Sponsored by:

Would you buy used again?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 03:08 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by najnad
I am not asking if you would buy new or not, just if those of you who did buy your CTT used, if you think it was worth it in the long run, or did it have a lot of maintenance/reliability issues that if you knew before you bought it you would reconsider buying...

Similar to a friend of mine who bought a used Land Rover Ranger Rover Sport Supercharged...he got it for what he thought was a good price and low miles, but has ended up spending almost as much as he bought it for in repairs. He loves it, when it is running.

Just curious if anyone has similar experiences with the CTT? While I understand unless it is a certified used CTT, chances are I will need to sink a few grand into making sure normal maintenance is up to date, I dont want to have to worry about things breaking and it being in the shop every other month because after 100k miles all sorts of things start going bad.
I would in a heart beat. I have put close to 30k on it in the last two years with very little problems. Last week was a guibo and now a tie rod end (16$). It is starting to rust and has a few dents, but it runs fantastic. Had to put in a radiator fan 500$ and now it needs motor mounts (engine pull....really Hans and Franz, you couldn't have made it accessible?). The vibration, while a bit irritating goes away after 90km/h (55mph) and I can live with it until I have time to pull the motor....
Old 04-11-2016, 09:20 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 51 Posts

absolutely in a heartbeat. Got my 09 in 2012 with 15k miles and at 69k, was a substantial discount at the 139K sticker!!! I do have an exclusionary warranty to august 2018 or 100k miles, so that has been helpful
Old 04-12-2016, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Sure - as long as I can get a warranty to cover the expensive stuff.

A $130k CTT is way out of my new price range. A 5 year old CTT for less then half that is doable. Even with an extensive warranty, it's not an inexpensive car to own. My wife's Lexus is much more reasonable, but the Lexus is no fun to drive.

I am willing to pay for maintenance on my '11 CTT - and DIY as much as possible. Having a 5 year/100k warranty on the CTT lets me sleep at night. Having web communities such as this one make owning one much more feasible.

Did the plugs yesterday. It's not a trivial exercise - but it was doable. I'll have to write up a few hints on things I learned while doing them.
I'm looking at a few 2011-2013 CTT's as well- curious,
What if any issues have you had with this current generation?

- what brand warranty did you go with

Thanks!!
Old 04-12-2016, 01:08 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 668 Posts

I've been holding off replying on this thread, since najnad OP is looking for a '08, and mine is a '12.

But to answer the OP question: Yes, absolutely I would buy used again. And I chuckle to 69gaugeman's tongue&cheek comment saying the question is whether any of us would ever buy "new",... cuz the depreciation was crazy for the 3 yr old CTT I bought. I'm still amazed at that. And the '08-'10 is even better. Those are a great buy right now (I just personally liked the interior of the 958, but that is a personal choice).

But since 7391420 is asking about issues with 958.1's,... I'll chime in there & say none. I've had mine for 14 months, put 10k miles on it (now sitting at 30k miles), and have had zero problems. And I am a "button pusher". I am constantly messing with every feature this thing has. I would say in any 45 min drive, I am in&out of stiffness changes, air height changes, sport mode in & out, mucking with PCM buttons & features, and even seat adjustments (wtf, it seems my seat positioning depends on my mood??!!!). Anyway, I push my CTT too (performance wise, autocrossing it, towing my 964T, etc). Plus I am constantly putting the back seats up& down for hockey gear, wet Kiteboarding gear, driving it on dirt access roads to get to my favorite launch spots (making differential lock changes), etc.

Oh, & no I did not go with a 3rd party warranty, so I have no advise on "brands" or companies that provide those. In fact, mine did not even come as a CPO. It was a single owner, 3yr, 16k miles trade-in at the same dealership bought new, with pre-paid maintenance PSMP, and this thing was mint. So I was comfortable with my purchase. In the 14 months now, all my maintenance (incl 2 oil/filter changes, air-filter, plugs, brake fluid, & more, was all free to me).

