Sponsored by:

When is the facelift due?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:49 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
I'm constantly amazed that Porsche enthusiast seem to the Porsche the company is also just an enthusiast. They're not, they're a business! They won't go out and spend millions of dollars to facelift something unless there is potential profit at the end of it. Otherwise they would go out of business.

Its pretty obvious when you look at the first generation Cayenne and the production numbers. There are almost 2x as many 2004 Cayennes than there are 2005 and 2006 COMBINED! (which is also the reason people get they perception that the 04 is less reliable since just by the shear numbers shops see them 2x as often)

Sales dropped huge from 04 to 05 and then so bad in 06 that Porache took all of 07 off to facelift the model and try to stimulate interest with a GTS option. They tried to stimulate sales in 06 with a Turbo S and a "Titainium Edition" S. but it wasn't enough.

I don't think the GTS and tts attract a different buyer at all. It's just an icing on the cake to try to make an already interested buyer stick by giving them more, newer, exclusive options. What it does is take a buyer that might have bought a 2-3 year old Turbo and give them a reason to spend on a new model. The buyer that wants a 500hp Porsche SUV is not a totally different buyer that wants a 550hp Porshe SUV or a 405 HP version for a little less money.
Agree with you the 955 sales lagged, hence the refresh and the lack of an 07MY. Just was asking if you have any real evidence of the 958 slowing down in sales or if it's your opinion because the CTTS and GTS have arrived.

I guess we'll agree to disagree on the different buyers. The GTS starts at close to $17k more than an S, and the TTS is almost $36k more than a TT. I can only speak for myself, but those are fairly significant deltas for a car, esp when you start adding in options. If it's the same buyer, why offer the choices in the first place?

and lighten up.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
Wtf are you talking about?

The Cherokee and the Grand Cherokee are completely different models. Their existance overlapped and the Cherokee was replaced by a new model called the Liberty.

This doesn't prove anything other than their refresh didn't stimulate enough sales.

Right like the E36 M3 that lasted 9 years with no refresh or the e46 M3 that lasted 6 years with no refresh. or the 6 year run of the z3 with no facelift.

Doesn't sound like any planned refreshes in there or seven year product cycles. Sounds like they Leo them as long as they an make money on the model.

Um....duh, it's to stimulate sales. But if a model is kicked *** you push off the refresh as long as you can. Only an idiot would make changes to something that is selling well and take the risk of it not being popular after the change. You only take those risks once the data at starts to show a decline in the current product.

Now your just talking jibberish. You have to pay designers, engineers, testers, marketing people, website people, printers, sales trainers, machinists, etc etc. it's probably 10 million bucks in payroll alone.

Lets look at what changed in the last Porsche Cayenne facelift.

-DFI MOTOR with more displacement. (Would that the below the headlights for you)
-PASM
-All new brakes for all modles
-headlights
-tail lights
-front fenders
-front bumper
-front bumper structural components.
-rear bumper
-new upholstery options
-new nav options
-new wheels
-new suspension control modules, new spring rates for GTS
-new rear spoilers
-new mirrors
-special body cladding.
-6 speed manual in the GTS
-different axle gear ratios were used.

Again, that is probably 10 million in just wages for all the people that took just to design, test and build the face lifted parts for production.
I'm not going to argue with you anymore. Apparently you want to believe what you want to believe, and that's fine.

By the way, the E46 had an LCI refresh. Believe the E36 may have, but not 100% sure.

And you're wrong about the Grand Cherokee. Go do some research and figure out what was supposed to happen.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:07 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure we are getting the "butt job" we wanted here... Although there is a bunch of fake cladding on that rear shot.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/03/2...with-facelift/

Old 04-03-2013, 05:16 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks like a mule using mostly current hardware
Old 04-03-2013, 05:18 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

If its a mule then why all the fake cladding?
Old 04-03-2013, 05:21 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Go back in history and look at what they have done over the years, until some of the cladding comes off and you get some sense of scale its pretty meaningless, I would have thought 2015 would be a decent change but maybe its just an adjust, ala 957
Old 04-03-2013, 05:45 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Actually those rear lights might be really different.. Because that whole rear is camo'd.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:12 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Not sure we are getting the "butt job" we wanted here... Although there is a bunch of fake cladding on that rear shot.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/03/2...with-facelift/

i assume testing the Turbo 6 in that car.. the official release is june 2014 to then order as 2015 model year, the macan is set for may to get some sales prior to it's big brothers update.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:32 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go back in history and look at what they have done over the years, until some of the cladding comes off and you get some sense of scale its pretty meaningless
Like the 958 spy shots, where the cladding made it look like a 957!

Old 04-03-2013, 11:53 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess they won't be calling it a 959.....maybe a 960?
Old 04-04-2013, 02:30 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I' ll take a 959

Can ride with Guy if he repaired the one he trashed, and see if uncle Bill wants to join !
Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mudman2
Go back in history and look at what they have done over the years, until some of the cladding comes off and you get some sense of scale its pretty meaningless, I would have thought 2015 would be a decent change but maybe its just an adjust, ala 957
No, it's just an adjust. Been detailed already...basically new headlights and taillights, and refreshed grille. Pretty much what they've done to the Panny.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i assume testing the Turbo 6 in that car.. the official release is june 2014 to then order as 2015 model year, the macan is set for may to get some sales prior to it's big brothers update.
Yeah, if you want a V8, your only choice is likely going to be the GTS or TT....I'm sure the S will adpot the TTV6 as the Panny S has.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:15 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Actually those rear lights might be really different.. Because that whole rear is camo'd.
I agree. Look at the Panny refresh - rear fascia changed quite a bit (number plate moved, etc.) The shape of the rear lights likely has changed quite a bit.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 733 Likes on 507 Posts

test (sorry)

Quick Reply: When is the facelift due?