Sponsored by:

The Toureg Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 02:57 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
My wife likes the dash in the V more than in the P, but we've yet to drive either so I can't take a position on the seats or general fit and finish. Some here have said the fit and finish on the P is superior to the V which surprised me because for other models of V, I've thought the F&F were quite good. Again, something to look for.

I don't wish to autocross this SUV even if it can. For me, performance is probably well below the abilities of these cars from a speed view. I do have an unusual wish for a modern SUV and that it be capable of duty off road. I do NOT mean a real 4 x 4 course - I have my pickup for that - but rather being able to go where traction is ok but ground clearance is an issue for some passenger cars and where a conventional sports car like a 911 can't even consider going.

You see, we've evolved our dream car idea which is one we'd enjoy driving to some place in the mountains but then also enjoy touring around forest roads at our destinations. Sure, my truck can do the forest roads bit but it's sort of a drag on a freeway or other high speed drone. A 911 or Cayman or other similar are blasts to drive to the destination inn or B&B but then we have no way to get to the places we want to see and we're near.

Clearly the off road duty will be VERY mild because I'm not going to ruin the SUV by putting on aggressive tires like on my truck, but there are thousands of miles of roads in my region which only demand a high clearance and, in some cases, a low ratio transfer case (for going downhill) would be desirable.

It seems with the right options, either vehicle would do. My issue will be if I'd be content with the S / V8 or if my wife would stand the fuel usage of a turbo. I have to admit my weakness here that the lure of that turbo model has me dreaming of a have it all vehicle. I need to keep telling myself "It's for her, not you" but so far I am having a tough sale on myself.
The Treg (at least the Gen1) are VERY off road capable. There was a recent journey where a guy from Austrailia went from england to singapore, the long way around. There were places where the word road was used loosely.

In offroad mode the treg raises some 75mm (3") from normal driving position. Added with low 4 it is a very good off road vehicle
Old 08-18-2013, 03:03 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Do you know if the subsequent gen Tregs are less capable off road? If so, what year demarks the gen 1 from 2 (etc)?
Old 08-18-2013, 03:09 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my 2012 Touareg TDI Exec. Compared to the Cayenne Diesel, it's hands-down the better value any way you slice it. The Porsche has more features, add-ons, etc. Love the fact you can order a Cayenne exactly as desired. Of course, you pay a premium for it, but this where the Porsche beats the Touareg as you can get features not available here with VW.

The rest is all marketing and badge status.

There is no right or wrong answer especially if you have the $$.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:12 PM
fincher
Racer

Do you know if the subsequent gen Tregs are less capable off road? If so, what year demarks the gen 1 from 2 (etc)?
The current gen. Can be found on some 2008-10 models (facelift gen) .
Old 08-18-2013, 03:13 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Seriously ? Really ?

You obviously made the right choice for you but please don't justify your purchase of a boring car by trying to compare it by badge and $$ because thats just not valid.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:22 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fincher
I love my 2012 Touareg TDI Exec. Compared to the Cayenne Diesel, it's hands-down the better value any way you slice it. The Porsche has more features, add-ons, etc. Love the fact you can order a Cayenne exactly as desired. Of course, you pay a premium for it, but this where the Porsche beats the Touareg as you can get features not available here with VW.

The rest is all marketing and badge status.

There is no right or wrong answer especially if you have the $$.
Porsche is definitely the winner overall in the 1 from column A, 2 from column b and 3 from column c manner of ordering up your new car. Hard to believe that a few years ago, there were only a few variants of the 911 at any given model year. Today I probably can only name 30% of them.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:22 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fincher
The current gen. Can be found on some 2008-10 models (facelift gen) .
So the gen 1 ended with the 08 as it did the Cayenne?
Old 08-18-2013, 03:26 PM
fincher
Racer

So the gen 1 ended with the 08 as it did the Cayenne?
2007 was last gen 1 for North America though a lot of the hidden parts are gen 2.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:37 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

OK. Thanks. Unless I find a time capsule one, I think 07 may be a bit further back than we wish to go. I did look at the current '14 models on the VW site. I think the Treg has morphed into a luxo ride more than a dual sport SUV. I could be wrong, though.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:59 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mudman2
Seriously ? Really ?

You obviously made the right choice for you but please don't justify your purchase of a boring car by trying to compare it by badge and $$ because thats just not valid.
The treg is no less boring than a V6 Cayenne! Seriously? Or even a Cayenne S. It is only exciting once you get into the turbo models......

OK. Thanks. Unless I find a time capsule one, I think 07 may be a bit further back than we wish to go. I did look at the current '14 models on the VW site. I think the Treg has morphed into a luxo ride more than a dual sport SUV. I could be wrong, though.
Go to clubtouareg,com. They have a lot of posts about this subject there.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:00 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Who would go there ?
Old 08-19-2013, 09:51 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
Go to clubtouareg,com. They have a lot of posts about this subject there.
Thanks for the site info.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Rickyuk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friend of mine just bought the v6 Toureg diesel. 2010. It's a nice car with all of the upgrades including 2 tone leather seats. It drives very well and is good on fuel. So for less that $30000 with only 33000 miles he has a very nice truck. I have the v8 S Cayanne so I am biased.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:09 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

I've seen a few V10 diesels for sale. I had no idea the VW came with that engine.

Anyway, the story has ended with the purchase of a CPO Cayenne Turbo. We 'shook hands'in email today. I'll wire the money tomorrow and hope it'll be here next week.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:27 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

I've seen a few V10 diesels for sale. I had no idea the VW came with that engine.

Anyway, the story has ended with the purchase of a CPO Cayenne Turbo. We 'shook hands'in email today. I'll wire the money tomorrow and hope it'll be here next week.

Nice. There is no treg comparable for that monster! I will own one, one day.

Quick Reply: The Toureg Problem