Sponsored by:

Performance tuning the US-spec diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 08:57 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Performance tuning the US-spec diesel

Just added a BlueSpark tuning box to my CD, and I'm here to tellya that it definitely works. The Pro + Boost model increases fuel pressure at the rail and increases turbo boost pressure. HP selectable up to 306, torque up to 509 ft-lbs. But not at the same time. There are technically an infinite number of settings on this, so it's gonna take some trial and error to settle on the one I like best. But none actually deliver the advertised 306/509 simultaneously. Note: the following numbers are mine. I extrapolated them from the documentation that came with the box. They are not manufacturer numbers.

Still, highest torque is delivered with what I've concluded is the 300/509 combo, highest hp with the the 306/483 combo. There are 9 of these hard settings (plus OFF), the lowest of which is 244/432. Each setting can be further adjusted with a second control. It's a rheostat, so there's no way to get actual numbers without a dyno. What it does however, give you an infinite adjustment of the hard setting increase within a 50% to 100% range. I can see how this would be valuable to fine tune the "feel" of a hard setting.

For example, I (naturally) went right to setting 8 (300/509). There was a great gush of torque through the first 3 gears. But in the next three gears I didn't get the gush until up higher in the RPM range. I guess that's where the HP boost kicks in. I didn't dare try 7th and 8th, cuz I was already over 100 mph in 6th. It's not turbo lag, but it felt like it. So if it's mismatched hp and torque curves, I can see where the 2nd control might be able to tweak them a little closer.

I've since backed off to the 288/496 setting @ 100%. Still plenty of power, and not as much of the "lag" sensation. But without a dyno, finding the sweet spot in this box is going to take a lot of time and fuel. Having said that, the option of adjusting is still much better than a "one size fits all" box - which - when you think of it - describes an ECU remap as well. If you don't like it, you've wasted your money. Unfortunately I've got knee replacement surgery coming up soon, and I may not get this done until sometime well into next year.

//greg//
Old 12-14-2012, 10:54 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the info Greg. I'll be interested to know how it impacts your MPG as well.

Speaking of boost, I noticed in my manual that the TT models apparently have an option for the boost pressure to show in the MFD, but our diesels don't. Anyone know if there is a way to get that enabled for us too?
Old 12-14-2012, 11:06 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Yeah, I'd have liked that too - considering the standard dash clock died at 480 miles. But it's part of the optional Sport/Chrono package, that wasn't available when our cars were built. From the Porsche website: Optional for all Cayenne models.* * Available for Cayenne GTS from 05/2012, and for all other models from 11/2012.

//greg//
Old 12-14-2012, 12:12 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Supposedly the chrono dash module is wiring harness compatible with the basic clock module. It's not clear if you need a flash to get it to work though. I have heard that some basic clocks are being replaced with the chrono clock, but if you wanted to do it yourself my dealer quotes about $500 for the module $650 for the compass module).

If getting the chrono module would add the boost reading I might have to trade my working clock for a bad one so I can get that swap (Steve already has dibs in my working clock).
Old 12-14-2012, 03:45 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder what people on tdiclub forums have done with that engine... Hmmm gonna have to check.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:22 PM
jester
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg,
Very cool update!!

We have a CD as well and have been thinking about this upgrade option often - esp seeing how much they do it in the Touareg world. A few questions:
- did you install this yourself or had someone do it? if yourself, how much effort was it?
- presumably no flashing warnings or other complaints from the engine computer?
- you mentioned the feeling of lag in the less optimal setting, in the final setup you have, does it feel any more laggy than stock?
- any diff in mpg?

And, lastly, I'm thrilled to see you're in the US, which means you have AdBlue. The other tuners I've seen don't speak to whether it works with the urea injection systems we have

On a totally different note, have you tried or considered B5 or B10 biodiesel? I don't see in the documentation anywhere if this is something we should even consider, but I think you (or someone else on rennlist) mentioned in the past that B5 might be ok.

Cheers,
Jester
991 platinum silver/black
CD midnight blue/grey
Old 12-14-2012, 07:29 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

The manual says no more than B5. This is common (or 10) for the MFG recommendations and most TDI and BMW owners report no issues at higher grades, but if you do it and the dealer finds out they could give you trouble.

I've read arguments on both sides of the fence about bio in newer engines and honestly have no idea who is correct.

As much as I love the idea of bio, I'll save it for an engine that either has a well proven record with it or is much cheaper to replace if something does go horribly wrong.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:49 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Yeah biodiesel will kill the dpf. I did notice that on tdiclub there is chatter of an dpf delete in the works. You could easily run b20 without a dpf. Above that you just need actual spec fuel to run high concentrations. Big problem in this country is the varying levels of quality with biodiesel.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:05 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Porsche is very clear about B5 or less, and I personally have no intention to use even Bzero. And yes, the BlueSpark is DPF-friendly. Zero complaints from the ECU, probably because this device is installed on the output side; between the ECU and the fuel rail/turbo. I've only had it in for about 50 miles, all local driving. So the MPG question will have to wait.

Installation was dead simple, took less than 5 minutes to locate installation points and plug in 4 connectors. That said, took me about a half hour to come up with a satisfactory way to route the excess BlueSpark cabling.

As I said, it may be well into January or later before I'm back on my feet long enough to come up with a setting combination that I'm comfortable with. But the manufacturer said he was going see what he could do about sending me copies of the test curves for this US-spec version of the Cayenne diesel. If/when that happens, I'll ask permission to post them here. That way he won't have to end fulfilling the same request from subsequent US customers.

//greg//
Old 12-14-2012, 10:43 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Thanks for the info!!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:55 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good gains. I am trying to decide between the Bluespark and the CRTD2 http://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/car_and_..._kw_P1519.html They have similar numbers, cost about the same, and look like the same unit but with different labels. The only difference is your four connections vs the 3 for the CRTD2 since I assume you got the model with the boost controller.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:39 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by TAch Miami
The only difference is your four connections vs the 3 for the CRTD2 since I assume you got the model with the boost controller.
Two Y-cables actually, four connectors total. One male/female pair for the fuel rail, one male/female pair for the boost sensor. So yes, the CRTD2 would be more like the BlueSpark Pro. Mine's the Pro+Boost. Is the CRTD2 user adjustable?

//greg//
Old 12-15-2012, 06:13 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looking at the unit again, the CRTD2 has the same cables and some dip switches to select one of the 32 fuel maps.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:43 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Update: BlueSpark also claims modest fuel economy improvements along with torque and horsepower boosts; +5% to +15%, depending on settings selected. I initially took the claims with a grain of salt. I believe I installed the box at about 1200 miles, and I'm up to 2800 miles now. Highway mileage has markedly increased to the point where I'm consistently getting over 35 mpg highway now. Whereas the overall mpg started out ~24 mpg, it's now climbed to over 28 and climbing. And that's on the crap 40 cetane diesel fuel they sell around here. This tuning box must be even more impressive over in Europe, where owners have the option of buying up to 60 cetane fuel.

//greg//
Old 02-12-2013, 03:33 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Yeah a light "tune" on modern turbo diesels is basically free power - such a no brainer.

Quick Reply: Performance tuning the US-spec diesel