Sponsored by:

Pics of your Cayenne off-road!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 11:18 AM
joepjoep
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
Went to hard rock MX off road park in Ocala, FL with the Jeep club. It was a blast and really opened my eyes to what the cayenne (and jeeps) would do.

I aired down to 26-28psi or so and found that gave the tires a good "bulge" without looking like they would de-bead. I removed one of the front swaybar droplinks but left the rear connected. I kept PSM on and the center diff locked the whole time.

Car did well but on the top of the really steep hills, PSM would take away all throttle and the car would just bog. I banged up a rocker panel and broke the exhaust loose of the clamps high-centering on a muddy berm. Nothing bad though.

The car was a boss at the water fording. The engine bay got nasty from the belt and fan slinging mud everywhere, but my doors stayed water-tight while the Jeeps all got filled with water

The car is also *really* good at hill descent. It will go down ridiculously steep inclines with irregular surfaces without any brake or throttle input whatsoever, even while managing wheel slip.
Dude, Much respect! And mad video skills with the drone footage too. I was out this weekend myself with the Northern Virginia Jeeper's Association for their Annual Spotter's Training. We went to a private off road park and I was the guinea pig here as they guided me up and through this rocky trail. It has been raining for a week straight here so everything was wet, and this weekend it was a rushing stream.

What year is your truck, I spotted the proverbial green cap in the engine bay. Do you have you PDCC?

Old 10-03-2016, 11:33 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

The drone flying was all done by the Spectro Racing guys; check out their other videos as they've done some cool ones.

My car is a pretty basic 2004 Cayenne Turbo. It has none of the desirable options...no metal skid plates, no rear locker, and of course PDCC wasn't yet available in 2004. Just air suspension. Rock sliders or side steps would have been highly desirable as I did bend up the rocker panel a bit on this outing, and I believe the rock sliders would have taken the hit instead.

The green cap that's visible is just power steering. I run my engine bay "naked" because I had to fix so many things in the engine bay when I first got it that it didn't make sense to leave the plastics installed.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:11 PM
joepjoep
Intermediate

OK thanks. I knew you didn't have a 958 but that pic made me confused for a minute if you had an 957 or 955. I'm right down there with you for a lack of options.

I'm also starting to notice a trend here. Between you, NotSlowNotFast and myself, where are all the purple Cayennes who go off road?
Old 10-03-2016, 02:11 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

^^ it looks like you both have that champagne-metallic color, whatever it's called. Mine is the more common dark silver, Titanium I think it is?

Another question for NotSlowNotFast; you have a hi-lift jack. Where the heck do you lift the cayenne with it? My friend has a hi-lift and it wouldn't even reach my jack pads.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:59 PM
joepjoep
Intermediate

bump!

If you're interested sign up very soon!
Opportunity for anyone in the Mid-Atlantic to take some Pics of your Cayenne Off Road!

Details here:
https://pcapotomac.org/11-potomac/ac...rive-dine-2016

Where to: Flagpole Knobb Harrisonburg, VA
Date: Saturday November 12th 2016
Deadline to Sign up: Wednesday November 9th 2016
Register here: http://msreg.com/FallOffRoadDnD2016
Costs: $75 for NVJA Instruction & diner at Local Chop & Grill House. Advance registration is required for planning purposes.

Originally Posted by joepjoep
Opportunity for anyone in the Mid-Atlantic to take some Pics of your Cayenne Off Road!

Details here:

Costs: $75 for NVJA Instruction & diner at Local Chop & Grill House. Advance registration is required for planning purposes.

This is the same run markar and I did earlier in this thread last year.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:15 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 135 Posts

Well, dang it, I just found out I'll be taking delivery of the Cayenne on the 11th in Atlanta! No chance I'll be able to talk the wife/kid into rushing all the back for this. Ah well, next time for sure.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:23 PM
11driver
AutoX

I've got a great '08 Pig that has been one of the best vehicle purchases I have ever made. I've babied it and have gotten regular service from a great Porsche mechanic. I have the standard suspension, no air.

It's time though to quit using it as an urban assault vehicle ....

I've got an opportunity to head out to the OBX of NC later this week after the storm and do some surf fishing (that I love) and I'm going to need to take my own vehicle to remain flexible with my schedule.

A couple of questions: The beach sand I'll be in will be your standard southeastern US coastal sand. I'll be doing no dune climbing or water bogging. I will need to get from the house on the sound side to the beach side and then roam around the beach. Some of the sand is deep with ruts from previous vehicles, some of the sand is hard packed. How do I set it up to drive on the beach?

I've been to the OBX for years in my bro's 4WD trucks and I've driven their trucks out there many times so I do have a clue about actually driving on the beach. I already know to pressure down to at least 20psi. I'm asking specifically what to engage or not engage on my '08 Pig. Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:43 PM
kallebuschmann
1st Gear

Default Cayenne Off-Road Companion App

I apologise for taking advantage of this thread, but it seems you are all exactly the people we are looking for — and I will provide a pic.

I am a designer at frog. We are currently working on a project to create an off-road companion app, which will also support the Cayenne. To make sure we are creating the right solution which will excite you and provide real value, we are looking for people to participate in our initial research.

If you are interested to support us — we are providing a small incentive for your time — please let me know beginning of this week (Oct. 10): kalle.buschmann@frogdesign.com.

And here is the pic I promised.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:26 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kallebuschmann

<snip> And here is the pic I promised.

kallebuschmann, is that your diesel in the picture? If it were mine, the wheel in the air would be spinning madly and I would have no torque transferred to the wheels with traction. I would be stuck there.
Yes, I use the Off-road switch, but no brakes are applied to the spinning wheel. As you know , the Diesels and eHybrids have a different off-road mode. Trying to troubleshoot my "no center lock or brake applied" situation.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:48 AM
ReichenbachRacer
5th Gear

Is anyone on this forum interested in a lift kit?
Old 10-11-2016, 03:30 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Originally Posted by 11driver
I've been to the OBX for years in my bro's 4WD trucks and I've driven their trucks out there many times so I do have a clue about actually driving on the beach. I already know to pressure down to at least 20psi. I'm asking specifically what to engage or not engage on my '08 Pig. Any suggestions are welcome.

Family has a beach house on the OBX. I think locking the center diff would be useful to engage but not necessary. I disengage mine when I go to pull u-turns or park on the beach. You should be good on street tires unless you're on really low-profile ones, like you have 21"+ wheels.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:11 PM
loxner

Hunting for kayaking spots last weekend in my 957S

Name:  Photo%20Oct%2008%203%2023%2038%20PM_zpsfcg67sry.jpg
Views: 3735
Size:  132.6 KB
Old 11-10-2016, 01:31 PM
joepjoep
Intermediate

* Final Bump *

We still have a couple of slots open if you want to join us! Any capable vehicle is welcome, not just Cayennes.

Details here:

This is the same run markar and I did earlier in this thread last year.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:10 PM
BKCO
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rollins Pass, CO - Some light off roading in my Base, 6 Speed Manual 958. Had a blast, vehicle handled better than expected (even with no air suspension). Very impressed

Old 11-19-2016, 02:30 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Mad Articulation

Always loved this "Glamour Shot"....
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Pics of your Cayenne off-road!