These truly are very fine machines. Loving my ownership experience.
=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 04-15-2016 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:06 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by 7391420

Thanks!!
No issues yet - but it's only been a month and about 1,500 miles. Runs just fine, everything works. Did plugs, will be doing front pads soon. Those are DIY items.

Preferred Warranty. Has a BBB A+ rating (http://www.bbb.org/washington-dc-eas...-pa-235963412/). I've been told those can be "bought" - but you can also read reviews of reports made to BBB, and in almost all the cases where people were unhappy - they also were uninformed and unrealistic on what the warranty they purchased paid for. In some cases, Premier paid them even though the item wasn't included in the warranty terms.

https://www.warrantys.com/protection-plans/plus

I got the "Plus" program - which covers almost everything except normal wear items. It is "inclusionary" meaning you have to really READ the policy over to make sure it covers what you want it to cover. They don't make this easy since they don't give you the actual policy until you've paid for it (you do have 30 days to cancel and receive a full refund).. but in my case I managed to see a copy of the policy before paying, and it satisfied me that the vast majority of expensive items are covered.

Coverage does have a $100/deductible (ok with me since it makes the cost less by stopping frivolous claims) and allows the use of used parts (sourced by the warranty company) if available. That's also not a big problem since the used parts would be covered for the remainder of the warranty period, and they would be going into a used vehicle - first year production - so most used parts would likely be newer then what they'd replace.

Cost was around $3,500. This policy has to be purchased through a car dealer (used car dealers qualify) who carry it - and has an inspection criteria that the dealership has to have done (they had an independent Porsche shop do the inspection and an oil-change.) The "ExtraMile" policy has be purchased at the time you purchase the vehicle.

I had a friend at a BMW dealership ask his finance guy for a price on a Fidelity warranty, same coverage, same period/miles. It was almost $10,000. That seemed rather silly to me. At that price - put the money in the bank, you'll likely come out ahead.

BTW - love the CTT. Classy vehicle (one big difference over the 955 /S that I traded in.. no one mentions VW when they see it.. the comments are usually "WOW", and people have simply walked up and told me how much they liked it) that goes like stink and drives much better then a 4,500lb vehicle should.

Last edited by deilenberger; 04-12-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:29 PM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
I'd buy used again. Have had mine for about 9 months and 10k miles. Been a solid vehicle for me, I was caught out by the torque convertor seal right after I bought it. Other than that only normal maintenance besides replacing the coolant over flow tank.

Going to keep this one until the 2011+ CTT's depreciate into my price range.
how low is that? I think the 2011+ CTT is already pretty cheap
Old 04-13-2016, 07:32 PM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Sure - as long as I can get a warranty to cover the expensive stuff.

A $130k CTT is way out of my new price range. A 5 year old CTT for less then half that is doable. Even with an extensive warranty, it's not an inexpensive car to own. My wife's Lexus is much more reasonable, but the Lexus is no fun to drive.

I am willing to pay for maintenance on my '11 CTT - and DIY as much as possible. Having a 5 year/100k warranty on the CTT lets me sleep at night. Having web communities such as this one make owning one much more feasible.

Did the plugs yesterday. It's not a trivial exercise - but it was doable. I'll have to write up a few hints on things I learned while doing them.
What "expensive" stuff? This is my third used Porsche and being a standard V8 turbo should be a heck of a lot cheaper to work on than the flat-6 engines in my last two porsches since front engine V8 is more common than mid-engine flat six

I'm still going by the old adage "set aside $300-$400 a month for Porsche maintenance and repairs" that I learned from reading forums with the last two Porsches. So far I've been lucky, neither the last two needed $3600-$4800 a year in maintenance or repairs
Old 04-13-2016, 07:35 PM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Originally Posted by 7391420

Thanks!!
No problems yet, i'll let you know if I do. I have service records going back to the original owner, no problems there either, just dealer service
Old 04-13-2016, 10:46 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by boxsternewbie
What "expensive" stuff? This is my third used Porsche and being a standard V8 turbo should be a heck of a lot cheaper to work on than the flat-6 engines in my last two porsches since front engine V8 is more common than mid-engine flat six
Do a bit of reading about the Variocam bolts failing - in more then one case it resulted in getting a new engine (production from late 2010 to late 2011.) Or the several reports of cylinder walls breaking down. Or transfer cases failing.

