Sponsored by:

Ordering 2013 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013 | 01:26 AM
sebis
Racer

Made some changes based on feedback received, here is the current selection:

Convenience Package PU1- $5,640
Bose(R) Audio Package PU6 - $2,160 -- I will go to dealer to compare before making final decision on Bose
White exterior/ Black interior $0
Deletion of Model Designation 0NA - $0
Trailer hitch without tow ball 1D6 - $650 -- I am now sold on this
Reversing Camera with ParkAssist Front and Rear 7X8 - $1,750
Moonroof 3FE - included in package
Porsche Active Suspension Managmement (PASM) 1BZ - $1,990 -- taking the wife to the dealer to ride and compare, if she is fine with the standard suspension this may go
20" RS Spyder Design Wheel CP5 - $3,510 -- replacing the 19" since the tire selection is terrible and the upgrade to 19 was not worth it; priced some 20" at TireRack, the onces I liked are more expensive
Driver Memory Package - included in package
Electric Roll-up Sunblind for Rear Side Windows 3Y8 - $450
SportDesign Steering Wheel with Shifting Paddles 1ML - $0 - removed
Heated Front Seats 4A3 - included in package
SiriusXM(R) Satellite Radio Receiver QV4 - $750 -- included in package now
8-way power seats Q1G - $0
Total Price* $72,875

I guess there is no way to keep this under 70k without making compromises, I will try to negotiate a price reduction, we do have 3 dealers in Houston.
Old 01-28-2013 | 01:35 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by sebis
Made some changes based on feedback received, here is the current selection: I guess there is no way to keep this under 70k without making compromises, I will try to negotiate a price reduction, we do have 3 dealers in Houston.
Looks like 70 is going to prove a stretch to get what you will want...or wish you had. Sometimes the wallet has to be opened that little bit more to minimise the regrets. Maybe raise the cut-off to 75K?
Old 01-28-2013 | 05:08 AM
Joseph O'Reilly
Instructor

Originally Posted by endless_corners
I meant I got used to the aesthetics. Perhaps the ruffled seats are different on my '04.. neither my wife nor I noticed any discomfort. She says they are the most comfortable seats she has sat in of the car's we have had. They are 14 point btw.
Been back and forth 100 times on the seats for the Cayenne. Here's my take:

-had a 996 i bought used with raffled leather and standard (non sport) seats. they didn't feel "deep" enough, but unsure whether the raffles had anything to do with it. the leather wears all right but the car came with a stain similar to what someone on this thread described from leaving something wet on the leather.
-the perforations will collect debris, and they will get cream/lotion-based cleaning products caked inside them. There are no physics-defying or futuristic nano-zano products short of a good old fashioned seat cover that will prevent this. Liquid gets into holes. Debris smaller than holes go into holes. It's not up for debate. if you go for ventilated seats, the holes will be bigger, and the chance stuff gets into them goes up. plus the dealer says these seat surfaces wear even worse than the small-holed standard surfaces (which seems obvious to me).
-that said, the detail guy i use likes the perforation-look and says he will be able to keep them looking new for me. in the end, that is all that matters.
-in our market, the 14 way seats have useful thigh bolster length adjustments, memory, and a useful reversing-tilt feature on the side mirrors. I think they also get you a power adjustable steering wheel. my only issue with these seats is the optic- they look like last-generation mercedes E class or M class seats. the raffled leather makes them look more porsche-like, for better or worse, IMO.
-i find the 18 way sport seats very comfortable, love the way they look, and think they are reasonably priced over the 14 way seats, if those are also a full price option for you, rather than included in a package. they have perforations and no raffle option. downside with the 18 way is that they are hard to get out of as your thigh hits the side bolster, and this will wear the leather down over time. plus they may be uncomfortable for drivers with wide backs given the contouring. finally, they are bigger and take up more interior room, and can't fold down in back as much as the flatter standard seats.
-for me the choice is between 14 way with raffled leather (something less than 1% of buyers choose here) because i don't want mercedes-look seats, or the 18 way. if we were wider people, i would go with the former for sure, but i am leaning toward the 18 way, and hoping my detail guy can get all the crumbs, fanta, and what-not out of the little holes as needed. but whatever you choose, there is compromise involved. back to the drawing board, porsche!
Old 01-29-2013 | 11:48 PM
sebis
Racer

Anyone here with the standard 8-way seats and regrets not getting 14-way?
Old 01-30-2013 | 08:39 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Anyone here with the standard 8-way seats and regrets not getting 14-way?
Actually the reverse. I actually wanted the 18s, but that was one o the trimmings from my list.

On our road trip (21 hours in the car straight) we found the 14s mildly uncomfortable due to the leg supports. The issue is that the seat is soft under your butt, but very hard under your legs. The position of the supports made no difference to the issue. I think it was about hour 8 that we were talking about the problem.

That said, for normal day to day driving I have no complaints.
Old 01-30-2013 | 11:18 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

My bootay and legs start complaining by hour 8 in any seats.
Old 01-30-2013 | 08:27 PM
sebis
Racer

I think we are ready to place the order, final selection below:

Cayenne Diesel - $55,750
Convenience Package PU1- $5,640
Bose(R) Audio Package PU6 - $2,160
White exterior/ Black interior $0
Deletion of Model Designation 0NA - $0
Trailer hitch without tow ball 1D6 - $650
Reversing Camera with ParkAssist Front and Rear 7X8 - $1,750
Moonroof 3FE - included in package
Porsche Active Suspension Managmement (PASM) 1BZ - $1,990
20" RS Spyder Design Wheel CP5 - $3,510
Driver Memory Package - included in package
Heated Front Seats 4A3 - included in package
8-way power seats Q1G - $0
Total Price* $72,425

It appears that I negotiated almost 2k off MSRP, we'll see if they keep their end of the deal on Saturday when going for the paperwork.

