Performance tuning the US-spec diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by grohgreg
Update: BlueSpark also claims modest fuel economy improvements along with torque and horsepower boosts; +5% to +15%, depending on settings selected. I initially took the claims with a grain of salt. I believe I installed the box at about 1200 miles, and I'm up to 2800 miles now. Highway mileage has markedly increased to the point where I'm consistently getting over 35 mpg highway now. Whereas the overall mpg started out ~24 mpg, it's now climbed to over 28 and climbing. And that's on the crap 40 cetane diesel fuel they sell around here. This tuning box must be even more impressive over in Europe, where owners have the option of buying up to 60 cetane fuel.

//greg//
Greg:

Where did you order your unit from?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:46 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jester
- did you install this yourself or had someone do it? if yourself, how much effort was it?
- presumably no flashing warnings or other complaints from the engine computer?
- you mentioned the feeling of lag in the less optimal setting, in the final setup you have, does it feel any more laggy than stock?
- any diff in mpg?
Sorry I missed your questions first time around Jester.
*Yes, the actual installation was a five minute job in the driveway. Truly a plug-n-play operation. But I took an extra 15 minutes trying to find a way to route the cabling so as to hide the excess.
*Zero complaints from the car computer in 3 months.
*There is a selection of 8 settings, plus off. The first one I tried was like a bull outa the chute up to about 60 or so, then a slight drop off in power before it picked up again. Second setting is fine, and that's where I kept it. Don't even know what the other six feel like.
*Fuel economy improved too. I'm regularly getting over 35 mpg highway now, and the overall has climbed from 24 to 28

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Greg: Where did you order your unit from?
Direct from BlueSpark in England via their website. Delivery was speedy to, considering there's an ocean in between.

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 02-13-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:11 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just saying... Dpf delete + adblue delete + remap + secondary cat delete = a *ahem* great um track car.
http://www.ecuflash.co/adblue-removal/
Old 03-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Cspurlock
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grohgreg
Direct from BlueSpark in England via their website. Delivery was speedy to, considering there's an ocean in between.

//greg//
Greg,
I was wonderin what made you choose th pro+ model over the CR tech 2?

Would be interested in hearing your point of view on both.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2013, 01:35 PM
grohgreg
Pro

First 3 devices connect to the common rail only. The CR2 has only 2 map settings. The Pro+Boost connects to fuel rail and turbo-charger, and has 9 map settings
Old 03-18-2013, 11:24 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was waiting for the Diesel tuning topic to come up.

I have a Sprinter based RV with the Diesel Power Module. It is a 2 channel module that sits on the fuel rail and the turbo boost. It pretty much evens things out. It doesn't overboost or anything else. I know there is EGR removal and chips and tuning you can do, but your run the risk of blowing something up.

Jim
Old 03-28-2013, 03:40 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

My Bluespark is making it's way across the pond now!

Greg, is there anything abnormal (e.g. other than standard metric sockets) needed to get the plastic cover off the engine? I haven't looked closely at mine yet as I've only had the hood up twice so far (jumping the 911 and using the tire pump to over inflate for AutoX).

Looking at your last post it looks like the second map is your happy spot so far. Have you played with the fine tuning yet at all?
Old 03-28-2013, 05:44 PM
grohgreg
Pro

No tools, it just lifts off; cover grommets fit over engine pegs. But be careful, the grommet brackets are of a poor design. First time I pulled my cover, I lost a rubber grommet. It simply disappeared into that amazing display of plumbing on top of the engine. I have a new supply of replacements, but now lift the cover more carefully so I don't have to use any of them.

Had a knee replacement, and now the wife's got health problems. Haven't turned my attention back to the BlueSpark since we last spoke. I now have iODB2 installed, so it will make the job of evaluating the various settings a little less daunting.

Speaking of, I was reflecting on the first time I stomped on the accelerator after installing BlueSpark. You probably recall my describing the sensation of turbo lag between gears. After reflecting on it a bit, I realized I accelerated with my foot on the floor as I would have with a gasoline engine. Didn't dawn on me that the torque on this engine falls off long before the HP peak is reached. I'm thinking what I was experiencing was the delay between max torque and max HP before the tranny grabbed the next gear. Given that torque falls off after 2750 rpm, I think next time I'll start out in Sport Mode - rev to about 1700 with my foot on the brake - release the brake and floor it - then use the steering wheel "paddles" to upshift just before the tach hits 2800 in each gear.

//greg//

Quick Reply: Performance tuning the US-spec diesel