The Toureg Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Certainly they all have their flaws (as I pointed out with Apple's app), but with the PCM I'm not just talking about newish roads not existing or POIs being out of date. I'm talking about a screwed up routing algorithm that you can't override/adjust.

At least with the web based options you can view the entire route in zoomed detail and manually adjust it as needed.

And god forbid the PCM really gets a stick up it's *** about how it thinks you should go. When I took it to the AutoX event not only did it not want me to use the toll road or beltway, it really didn't want me to. So every exit it wanted me to get off which meant I got 1 4 mile stretch of peace from the damn thing as it wouldn't even bother to realize that I was serious and recalculate on it's own. At one point I could see that it wanted to take me off the beltway, run me north (I'm heading west) for a few miles, then bring me back south of the beltway, and finally get back on the same beltway I was currently on about 2 miles from where I currently was. That it also thought a baseball stadium was located in the middle of an intersection also didn't please me much...

Additionally I programmed it the night before and it was appearing to take the route I looked at on Google (north on the beltway). When I got in the following morning, that wasn't even one of the options it allowed me to pick. All 3 were surface streets through DC (and while it is shorter and possibly faster at that hour on the weekend, I happened to know of road closures for events that negated that idea).
Well, I have to say that if you think the Porsche Nav is bad you should see the 2011 and up BMW Nav.

I got our BMW while living in NoVA, and took that car all over, up to NY, up to PA, etc., and the algorithms were AWFUL. Same when I moved down to Houston, it was totally screwed up. Routing me all over the place, completely out of the way, etc.

The PCM's nav isn't nearly as bad. We've used it a decent amount and so far it's been fine.

For examples of how bad the BMW nav was:

How I wanted to go to PA:

How the BMW wanted to send me:

How I was planning on going to Chipotle:

How the BMW wanted me to go - apparently to miss out on food:

How I should have gotten off the highway:

How the BMW sent me. Apparently it likes illegal u-turns. See below.

All of the above were recreations of actual routes the BMW sent me or tried to send me.

Some live shots:

U-Turn across a road with a JERSEY BARRIER in it. Oh, by the way, you can go under and take the cloverleaf to go Northbound.

DC Madness:

My favorite. You're on the highway? No traffic? No road closures? Well hell, that's just no fun. Let's totally f*ck with your mind by getting off the highway, driving around a bit, maybe some screwed up turns, and then get back on the highway 1/2 mile from where you got on. You know, just for kicks. Because I just want to drive MORE.

So when I hear that the PCM Nav has screwed up algorithms or sucks, well, sorry, I've been there. This isn't it.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:06 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My approach.. Hey wife map a good route on your iphone and tell me where to go. DONE. I just take her everywhere.

Quick Reply: The Toureg Problem