Sponsored by:

seat comfort

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 07:44 PM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts
Default seat comfort

My wife and I test drove a Cayenne S yesterday. She found the 14 position seats too hard - the 8 position seat in a somewhat older demo (with about 10k miles) seemed fine. Is this (as I suspect) just the result of breaking in leather? Or are the perforated 14-position seats (with lumbar) just too hard? Do the ruffled leather seats or the natural leather seats softer? Your experience would be welcome.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:48 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife hates the seats.... and the PIG.. .and the Targa... I think ALL Porsche seats tend to be harder.. although I have never sat in a Panamera for more than a few minutes to know if that leather "be different".
Old 10-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Jon H
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 86 Posts

I found the 8 way seats more comfortable (also) and ordered my CD with them.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:20 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

In our 01 996 with the normal seats the ruffled leather is only an aesthetic difference.

I would expect the difference you feel has more to do with the extra support options (thigh support on the bottom and lumbar in the back) than the leather choice.

I'm not sure there is a plushy seat option in any Porsche (ever) since they are meant to support you for spirited driving.

Did you spend much time playing with the adjustments on the 14 way seats? It may be that you just need to get them tweaked just right in all the various directions for it to be comfortable.

My wife and I find the more supportive seats of the 996 and her BMW more comfortable for long trips than softer seats like my Escape or the Jag I used to have, but that's us. That said though, the BMW is miserable for me if I can't get it adjusted right.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:01 PM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive got the 18 way in the 13CTT and they are just about the most comfortable seat Ive had in any of my prior cars.....and there have been more than a few.
I really love the seats, they are extremely supportive and obviously adjustable in so many ways
Old 10-17-2012, 10:03 AM
LaicepsYdobon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the 14 way seats and they do soften up a little bit after a few weeks. But I agree with RAKLAW; the 18's are the way to go. Those seats hug and caress you when you get it and don't let go. Looking back my only regret is that I didn't order the 18's with my Cayenne.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

In my experience Porsche seats, like those in other German cars, are in general firm, especially when new. I have the 14 way seats and find them really comfortable (especially with seat ventilation) for long trips with all of the adjustability I need. They offer meaningful added adjustments over the 8 way seats. The only additional adjustments that the 18 way seats have is for the higher back and cushion side bolsters.

While I like high bolsters in a sports car (I have sport buckets in my Carrera), IMO they can be a bit of a hassle in a daily use car like an SUV. You can search the archives, but there have been complaints in this forum from a few owners about the high bolsters being subject to premature wear.

I've never found the 14 way seats deficient in keeping me in place as I fling my SUV through the corners with my wife, Chocolate lab, and luggage hanging on for dear life. Just kidding , and just my $.02.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:34 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 8-way, great seats IMHO once you get the adjustments just right. Most people who come for a ride, think that they are optional sports seats!

+1 on the comments that firm supportive seats are great for long trips, vs soft cushy ones!

I have an average/stocky build, and these over-bolstered (SUV speaking) seats fit me like a glove. No way your going to slide around, no matter how crazy you drive! When I go back to my BMW, I feel like I am sitting on a flat bench!

I do find I crush the bolster every time I hop into the car, hopefully they hold up for the 8 years or so I keep my cars!

Quick Reply: seat comfort