Ordering 2013 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 02:29 AM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Ordering 2013 Diesel

Hello,

First time posting here, we are looking at placing an order for a 2013 Cayenne Diesel. The daily driver for our 100 miles round trip comute on the HOV is an ML 320 CDI (diesel) with air suspension. For weekends or when driving alone I have a Mini Cooper John Cooper Works.

We are expecting a baby in the next couple of weeks and the boss said that the Mini has to go since it cannot fit an infant car seat. Since I can't put an infant car seat in a 911 either I had to settle for a Cayenne (Panamera out of the question since it has only 4 seats and I need to seat 5 for when the parents are visiting from overseas).

Questions for the members:
1. Can I secure an infant seat to the middle seating position using the belt? This is the only "safe" seating position according to the boss? Any members with such experience?

2. For my own sanity and peace of mind I don't want to exceed $69,999 on MSRP thus I am checking boxes sparingly. Is the PASM worth it in the Diesel?

Here is my list of options, any feedback/critique is appreciated -- UPDATED per feedback received:

Convenience Package PU1- $5,640
Bose(R) Audio Package PU6 - $2,160
White exterior/ Black interior $0
Deletion of Model Designation 0NA - $0
Trailer hitch without tow ball 1D6 - $650
Reversing Camera with ParkAssist Front and Rear 7X8 - $1,750
Moonroof 3FE - included in package
Porsche Active Suspension Managmement (PASM) 1BZ - $1,990
20" RS Spyder Design Wheel CP5 - $3,510 replacing the 19" since the tire selection is terrible
Driver Memory Package - included in package
Electric Roll-up Sunblind for Rear Side Windows 3Y8 - $450
SportDesign Steering Wheel with Shifting Paddles 1ML - $0 - removed
Heated Front Seats 4A3 - included in package
SiriusXM(R) Satellite Radio Receiver QV4 - $750
8-way power seats Q1G - $0
Total Price* $72,875

TIA

--Sebis

Last edited by sebis; 01-28-2013 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Edited to update selection
Old 01-27-2013, 02:41 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I consider PASM a must on any cayenne.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:45 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i wouldnt say pasm is that noticeable.... if you go pasm, go the extra 2k and get the air susp.. that is definitely noticeable.. .

also i know the sunroof is part of the package, but outside the package you can add pano roof... and not spend too much more.. pano roof is amazing.. sunroof is not even worth it imo.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by sebis

2. For my own sanity and peace of mind I don't want to exceed $69,999 on MSRP thus I am checking boxes sparingly. Is the PASM worth it in the Diesel?

Here is my list of options, any feedback/critique is appreciated:

Convenience Package PU1- $5,640
White exterior/ Black interior $0
Reversing Camera with ParkAssist Front and Rear 7X8 - $1,750
Moonroof 3FE - included in package
Porsche Active Suspension Managmement (PASM) 1BZ - $1,990
19" Cayenne Turbo Wheel C8K - $1,950
Driver Memory Package - included in package
Electric Roll-up Sunblind for Rear Side Windows 3Y8 - $450
SportDesign Steering Wheel with Shifting Paddles 1ML - $0
Heated Front Seats 4A3 - included in package
SiriusXM(R) Satellite Radio Receiver QV4 - $750
Total Price* $69,255

TIA

--Sebis
The hydraulic suspension is good enough. The more i drive these two set ups I become less convinced pasm is a must have option. It's more of a novelty than something you will find yourself swapping between settings all of the time. There is little doubt the stock suspension is really well rounded. It rides really well yet handles nearly as good as pasms sports. With Pasm it's only when using the sports setting that you get a sense you've gained a touch over the hydraulic set up, although not by very much, and if money is an issue, the gain is really not enough to worry about. The biggest pain is probably looking at the blank space in the console more than anything see.

The hydraulic set up is better than Pasm's normal setting in terms of ride and handling. With Pasm while its novel to swap around you'll find you'll always wind up in the sports setting for the majority of your driving anyway. Comfort is probably not going to see much use at all in real world driving due to the general driving characteristics of this car and the setting being too floaty.

