Sponsored by:

The Toureg Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:47 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts
Default The Toureg Problem

We tentatively decided our next P-car would be a Cayenne. Since the idea is that this would be my wife's DD, she went off to do her research on model, year and specifics she'd like.

Her research (beats me her sources) evaluated to her that the VW Toureg is the functional equivalent of the 6 cylinder Cayenne in all regards. She prefers the ergonomics of the VW too.

I understood that the VW and Porsche shared a good deal more than just platform, but thought the P had majorly tweaked suspension and perhaps some other changes aside from a P badge and a re-done dash.

I am sure that the differences between these vehicles has been evaluated to pieces by now so rather than ask the Cayenne Collective to re-hash this, can the Collective please point me to to such an evaluation?

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:25 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i looked briefly at a Toureg before buying a Cayenne CPO.
they certainly share A LOT but there are some small differences:
P - lighter, firmer ride, bigger brakes, about 20hp more
V - has more cargo space, a lot more standard equipment, cost less, 2yr/24k of maintenance included, bigger dealer network.

Frankly, if i needed to choose b/w the 2 today, its would be the Toureg R line in the low $50's vs the Cayenne at >$70k.

Last edited by kosmo; 08-16-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:29 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

My wife prefers the dash layout in the V which has her swaying toward that. Does firmer ride mean better handling?

Something which impressed me a bit back about the P was we attended an autocross and one of the competitors was a Cayenne. He did well too. I thought at that time that this is my sort of SUV.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:30 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
can the Collective please point me to to such an evaluation?

Thanks.
The evaluation sleeps next to you and picked the less expensive option.

You are welcome.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:43 AM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Divot +1

My evaluator didn't like the Toureg's seats, so we got the Cayenne.

No matter how much I may like or dislike a vehicle, if my wife isn't happy with it, I am not going to be happy with it.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:44 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
My wife prefers the dash layout in the V which has her swaying toward that. Does firmer ride mean better handling?

Something which impressed me a bit back about the P was we attended an autocross and one of the competitors was a Cayenne. He did well too. I thought at that time that this is my sort of SUV.
yes, however, I believe the Toureg is available w/ a sports suspension in the R line?
Go drive both.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RESP
Divot +1

My evaluator didn't like the Toureg's seats, so we got the Cayenne.

No matter how much I may like or dislike a vehicle, if my wife isn't happy with it, I am not going to be happy with it.
Repeat after me. "Yes, dear."

It's her car, that she researched. Your only option is to be wrong at some point in the future. I'd pay more just to avoid the 'evil eye', and you get to pay less. She's a keeper.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:26 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes there are more than just visual differences between the two when spec'd as close as possible, but you have to evaluate who will be driving it the most and how it will be driven to determine if those differences are worthwhile.

If she is not a "driver" then the Treg might be a better option for her (especially if she likes the ergonomics better). If she instead likes to throw cars around twisty roads, then the P!g will be a better option.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

It's going to be your wife's DD, and she prefers the interior of the VW. I know that if I was in the same situation, and purchased the P!G, I'd never hear the end of it.

They're both good cars, but you need to keep her happy.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:17 PM
bzliteyear
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

she may prefer V's looks, but when things go wrong, it'll still be your "fault" and your responsibility to fix. i don't know the track record for sure on toureg v cayenne, but from what i've heard, the initial quality/customer satisfaction is super hi for porsche and not so good for vw(plus less warranty?). i was at the porsche dealer yday and the sales guy was all jazzed up on the diesel. he owns the car, and for everyday driving, he said he'd take it over the cayenne s or cayenne turbo.

p.s. although cayenne may cost $15k+ more, i think when it comes to resale, i think you'll get a good chunk of the difference back. therefore, i think it's just the cost of capital on the extra $15k(that's one way of looking at it).

PL
Old 08-16-2013, 12:21 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Last time I changed I tested the T TDI. And it was nice but I remember thinking at the time that it was a great rental, something you could hand back at the airport and forget very quickly
Old 08-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Have any of you retards ever been involved in a relationship with a woman?

The options consist of 1) you lose, or 2) she doesn't pick the car you prefer. (Please note your choice is not involved.)

Hum and haw over her decision making ability when it comes to cars, drive her to the dealership, and write a check. Or, you can be miserable for the life of the motoring choice you foisted upon her in a moment of weakness.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:31 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

And exactly how would you know, has pops been talking to you again ?
Old 08-16-2013, 12:34 PM
zorba1331
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was beginning my initial search I drove a new VW tdi (I currently own an '09 v6 touareg). I really like my touareg and considered just getting a newer version so I had a look.

It was nice to drive but it didn't get me excited about getting a new car so I moved on and started looking at the Cayenne. I don't recall being this excited for a car since I bought my first new car way back when.

If your wife likes how it looks and how it feels then it is a no brainier. Get it for her. Is there anything else she is saying that is making you question the purchase?
Old 08-16-2013, 12:38 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Divot
Have any of you retards ever been involved in a relationship with a woman?
Classic

Quick Reply: The Toureg Problem