. For some reason the buttons on the side stopped working, none of the built in apps work (radio, bluetooth, EQ) and I can't access the Extra Settings menu in Car Settings (just crashes back out to Settings). The MCU version is now reporting as "Unknown" too. All this just from installing Google Now launcher it seems?!?

Factory Reset option doesn't seem to do a factory reset. I'm feeling pretty ordinary at this point.... Anyone got any ideas?

Can't even seem to do anything in recovery mode as the volume up/down and home buttons don't respond.

:*(
Old 02-03-2017, 08:34 AM
Hal 2000
Instructor

Wow psoma, I got a lump in my stomach just reading that. I've always been afraid of installing any interface apps because of this. I'm on 4.x OS and mostly stock. I would pull the unit and pull all power to it and then retry.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:28 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nodoors
Thanks for the extra info. I think the next time I have things pulled apart I will wire mine up that way as well.

Your remote works from 20 paces away?! I am lucky if mine works more than 2 from the driver's door. This car has the worst remote reception of any I have ever seen, both remotes are the same and have new batteries.

As far as the canbus module goes... everything else works like the steering wheel controls and information on the dash display. I guess I will do a little reverse engineering and see how that thing works and how it is wired. Will probably be easier than exchanging another 30 emails with Seicane over the next month.

I am wondering if it is an issue with the actual unit or software seeing as I have the other glitch with the video display.
Wow, I can't believe your remote is that bad. I don't see a point of having a remote if you have to get near the car. If I hold it against my chin, I can open it from even further, but it locks back if you don't open it within 30 seconds. So I know roughly how far away I can unlock it and still walk to the car in that time frame.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:29 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by psoma
Sigh... This isn't good. For some reason the buttons on the side stopped working, none of the built in apps work (radio, bluetooth, EQ) and I can't access the Extra Settings menu in Car Settings (just crashes back out to Settings). The MCU version is now reporting as "Unknown" too. All this just from installing Google Now launcher it seems?!?

Factory Reset option doesn't seem to do a factory reset. I'm feeling pretty ordinary at this point.... Anyone got any ideas?

Can't even seem to do anything in recovery mode as the volume up/down and home buttons don't respond.

:*(
Thats very weird. I tried the Google now launcher before and didn't have any problems. Pull the unit out and disconnect power and do a hard reset that way.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:02 PM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hgupta
Wow, I can't believe your remote is that bad. I don't see a point of having a remote if you have to get near the car....
I would bet nodoors is keyless entry ("Porsche Entry & Drive" option). I also have a <5 foot range on the remote buttons. Unless I have passengers to let in, I just leave the key in my pocket and yank the door handle twice to get in.

I have none of nodoors other issues and been using mine since April. I will say that my old Galaxy S5 did have stuttering issues playing Bluetooth music to the Seicane. My S7 and the Wife's Nexus 6X have no issues. Must be the difference in Bluetooth versions; the S5 is only BT 4.0.

Oh, I have no compass either, but never realized its missing. I only had the Cayenne a week before adding the Seicana radio. I dont know how you all can stand the PCM unit. Ill trade the compass for Waze any day!!

I find the boot up speed to be amazingly quick for an android device. Resumes last radio station and backup camera work almost instantly. The rest of the functions takes <20 seconds to start up. OEM backup camera works great, but no guide lines until the unit finishes booting.

The screen can be dimmed 50% or 100% form the pull down notification shortcuts. I wish it would dim automatically with headlights, but not a big deal to me. There is a bug that during handsfree phone calls the screen reverts to 100% brightness during the call.

I have no visibility issues from sun, but I live in VA and dont commute to work at sunrise/sunset. My car also came with tinted windows. Maybe a screen cover would cut the glare and help with fingerprints too.

Good luck!
Old 02-03-2017, 06:20 PM
psoma
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hal 2000
Wow psoma, I got a lump in my stomach just reading that. I've always been afraid of installing any interface apps because of this. I'm on 4.x OS and mostly stock. I would pull the unit and pull all power to it and then retry.
You're a star Hal! Having performed a factory reset AND gone into recovery mode, I had little faith that a power-out/in cycle would do anything but...

It did!

Still on Android 6.0.1, but I'm inclined to live with it now

As I was reading through the Russian forums, I noticed that IQ Navi has a supposedly "improved" Music app - how game are you to try the flash?

Cheers,

Tom
Old 02-06-2017, 12:52 PM
gjsauser
Intermediate

Originally Posted by psoma
So to answer a few questions:

1) Pictures of the various screens:

It looks as though the only thing that has changed is the upgrading of the base OS... Apps all seem to be the same (sorry, forgot to take a photo of the Bluetooth one... but it's the same as has already been posted). One of the annoyances I've noticed is that the FM radio TXT overlays the station name making the radio look a bit 2 bit (don't mind the look otherwise)

Most disappointingly: The iPod App does not launch. The rubbish Bluetooth audio app combined with a complete lack of ability to tether an iPhone seriously detract from the value of this unit (at least for me) at this stage.

