Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I get a discount on new diesel Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 02:06 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you need one more nudge, may I suggest you watch this Dutch comparison test of the new Diesel Cayenne vs ML. Very frank, and I think he nails it dead on. Just hit the red cc button for the english translations. Unfortunately you need to resort to foreign languages for the Diesel scoop

The ML wins out in many areas and seems to be in the lead, but such quotes say it all:

"I still say: looking for a good drivers car? Don't buy an SUV. Do you still want a well driving SUV? Buy a Porsche Cayenne."

"Which one gives you more for your Money? ... If that 100,000 Euros was mine, I would take the Cayenne. But we can't deny the ML is the best all round SUV of these two."

And the disgusted look on his face as he describes the ML steering precision, is priceless!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 05:32 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah its too bad they ditched the low range transfer case in this generation cayenne.. but i guess the weight savings are nice.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:32 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I put together a purchase on this past weekend. I'll update the other post I started on "what options" with the build. Bottom line was right now the demand is good so the price give is minimal. I got 3% off bottom line (base+options). List on base versus invoice is 10% and 15% on options. I priced out at $79K MSRP. Due to present demand I think 5% in this area (NorCal) is pretty strong deal for buyer. 3% should be available, and no need to accept full MSRP, IMO.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:58 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
I dont know what you mean.

I am a "Porsche" guy and I like Porsche and the Porsche style and a lot of that . But I am not blind to Porsche as this is much more of a truck than a sports car. Mercedes was building trucks and diesels before there ever was a Porsche. I have used their big trucks all over the world in tough conditions too.

So the Porsche is first, and I like Porsche, and the all guys and help here. For $5,000 I would not bat an eye, for $10,000 I would smile and just go with it, but at $20,000 and knowing Mercedes trucks it deserves some serious consideration from me.

As I said to someone else, I saw a nice CPO Cayman S for $35 at the dealer. I could almost order her ML and have a Cayman S back up car LOL LOL!

Ouch on your prices - Thanks though.
I'm in the same boat and now likely to purchase either a ML350 BlueTec or ML550 AND be able to add a CPO Cayman S by Spring 2013 to keep the SC company!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:42 AM
blazing928
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oz diesel is about $95K which ends up at $128K on road [rego & taxes]
The base price includes NAV with traffic -cd changer is NLA- , PCM, rear seat air bags, electric tail gate, Bluetooth & the universal audio stuff, f&R park assist, privacy glasss, driver memory, 3 spoke multi function wheel, 100lt tank
We added another $24k of extras and then got $10K discount.
I just kept asking for a nice round figure....remind them of the world GFC and that europe is ****ting itself. Don't know if it worked, but we were also able to wait for a demo, so time was on our side.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:54 AM
silverbullet69
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know what you mean.

I am a "Porsche" guy and I like Porsche and the Porsche style and a lot of that . But I am not blind to Porsche as this is much more of a truck than a sports car. Mercedes was building trucks and diesels before there ever was a Porsche. I have used their big trucks all over the world in tough conditions too.

So the Porsche is first, and I like Porsche, and the all guys and help here. For $5,000 I would not bat an eye, for $10,000 I would smile and just go with it, but at $20,000 and knowing Mercedes trucks it deserves some serious consideration from me.

As I said to someone else, I saw a nice CPO Cayman S for $35 at the dealer. I could almost order her ML and have a Cayman S back up car LOL LOL!

Ouch on your prices - Thanks though.

Not trying to be rude but i am sure merc has changed since your driving of the big trucks merc produced and not the same as an SUV, but you make a valid point RE a cayman S what about a CPO Cayenne and a CPO Caymen S you wouldnt take as big a hit on the write down val. on a 12-18mth vehicle but than no diesel opt.

I wish you luck
Old 08-21-2012, 12:57 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I dont really drive the rigs Bullet, but as the engineer back in the day, or CMFIC , I have garnered a few drives through the dunes or gnarlies just to see what the Paris Dakar (my old days DREAM) would be like.

I am not equating the two exactly between the heavy trucks MB diesels we buy - I am just saying that they have absolutely do have diesel and truck experience out the wazoo . Daimler owns Freightliner and Western trucks as well as Detroit Diesel so they have their hand in trucks and diesels every day.

Porsche has sports car and racing experience . So that is more along the line of what I expect here. Porsche = more sport, more fun (for me and you) and MB = more utility.