If $ are an issue don't get too worried about skipping the pasm.

I'm not familiar with what comes with the convenience package?

Anyway I'd shake the sports steering wheel for the multifunction. It's not fitting in a TDI and the convenience of the multifunction wheel is far too good to miss out on for the sake of aesthetics. I'd also blow those rear blinds. These are more trouble than what they are worth plus the windows are adequately tinted. The clock in the dash is a far better aesthetic along with the 14 way seats and panoramic roof. These features give the car a great feel inside. The other option that you should try and get is the bose. The stock sound is a deal breaker imo. Agree with rijowysocks that the stock roof is a waste of money and it does nothing for the internal or external aesthetics.

Edit. Re the Pasm again With the 19" rims you have your ride bases covered anyway. It'd only be if you had the 21" wheels that i'd even suggest pasm as being a worthy option, and only to have a back up against the lower profile slightly harsher riding tires....even so you still wind up in sports most the time.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:27 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 470 Posts

My CD is used for same reason, 70 miles round trip DD, I love it, perfect vehicle for this reason. A few recommendations

1. Lane change assist. Wonderful item in this vehicle.
2. Skip the sport wheel. As a DD it is great to have all functions for phone, radio in the wheel. While the Sport wheel was awesome in my 991, it would annoy me on my DD.
3. I don't know about the middle seat with rear facing seat, but it should fit. I have 3 kids, ages 1,3,5 and there seats all fit in the CD just as well as in my wife's 2013 GL 550; I was amazed at this, so I think you should have no problems. There is a lot of room in the back seats, just not much cargo space in the back.

Enjoy!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:26 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Technically all cars I know about (including) the Cayenne specifically tell you not to install car seats in the middle. Other than being tboned by a semi (which isn't going to care where you are sitting anyway) I think the way they are building the passenger compartments for crashes negates the majority of the concern. Our son rides outboard and I don't think twice about it.

Another thing to consider is that getting the kid in and out of the center seat will get old quick since you'll have to partially climb in to do it.

At least with the 993 forward Porsche does have a kit that allows you to install a child seat in the front. You are supposed to use their seats (which most people seem to dislike), but porscheshop.co.uk sells a buckle that let's you use any seat. I just installed this in her 996 and just in to get it to the dealer to have the option enabled in the computer.

I didn't get PASM on mine and have no complaints. If you aren't doing moderate or worse off road or a lot of towing/heavy loads, then I'm not convinced its worth the price.

As others have said, ditch the upgraded wheels if price is an issue. You can get aftermarket wheels much cheaper.

It didn't jump out on your list if it is there, but bi-xenons were a must for me. Literally a night and day difference.

I too got the sunblinds and am very happy with them.

Two other things to consider are that getting it built with the trailer hitch is cheaper than having it done later and you can not retrofit the roof rails. The difference in what you can put on the roof with the factory rails vs the aftermarket clamp ons is 100 lbs. while this sounds like a lot remember that your average cargo box is about 49 or 50 of that and the rest can add up quick.

My build was right about what yours cost before the 4% off. I'll try to remember to post the details when I'm on my computer so you have someone to compare against. Mine was built for many of the same reasons it sounds like yours is. It's my "daily" driver and is meant to haul the kid and dogs on long trips (it did great going to FL, but the roof box was a must).
Old 01-27-2013, 10:34 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Oh yeah since a kid is involved, get the ruffled leather seat centers or whatever it is called. The perforated leather default has got to be the dumbest idea in the world for a vehicle that is meant to haul kids and other dirty things. I am not happy with the perforation at all as small stuff gets in and doesn't come out. I dread the day a liquid that smells gets dropped on the seats
Old 01-27-2013, 11:06 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Oh yeah, Power Steering Plus is a REALLY nice feature. Once you get used to it it makes life really nice compared to other big vehicles. It moves around parking lots like a normal car. Really handy.