An alternator for the CTT list price from Porsche is $1,100 new - before installation. Replacement of the engine mounts requires engine removal. Turbos are around $4,000 each, and require engine removal to replace.

There are lots of opportunities for a Cayenne to cost more in repairs then the warranty cost me.

Don't get me wrong - I'm hoping to never need the warranty. I hope it turns out I never have to make a claim.. but chances based on past experience with my '06 Cayenne /S is - I will need it sooner or later.

As far as the V8 being more "common" - well - I guess - but it's also one of the worlds most complex V8's, packed into a rather small space, so lots of things that are easy on an old American V8 in a huge engine compartment become a big project on the Cayenne.

Did the spark plugs Sunday. Took about 4 hours. With mostly the right tools. Could have done it in 10 minutes in an old Chevy V8, with just one spark plug wrench. They're both V8's - but a millennia apart in engineering and complexity.

Just saw a copy of the factory service manual for the Cayenne (Ebay - UK) - looked at it. 10,965 pages. That's complexity.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:50 PM
Paris-Dakkar
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2004 - 2008

First time caller, but I saw your post and panicked. Get rid of the o4 instantly. I have spent a fortune on mine, because it was the first year there were a lot of issues that were worked out in later models.

Especially that the coolant tubes were plastic, Porsche later made aluminum but of course no discount. That was $6k. I live in LA, so I broke the front axle on the freaking 101. I have broken several shock towers - this is NOT off-road, this is LA pot holes. Beirut is safer. I thought they rallied these cars?

My solution to the suspension was to tear out the fancy *** suspension and put in springs ($6k) so I will never have to deal with it again. What else? I have a pin-hole in my turbo so that's got to be done eventually, though it's hung on for a long time but I have less "umph".

What else? Do you know it has two fuel pumps? I've replaced one, but now another is going. Again, Porsche knew they messed up and made a "kit", but no discount. Do you know that if a fuel pump dies you can take out fuse #14 to initiate the backup? I didn't until quite recently.

Minor things: your tail things (I'm tired, I can't remember what they are called, that keep up the tailgate will fail. Then the hood one will fail. You can use a vice-grip to hold it up in a... wait for it... pinch.

Oh, the tire pressure sensors are psychotic, replaced, didn't work. Gave up. Now I have to check manually.

Aside from that I love it. It saved us in a flood out in the desert. And all of the above with a good private mechanic who also services my 996 turbo. I have to tell you the 996 has been nothing but joy, no drama, totally reliable.

I have 98k on the Cayenne Turbo now, so I will be doing some things and trying to get another 100 out of her. But in the future I would never buy the first year of anything. Good luck, the 08 should be a lot more sorted.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:02 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 351 Posts

For me I wait until they're around $30k or less.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:22 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by docwyte
For me I wait until they're around $30k or less.
That'll be a while on the 958 CTT.. right now, reasonable mileage ones are selling for around $50k.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:04 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

That'll be a while on the 958 CTT.. right now, reasonable mileage ones are selling for around $50k.
The sad reality is that $30k 958tts are only a couple years away. This dismal value retention is why I, and many others, opt to wait further on this curve.

More power to the flush folk buying not only new, but also used in the 50k range though. Without them there would be no Cayennes available for those of us with other financial priorities.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:01 PM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm on my second Cayenne 1st Turbo Cayenne,I was lucky both owners were pretty good and had tons of records and were just good people and made the transaction good for me. I even called one guy back a couple months after owning my CTT for more info and he was good about it.
I also bought my 951 and 928s4 from fellow Porsche guys and it just made things easier
Old 04-14-2016, 03:53 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 351 Posts

It helps that I don't mind having a higher mileage vehicle. In fact, at least with the CTT's, having a higher mileage one just means that the previous owner got to fix all the issues.

A few more years and the 958's will be in the $30k range...

Quick Reply: Would you buy used again?