AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Webster Pass, CO
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2017, 09:56 PM
BigBearJoe
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Is this legit? To my eye, those mountains look like they've been photoshopped in from Google Earth.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:20 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBearJoe
Is this legit? To my eye, those mountains look like they've been photoshopped in from Google Earth.
Yup. You're busted Klax.

c
Old 10-15-2017, 10:45 AM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been there, looks legit to me!
Old 10-18-2017, 08:30 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

think it's just a bit of telephoto compression throwing off the depth perception. Great shot and looks like it was a fun drive.

I am heading back to Florida International Rally and Motorsports Park this Saturday to take the Cayenne out for a track day...but after some hot laps we are swapping wheels/tires and hitting the trails!

Pics and vids to follow. It is looking like it will be quite wet
Old 10-21-2017, 04:57 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Took the blue CTTS to the woods today to pick some mushrooms. Same route I usually take the RZR through. Have to say I was impressed how it handled really muddy forrest roads. Definitely got some scratches today but who cares, had fun!

Didn’t take a pic while off road, this is how it looked like right before we went to wash the wheels and bottom of the car by wadding through about 1.5ft of water

Last edited by user 83838290; 08-22-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:11 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

lots of usage out of the winch this past weekend
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2017, 09:11 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Latest vid of track day and some trail riding.

Anyone else having struggles with the [ YT ] embed?

Old 10-30-2017, 08:52 PM
BigBearJoe
Advanced

Such a cool idea to demonstrate both ends of the spectrum of Porsche Cayenne performance in one day at one location in one video. Not surprised it can't keep up with a 911 but I have seen video of folks hustling a Cayenne around a track pretty rapidly with intentional drifting.

I also find it interesting how "off-road" tends to mean mud, water, bogs and swamps in the eastern United States whereas here in the west I think of rocks and dry conditions.

Also it's sad how some "off-road" videos show Cayenne driving through nothing more than dirt roads and 6 inch deep puddles. You know, the stuff you could do in your Honda Civic if you are so inclined. Nothing like tackling a moderate forest road for several miles only to find the ubiquitous minivan parked at the trailhead!
Old 10-31-2017, 08:28 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Thanks and I hope you enjoyed!

Florida is a swamp and sadly we don't have large rocks or inclines of any sort. On our other video we drove to an off-road park in Ocala, and THAT had some inclines and larger rocks, but for the most part it only exists because it used to be a rock quarry and some stuff was put there intentionally for off-roading. We don't have the sort of natural landscape for rock-crawling stuff. And "dry" doesn't even exist in Florida. It's the word we use for the moments between thunderstorms where the humidity drops from 100% to 98%. I would LOVE to come try some western US off-road venturing but have never been.

But what we DO have is plentiful soft, sticky mud that will swallow just about anything, and especially a heavy Cayenne. And it's fun in its own right, but moreso for the huge lifted pickup truck with 80" tires crowd.

On track, I couldn't get the cayenne to rotate whatsoever. Obviously I drove with PSM off but still It's obvious it was designed to understeer for safety. The main reason it's slow on track is the brakes; I can get maybe one to two hot laps before they fade, even with Motul 600 fluid and EBC Yellowstuffs. I think some tougher pads, stickier tires, and a thicker rear sway bar would make it faster.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:59 PM
BigBearJoe
Advanced

I wonder which is potentially more hazardous; packing mud and water into the undercarriage or banging things up going over rocks?

Is part of the difficulty that the two track ruts get really deep and the center hump effectively high centers the car?

I have no idea about how to drive quickly around a track. But I do know that my Turbo Cayenne is still so much more fun when you mash the throttle going around a curve than anything else I've ever owned.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:48 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 135 Posts

The most "hazardous" part of off-roading is not understanding the limits of your vehicle in the current conditions. Most often due to being impatient to get through/around an obstacle and putting too much pressure on something that wouldn't otherwise break. Like trying to turn while a wheel is solidly jammed against rocks, breaking a tie rod end (or other parts of the steering). Or bouncing such that something comes down at the wrong angle. There's no shortage of the wrong ways to off-road and quite a lot of them come from being impatient.

Having off-roaded Jeeps many a time, the thing that bugged me the most was cleaning off the mud that gets onto EVERYTHING in the engine compartment. I shudder to think of how much of a chore it'd be to de-gunk my Cayenne after a muddy trip through some of the clay we have around here. And nothing is quite as good at attracting small stones like the shrouds around brake discs.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:57 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Originally Posted by BigBearJoe
Is part of the difficulty that the two track ruts get really deep and the center hump effectively high centers the car?
This is exactly what happened in the photo I posted above. Car went into air suspension workshop because, basically, all 4 wheels are just dangling in what is effectively water with no traction.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:44 PM
RS-America
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

We have a diesel that is off-road at lot in the Northwest. On the Magruder Corridor & Lolo Pass we went from 3,800 ft up to 8,000 then down to 4,000 in less than a mile. With the diesel 'fix' looks like Porsche will neuter our downhill assist. This is a specific that they want to do from their fix document -
"Downhill Driving – Removal of the enhanced automatic engine braking feature may require drivers to apply more brake pedal in downhill driving."
Old 11-01-2017, 01:42 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
Took the blue CTTS to the woods today to pick some mushrooms. Same route I usually take the RZR through. Have to say I was impressed how it handled really muddy forrest roads. Definitely got some scratches today but who cares, had fun!

Didn’t take a pic while off road, this is how it looked like right before we went to wash the wheels and bottom of the car by wadding through about 1.5ft of water
Lupo, what size front spacer did you use to allow a 10" wide Sport Techno to clear brakes?

Quick Reply: Pics of your Cayenne off-road!