Oddly enough I did not drive either one. They only had the Cayenne diesel available for a little while and she ran over and drove it.

It was raining like the devil when she drove the MB so the dealer looked suspicious when I said I would go out and be back in 30 minutes LOL LOL - - knowing I drove in a 4WD truck. Yeah baby, I will test out your little truck here for you ! It might be a little muddy when I bring it back in.

I have to keep in mind, as much as I prefer Porsche, that this SUV is for her. I wont drive it twice a year, unless..... it has to go to the Shop . Grrrr.

One of my buddies has a Cayenne GTS and his wife hates to drive or ride in it. Hard and bumpy for her. Hmmmmm ..... maybe I might be on to something after all.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:07 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Ok NC back on topic here ......

What did YOU decide ? And how did the negotiations go ? Do I need to come over there and talk to them too yet ??
Old 08-21-2012, 01:10 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It was raining like the devil when she drove the MB so the dealer looked suspicious when I said I would go out and be back in 30 minutes LOL LOL - - knowing I drove in a 4WD truck. Yeah baby, I will test out your little truck here for you ! It might be a little muddy when I bring it back in.
So how did that particular test go? You get to use the low range?
Old 08-21-2012, 03:27 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Isn't the reliability of the ML a huge issue? Wherever I look I hear about MLs having problems. I've also never met an ML owner who said they liked their car after a few years.

The ML is one of the few cars I didn't consider in this buying process. I even looked at the Jeep GC (along with Audi, MB GL, and other less expensive brands).

I ended up getting close to 5% off in the northeast. Second time buyer from my dealership so they know I'll be back. I have a newborn, so my Cayman S will need to turn into a 911 in the near future!
Old 08-21-2012, 03:43 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

^^^^

It is possible alex. The only two car brands I personally like are Infiniti and Porsche ( well maybe a Shelby Mustang LOL) and then Powerstroke Ford diesel trucks.

If you scroll down you can see I went through the whole list Rover, Ford, MB, etc looking for her car this time because she did not want a Powerstroke or a Shelby, wives for you , and did not like the looks of the big Infiniti.

One of my field supervisors had one for his wife, the MB that is , and loved it right up until he had to replace the air suspension out of warranty. I would buy the super duper extended warranty for either of these . He got the Infiniti next LOL.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:46 PM
grohgreg
Pro

I passed on both the ML BlueTec and X5d, but not because of reported reliability issues. They are both much taller, plus they both lost to the Cayenne diesel in mpg and towing capacity.

//greg//
Old 08-21-2012, 11:24 PM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Ok NC back on topic here ......

What did YOU decide ? And how did the negotiations go ? Do I need to come over there and talk to them too yet ??
I bought it.. They made me an offer that was too good to turn down. I went to drive the car (only), but I must have had a purchase in mind since I carried the title to my truck.. I'd call that an 'indicator'.

The test drive went very well. After driving a Touareg Exec I knew what to expect power wise, but the overall driving experience was better than I expected. After the demo, I gave them the keys to my truck, which they promptly went over with a fine-tooth comb, then we sat down to talk numbers. Their initial offer was what I expected, so I told them I'd sell the truck myself and get back with them. After some back-and-forth negotiations, they ended up giving me what I would have taken for the truck on a straight sale, which was many thousands more than trade-in value, so I pulled the trigger.

The car is spectacular. It's not a GTS or a Turbo, but it's going to be a great daily driver. It's 'Classic Silver Metallic' with black interior, it has 14-way power seats, convenience package, Bose audio, exterior high gloss black accents, a trailer hitch, vented front seats, and the reverse camera & park assist. The car has 18" Cayenne S III wheels, which I'll likely replace with something a bit more appealing as time goes by. MSRP was $70,790 - more than I originally intented to spend, but the car has all the options I wanted, and none that I wouldn't have ordered.

All in all, it was a good purchase experience, and I'm a happy guy.

If you're in the central or eastern part of NC, you might give Leith Porsche a chance to put you in a new or used Porsche. This is my second new one in a little over two years (I still have, and will keep the 2010 911 Carrera). I've never been treated better.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:24 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Good on you man and enjoy that new ride.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:07 AM
silverbullet69
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a great experience, Nice choice

Quick Reply: Can I get a discount on new diesel Cayenne?