Sponsored by:

'04 CTT TLC thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 10:46 PM
Screamin6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...cantara+fabric

$4-$7.50 a yard. Buy a yard just to check or maybe the seller will send a sample? It doesn't feel like my headliner is foam backed, just adhered to the fiber backer board.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:56 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
The $107 Lemforder engine mounts were a Farce; rockauto.com called me and said they were "not in stock" meaning "we didn't realize the price had gone up, and now we don't want to actually sell them to you for $107." So I had to cancel my order.
What a PITA. Through the various online retailers, I see (other than Lemfoerder and OE Porsche), Hamburg Technic and Corteco. Anyone use those brands? I think I've gone across both, don't think there's anything bad to say about them, but I've seen murmurs of (negative) criticism of Hamburg Technic. Personally, the two aftermarket parts manufacturers for German cars I will absolutely not touch are Meyle and Uro parts.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:12 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Just google "hamburg technic engine mounts" and see for yourself.

From my 944 days, the Corteco mounts were too stiff and transmitted a lot of vibration. Don't know if that's true for the Cayenne, but they cost as much (more?) than the Porsche mounts.

On another note, here's my first used oil analysis. Iron PPM is a little high, but overall pretty good for the age and no red flags.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:22 AM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Engine idle dip

One thing I've noticed is if I turn off the a/c, (Econ button) there's no idle dip coming to a stop.

With the a/c on auto, the idle dip is consistent as everybody else has noticed. Fortunately, it appears to be common and not harmful, just annoying!
Old 11-05-2015, 07:55 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Colorado driveshaft installed. I did notice coming out that the triple-square bolts holding the driveshaft onto the diff were pretty loose.

The center u-joint is also not as articulate as I would have imagined.

Anyways, a lot of the "slop" in the drivetrain is gone, as is the clunking and banging I heard driving around parking lots. The jackhammer under the armrest is gone, and the vibration is all but gone. Alright!
Old 11-06-2015, 03:38 PM
iamtheari
Advanced

Any trouble getting the old driveshaft out? I have the Colorado one in my garage, where it's remained for the past 2 years since I bought it and tried but failed to install it. The metal had corrosion-welded itself together at the point where the driveshaft sits in the concave flange on the transfer case and I gave up on removing it after a few hours of hammering and cursing. I'll get around to swapping it out one of these days but obviously my symptoms are not nearly as severe as yours were!
Old 11-07-2015, 12:14 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Well, I had already done the flex-disc when I did the EPS a few weeks ago, so it wasn't an issue and came apart easily. Likewise, the bolts holding the shaft onto the differential were frighteningly loose. I put maybe 10ft-lbs of torque on them with a ratchet to get them to start coming out.

I still am unclear as to what happened with this shaft- it's marked with a 2012 vertex sticker and I can't tell there's anything obviously wrong with it, other than the center joint started slinging a lot of grease.

I was determined to get a car that hadn't seen a lot of salt- I got under this car before I bought it and saw how rust-free it was. I would recommend you just keep dousing that joint with PB blaster and tap it with an air chisel until it comes loose. Might take a few days' treatment.

I made it from FL to VA no problem towing the 911. Brake controller is working great; somehow avoided any dipped beam or brake booster faulty errors too. Got 13mpg @ 70mph cruising speed. Only issue was a slight vibration at 72mph. Nothing bad though; I think could just be wheel balancing.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:06 PM
iamtheari
Advanced

Looks like you had nice weather for towing. The rig looks good.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:58 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Do not by Dorman front lower control arms, FYI. My car came with them, with a receipt from March 2014. A year and a half later, the ball joint boots are torn and the bushings are toast.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:37 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

Lemfoerder or TRW FTMFW.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:02 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

137k mile update:

Got the car back from marky522 yesterday. I do 99% of all jobs myself, but even I have to punt things to a pro every now and then. I dropped off the car and some parts a couple weeks ago and let him have at it:

-Engine dropped to replace engine mounts
-"brake booster failure" vacuum lines replaced
-MAFs cleaned and re-sealed
-cam cover gaskets replaced (both were leaking)
-engine and engine bay detailed (looks brand new)
-new coolant, a/c charge, and power steering fluid, since they had to be disconnected
-new low-frequency horn installed
-headliner removed, peeled back, de-foamed, and re-glued. There are a couple very small wrinkles towards the back where he wasn't able to stretch it quite enough, but honestly, you'd have to really be looking to notice. I am really, really happy with the headliner results. I hope it stays together for at least a few years.

The difference the engine mounts make is unreal. Honestly, it felt like a ragged project car when I dropped it off, and it feels like a new car now.

-No more "idle dip" coming to a stop.
-No more highway vibration that feels like a wheel is out-of-balance.
-Can't feel the engine running at idle. Honestly, when I started the car the first time, I almost turned the starter over again because I thought the engine had died. It's that good.
-Power delivery and shifting feel silky smooth. Had a nine-hour trip home towing the steel trailer, empty thankfully, and it was no sweat.

When your mechanic delivers your car and trailer, but needs a ride home in his own cayenne S.

Finished product

Foam removed

Last edited by knfeparty; 11-30-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:33 AM
iamtheari
Advanced

That's great news about the new engine mounts.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:54 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Originally Posted by iamtheari
That's great news about the new engine mounts.
Seriously, with the mounts and Colorado driveshaft, it's like a brand new car. It's that good.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:56 AM
iamtheari
Advanced

Now I have to get to a dealership and give them some money. Dropping the engine in the 964 I had was enough of an at-home chore for me. Doing it myself in the Cayenne, no thanks. But I'd imagine whatever you paid was worth every penny for the results you're talking about.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:17 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

What I paid was definitely worth it...for the cost it would be at a dealership, it would have to be a very nice and very well-optioned 955 for it to be worth it.

Quick Reply: '04 CTT TLC thread