2) Hooking up the reversing camera

So the instructions that came with the unit, are just plain wrong. If we take the two ends as the radio end and the camera end, on the radio end, you need to connect the ACC+, ACC- to the "Ingition" and earth respectively (I unscrewed a screw from the back of the radio and earthed against that), and the yellow RCA to "CAM IN". You also need to connect the blue wire to the "Reverse" output of the radio.

On the camera end, you'll need to connect the 2 obvious plugs (RCA and AC adaptor style power), as well as the blue wire to either your reversing lamps or, I just ran an additional wire from the "Reverse" connector on the back of the radio to the back of the car. The two small wires next to the camera itself operate the LED, so you need to splice these into the original reversing lamp feed when replacing it. Once you've done all of that, *then* it works a treat.

3) Some additional bits and pieces

So I replaced the BOSE amp with a JL Audio XD700/5 5 channel amp, and used the AudioLeads PC2-95-4 adaptor. The adaptor had rubbish power and earth feeds, so I cut them just before the original Porsche connector and popped them straight into the amp. I removed both the amp and stacker unit from the back and bent down the stacker side rails so I could mount the new amp flush and flat against the bottom of the OEM mount. This grants me access in future should I need to adjust levels or choose to re-wire.

In terms of speaker wiring, I went :

Channel 1+2 = front L+R to (these include the mid range door and dash tweeters) with 100Hz HPF enabled.
Channels 3+4 = rear door L+R which includes the woofer and tweeter in the back doors
Channel 5 = Front door 8" subs in series (+ of left connected to - of right). I initially had the OEM rear subs hooked up to the Sub feed of the head unit and the door subs in series with the mid/highs, but the sound from the boot floor sub was so pathetic, I didn't bother progressing. Distorted at fairly low volumes and added no kick to the music whatsoever.

I will add that this install was a right royal pain in the backside... Pulling the interior panelwork apart and running the cables through the car without them showing was not a fun exercise. I'm bruised, sliced, have a bad back and lost around 8 to 10 hours of my life. I'm glad I *did* replace the BOSE amp and enjoy being able to balance the sound F->R and having exact control over the sound balance and filtering (which was my only real concern with the MOST adaptor), but in hindsight... I would have just gone with the MOST adaptor and done without the reversing Cam

I have a couple of quick questions myself though:

1) Has anyone found a better solution for bluetooth audio playback?
2) What's a better navigation option to the iGo Primo? Not only does it tell us to turn too late on 100km/h roads (ie. within 50m of the turn) but it lead us astray yesterday much to my wife's chagrin. And death stares.
3) Is there another iPod/iPhone connectivity app available on Play Store that anyone could recommend?

I'm still considering rolling back to IQ Navi on Firmware 4.2. I'm not sure I see any value in Android 6, but I can see some things in IQ Navi I'd like to have...

Cheers all,

Tom
So seems like this unit with Android 6.0 is rubbish. Im seriously considering the unit linked below as it still has 5.1, and I want a volume ****... Is 5.1 solid?

Looks like a wireless backup cam is an option, since my car doesn't have that option from the factory would I'd probably go that route and save myself the hassle of running wires, has anyone tried that? Or should I order the special "Porsche Camera" they have and a separate wireless transmitter?

http://www.seicane.com/seicane-s1270...acitive-screen
Old 02-07-2017, 08:05 AM
psoma
Rennlist Member

Looks pretty good to me gjsauser. It's running a different custom firmware to the Android 4.4 version originally detailed and the Android 6 unit I have, but that's not to say there's anything wrong with it - it supports steering wheel controls AND the wireless camera (running the cables is a pain!!), so I wouldn't hesitate as an upgrade to the stock unit.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:56 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Does this have true GPS capability or does it use Android apps (and internet access) for navigation (like Waze)? Relying on internet access is fine for around town... but out in the woods, mountains, or in more remote areas, you can lose internet access but GPS still works.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:47 AM
psoma
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScootCherHienie
Does this have true GPS capability or does it use Android apps (and internet access) for navigation (like Waze)? Relying on internet access is fine for around town... but out in the woods, mountains, or in more remote areas, you can lose internet access but GPS still works.
A little of column A, a little of column B - it has a built in GPS receiver, but requires software to utilise it. They bundle iGo Primo with it, which works completely offline, but I find its absolute rubbish so installed Here Maps which also allows you to download offline maps and will provide traffic updates when online.

In short - you don't need to be online for any of its functionality, but you do get a richer experience when connected.

Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review