Here is the list from my sticker:
Cayenne Diesel 55,750
Dark Blue Metallic 790
Standard Black Interior 0
14-way seats w/Memory 0 (Premium package)
Light Comfort Package 250
Premium Package 7710
High Glass Black exterior 150
Delete model designation 0 (deletes the "diesel" on the fenders too, but I got it to remove Cayenne in script on the rear)
Trailer Hitch 650
Power steering plus 0 (Premium package)
Heated Multifunction steering wheel 0 (premium)
Moonroof 0 (premium)
Roof rails in black 1190
Electric sunblinds 450
Heated front seats 0 (premium)
Auto dimming mirrors 0 (premium)
Fire Extinguisher 140 (replaces the cubby under the passenger seat)
PCM 0 (premium)
Park assist front/rear 0 (premium)
Bi-Xenon headlights 0 (premium)

Total was $68055 and delivered I paid about $65300.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 AM
sebis
Racer

Thank you for your feedback, please keep it coming. I did remove the sport wheel, don't know what I was thinking .

To clarify, in the US convenience package includes:
-Bi-Xenon with PDLS
-Seat heating
-Auto-dimming mirrors
-Driver memory package
-Navigation
-Moonroof

I could care less about the heated seats (in Texas) and Moonroof but the Xenon + Nav + Auto dimming mirrors are a must and it is cheaper to get the package instead.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:15 AM
gjmattos
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My order is about $12000. more but I could easily chop $10000. off if that was a budget I had to stick to. I ordered Pano roof but I have it on my X5 and never use it. I could opt out of wheel arch extensions I added as well. I did go with no charge wheels as the price from the factory is just crazy. I also ordered the roof rails but never used them on any vehicle in my life. I have CP+ that have features that we will use. I did get PASM and Air because there will be some towing and our roads are not the best. I think reversing camera and park assist is a practical add on. I wanted to add adaptive cruise control because i used it on a 2005 Infinity my wife had but $2600. was a bit too much for that. I also agree kid seats should be on either end but to each their own. Ours will be in late March and I think the wife will love it. Your order looks good, hope you get one made on a Wednesday.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:34 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sebis
I could care less about the heated seats (in Texas) and Moonroof but the Xenon + Nav + Auto dimming mirrors are a must and it is cheaper to get the package instead.
It can still get cold in TX and the heated seats (since it goes up into the lumbar area) can be nice if you have a sore back.

I fell into the package approach and I wish I didn't. I specifically did not want Nav, the Moonroof, or park assist. At best I just don't like them and at worst (PA) they irritate me every time I drive the car (if I am in reverse why do I care what is in front of me?). I got the premium to get the PCM specifically for the iPod integration and I am severely disappointed in it as it is (to me coming from after market head units) about 10 years behind in it's functionality/features. Had I known ahead of time I would have had the car exactly as I wanted (even if it might be harder to sell in the 5-10 years I plan to keep it).

Another thing I noticed was your choice of steering wheel. It's of course personal preference, but it seems like i've read a few people complain that they should have gotten the multi-function wheel instead of the sport wheel and some have even gone as far as swapping them. The issue they seem to find is that they don't use the paddles enough and would use the steering wheel controls for the MFD/stereo much more regularly. Personally I use the wheel controls multiple times in a trip (i'm always flipping around in the MFD), but while I enjoy spirited driving I find Sport mode does well enough most of the time and almost never using the shift buttons on the wheel (I have, they work well, and they do make it that much more spirited, but it's not even a weekly thing for me).
Old 01-27-2013, 01:11 PM
sebis
Racer

Re: Bose, is the stock sound that bad? I don't mind paying top dollars for good sound system, had premium sounds on all cars in the past 13 years... But Bose... I have absolutely no respect for the brand. Don't get me wrong, I love music, just ordered a 7k worth of speakers and 2k Denon A100 anniversary edition for my media room... Just can't get past spending $1,600 on Bose.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:22 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

I've been on aftermarket gear for awhile and I'm satisfied with the base PCM sound. I'm sure the Bose and Burm systems sound better, but for the price difference I'm satisfied.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:09 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

I have no comment on the newer models but the Bose in my 04 has sloppy low range and overall is not that amazing.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:15 PM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

Echo value of tow hitch and roof rack. Not only practical with kid but also important for resale

Last edited by kocsis; 01-27-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Ordering 2013 Diesel