Sponsored by:

Question on 80k mile service and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 01:56 PM
spotz300
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on 80k mile service and warranty

I have a 2006 Cayenne Turbo S and it has rolled over 80k. I called the dealership this morning to get a quote on the maintenance and nearly fell over @ $1,750. I have done some searching and I asked the service desk what was included. Basically it sounds like new plugs, new oil, and a checkup.

I have a few questions:
Am I getting completely raped for the 80k maintenance? I haven't called a bunch of them, but I am guessing the price is similar at all dealerships?

The truck is still under warranty, I am guessing I jeopardize the warranty if I take it to a non-dealership? If not, anyone have any good recommendations for service in the San Fernando valley area?

Thanks.

Chris.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:14 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by spotz300
The truck is still under warranty, I am guessing I jeopardize the warranty if I take it to a non-dealership?
You can take it anywhere you want or even do it yourself and it has no impact on the warranty. That is actually federal law.

Should your maintenance history ever be questioned for a warranty issue, you just have to be able to show that it was done at the correct time/milage and that the proper things were done.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:56 PM
gtmaster303
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never get any service done at the stealership.
They wanted to charge me $300 for an oil change. I can get oil changes done at least 4-5 times for that much. Synthetic Mobil 1 just like they use too
I only come in for warranty claims, otherwise nothing. I get everything done through my mechanic where I take all my cars. Rates and labor are very reasonable.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:02 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

im not so sure about plugs at 80k. I think its at 30k intervals, so if it was done at 60k, youre not due until 90k.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:31 PM
spotz300
6th Gear

Great info guys, thanks. Anyone have any good service people in the San Fernando Valley?
Old 08-14-2013, 05:21 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gtmaster303
Never get any service done at the stealership.
I agree with your general outrage (there is one in my area that wants over $600 for an oil change!), but it's unfortunately not cut and dried like that.

I know there have been out of warranty claims or items that PCNA didn't want to cover where dealers have gone to bat for the customer and got the problem solved when the customer had a long relationship of all the services and multiple cars all through the same dealer (in one 996 case I remember that amounted to a new engine that the owner didn't have to pay for). That's not to say they will absolutely fight PCNA for your benefit, but if all you do is warranty work with them you can bet they will be less inclined to help on those edge cases.

That said, I'm doing all the oil on my P!g and will tackle what I can of the 2 and 4 year schedules too. Just something to consider before writing a dealer off altogether (especially if they are actually a good one).
Old 08-14-2013, 06:23 PM
CS11
AutoX

Try Stuttcar service inc
Peter farekas
1320 e walnut st
Pasadena..

Will cost at most 1/3 the cost your were quoted..I like them
Old 08-14-2013, 06:49 PM
gtmaster303
Advanced

Originally Posted by gnat
I agree with your general outrage (there is one in my area that wants over $600 for an oil change!), but it's unfortunately not cut and dried like that.

I know there have been out of warranty claims or items that PCNA didn't want to cover where dealers have gone to bat for the customer and got the problem solved when the customer had a long relationship of all the services and multiple cars all through the same dealer (in one 996 case I remember that amounted to a new engine that the owner didn't have to pay for). That's not to say they will absolutely fight PCNA for your benefit, but if all you do is warranty work with them you can bet they will be less inclined to help on those edge cases.

That said, I'm doing all the oil on my P!g and will tackle what I can of the 2 and 4 year schedules too. Just something to consider before writing a dealer off altogether (especially if they are actually a good one).
Well they're already getting so much $$$$$ from you for all the other repairs you might have, so I guess it evens out. I'd rather take my chances though, because me being loyal to someone constantly taking mass amounts of money from me is hardly enjoyable or profitable. Even if you do end up getting a new engine.

By the way, I posted in the warranty repair section as well.
RUSTED lug nuts aren't covered under warranty.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:10 PM
sprinky911
Intermediate

just do it yourself- i have an 04 s and i've done the oil change(90.00$) and am doing the plugs and coils(400.00$) this weekend- many threads to show you how to do it all! save yourself a grand and enjoy the satisfaction of doing it yourself and enjoy some quality bonding time! while your down there taking oil plugs out " look it over", take your wheels off to rotate them and " look over "the brakes- there you go your 80,000 mile service!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:29 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gtmaster303

Well they're already getting so much $$$$$ from you for all the other repairs you might have, so I guess it evens out. I'd rather take my chances though, because me being loyal to someone constantly taking mass amounts of money from me is hardly enjoyable or profitable. Even if you do end up getting a new engine.

By the way, I posted in the warranty repair section as well.
RUSTED lug nuts aren't covered under warranty.
I agree which is why I treat the dealer like any other shop for stuff I can't do, just pointing out there are other considerations.

That's odd about the nuts. The first time they rusted and ruined the finish on the 996's wheels they replaced all the wheels even though there was unrelated damage. They rusted again after the warranty expired :-/
Old 08-14-2013, 09:04 PM
gtmaster303
Advanced

I agree which is why I treat the dealer like any other shop for stuff I can't do, just pointing out there are other considerations.

That's odd about the nuts. The first time they rusted and ruined the finish on the 996's wheels they replaced all the wheels even though there was unrelated damage. They rusted again after the warranty expired :-/
Just got a call from the dealer. My car has been finished for repairs (rear wiper cap) when I dropped it off earlier this morning. They ended up replacing the wheel nuts, including the wheel locks. My rep didn't tell me if they were covered or he just did me a favor. Either way, I'm not complaining or asking questions.
But if they tell you they're not covered I wouldn't take it without a fight, or at least a stern questioning
Old 08-15-2013, 11:00 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Originally Posted by kosmo
im not so sure about plugs at 80k. I think its at 30k intervals, so if it was done at 60k, youre not due until 90k.
Spark plugs are 40k mile intervals on the Turbo. Air filters are due at 80k as well.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:33 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
Spark plugs are 40k mile intervals on the Turbo. Air filters are due at 80k as well.
are you sure? I thought NA was 40k and Turbos at 30k.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:40 AM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
I was amazed when I first saw the 80K mile recommendation for the air filters. Just seem too long. I did mine when I bought my CTTS with 68K on the ticker, and the air filters I removed were amazing filthy. I just wonder how much air flow efficiency was down on them.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by sprinky911
just do it yourself- i have an 04 s and i've done the oil change(90.00$) and am doing the plugs and coils(400.00$) this weekend- many threads to show you how to do it all! save yourself a grand and enjoy the satisfaction of doing it yourself and enjoy some quality bonding time! while your down there taking oil plugs out " look it over", take your wheels off to rotate them and " look over "the brakes- there you go your 80,000 mile service!
I 2nd this. It's never been easier with YouTube and google. It is rewarding and reassuring to do this stuff yourself. Oil change and brakes, rotors are so simple

Quick Reply: Question on 80k mile service and warranty