The bad part (besides emptying our account ), all March allocations are locked, we'll get an April allocation which means mid-May delivery...

Thank you all for your feedback!

--Sebis
Old 01-30-2013 | 09:02 PM
speed21
Banned

Your order looks pretty good but i truly think you'll be better off in the long run with those 14 ways if you can swing it. I found the difference in comfort enough evidence to make that choice. The standard seats are good but they just lack something in the comfort. Also with the 14 ways you get all the memories and the power column etc. Leather definitely looks and feels nicer too....as do the seats with the extra swab length.

I note your missed the roof rails as well. The car looks much better with them plus on resale you may feel that.

On the inside the dash clock is a nice aesthetic feature as well and it would offset the fact the car doesn't have the panoramic roof. I'd be inclined to ditch the towing pack if you're not going to ever use it.

In fact id take the panoramic roof, 14 ways seats, dash clock and roof rails over the pasm any day. The car has to look and feel right from both inside and out.
Old 01-30-2013 | 10:12 PM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by speed21
Your order looks pretty good but i truly think you'll be better off in the long run with those 14 ways if you can swing it. I found the difference in comfort enough evidence to make that choice. The standard seats are good but they just lack something in the comfort. Also with the 14 ways you get all the memories and the power column etc. Leather definitely looks and feels nicer too....as do the seats with the extra swab length.
I was tempted but I will have to remove something from the order, the seats on the Mercedes are worse and after 6 years I am not sorry I didn't spend money to upgrade. Next time it may be a must thou, I am not getting any younger.

I note your missed the roof rails as well. The car looks much better with them plus on resale you may feel that.
I have them on my Mercedes and had an Audi avant in the past with roof rails, on a span of more than 10 years I never used it. I plan to keep this for at least 7 years so not concerned about resale.

On the inside the dash clock is a nice aesthetic feature as well and it would offset the fact the car doesn't have the panoramic roof. I'd be inclined to ditch the towing pack if you're not going to ever use it.
I was under the impression that the dash clock is standard in US, I did not see it included in any of the options. My wife ruled out the pano roof, she didn't like the idea of a glass roof on a car ... The towing package I may use, at least for a bike rack.

In fact id take the panoramic roof, 14 ways seats, dash clock and roof rails over the pasm any day. The car has to look and feel right from both inside and out.
Thank you again, I may still change my mind until Saturday
Old 01-30-2013 | 10:12 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

I'd skip the 20" wheels, apply the money towards premium plus -- then you get the 14 way seats, and so much more. My sales guy was adamant about the 14 way seats; that's what I ordered. My build date is a couple of weeks from now, so I have no experience with the 14 way, although my wife's 2012CV6 has the 8 way, and they are just OK -- kind of like a Lexus seat. The seats in my current 2004CT are far superior.

I think the 14 way versus the 8 way is misleading: I don't care about the extra adjustments, but they are different seats, with some saying that the 14 way is more comfortable. Maybe your dealer has a Cayenne or two in stock, so that you can do a seat test, or maybe someone here has already done it, and can offer their findings.

The $390 upgrade of the 18" wheel instead of the 20" wheel is something to be considered.

Congratulations on putting in the effort -- trying to get this thing right, it's not easy, but you have lots of good input / opinions. And it's all personal preference. Next step is the wait.
Old 01-30-2013 | 10:23 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I guess there is no way to keep this under 70k without making compromises, I will try to negotiate a price reduction, we do have 3 dealers in Houston.
Let me know how you make out on that front. I am currently working with Marco at North Houston, but I'm not ordering until late summer, so I can see how you make out.
Old 01-30-2013 | 10:24 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by philg3
I'd skip the 20" wheels, apply the money towards premium plus -- then you get the 14 way seats, and so much more. My sales guy was adamant about the 14 way seats; that's what I ordered. My build date is a couple of weeks from now, so I have no experience with the 14 way, although my wife's 2012CV6 has the 8 way, and they are just OK -- kind of like a Lexus seat. The seats in my current 2004CT are far superior.

I think the 14 way versus the 8 way is misleading: I don't care about the extra adjustments, but they are different seats, with some saying that the 14 way is more comfortable. Maybe your dealer has a Cayenne or two in stock, so that you can do a seat test, or maybe someone here has already done it, and can offer their findings.

The $390 upgrade of the 18" wheel instead of the 20" wheel is something to be considered.

Congratulations on putting in the effort -- trying to get this thing right, it's not easy, but you have lots of good input / opinions. And it's all personal preference. Next step is the wait.
The 14 ways are mandatory. It really is like a different seat. Plus, if you have any height at all, the extendable thigh bolster is a total godsend.
Old 01-30-2013 | 10:28 PM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by philg3

I am peeved a Porche pricing thou, I was going to get the Premium Package that include 14 way seats and park assit front and rear, BUT it doesn't include the camera so if I add the camera separately they still charge full price $1,750 for the option even thou it is only $655 for the difference. This may be the first and last Porche I order new, just because 2013 is the first year for Diesel and there are absolutely no used ones available.

As far as the wheels and suspension, my wife didn't like the standard suspension, this is her selection. The wheels are my selection , they are absolutely beautiful and there is no way I would get cheap Chinese knok-offs for a Porche like I did for my Mini.
Old 01-30-2013 | 10:33 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Its funny because the last thing i would care about is a camera.. (not saying other ppl might not think differently) I would rather have nice seats then a gadget.
Old 01-30-2013 | 10:39 PM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Its funny because the last thing i would care about is a camera.. (not saying other ppl might not think differently) I would rather have nice seats then a gadget.
My wife will drive this so actually was the first option selected

Quick Reply: Ordering 2013 Diesel