Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I get a discount on new diesel Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 11:34 PM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can I get a discount on new diesel Cayenne?

Gents, Seriously contemplating trading my 2010 Chevy 2500 HD crew cab pick up for a diesel Cayenne. I'm going to drive one tomorrow. Of course I realize that I'd be better off selling my truck myself, which I am prepared to do once they tell me how bad they're going to kill me on a trade.

Is it too early to expect a (decent) discount from my selling dealer? I previously purchased a new '10 911 from the same dealer.

I'm thinking 8% off sticker. Am I expecting too much since the diesels are just arriving on our shores?

Thanks for any input you might have.

Last edited by NC 997; 08-20-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:51 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,332 Likes on 1,971 Posts

5% is all the dealer I spoke to would move. Too new, too few at this point.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:35 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Heck guys I want to order mine for my wife, with Euro delivery, and it is an assurred deal for them.

My offerred discount is Zero point 0 per cent . Zippo nada nothing.

That is what really put the Mercedes in play here. We have looked at the range of SUV's for the first time ever, but the Porsche really was the first choice. That was confirmed once we looked at the Range Rover and ruled that out for her.

The Mercedes dealer did not get our last business 2 years ago and is putting their best foot forward all the way around for a ML 350 Blue Tec. He is working out a discount, plus throwing in the Mercedes scheduled A and B services for as long as I own the car, which is at least $4-5K or more, conceirge service with them picking up and returning the car to you at the services, free loaners, ... so it separated from the Cayenne by about $20,000 less for the same options. The euro delivery is not in that as of course that is my decision.

I like my Porsche dealer and all of that but he is 40 miles away one way and the MB dealer is 5 miles away. 5% on this car is significant enough that I better call a few dealers.

$1000 would not make me change from my Porsche dealer, but $5000, or the $20,000 in the case of the MB is enough.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Canada and just took delivery of my new Diesel. Got 2% and they claimed that was only because thry wanted to bring me into the Porsche family (my first P car). I am also told that people are loving these cars ( I certainly love mine) and that the lineup is forming.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:38 AM
silverbullet69
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean but it is still a MERC.... (sorry merc owners out there but i am sure you see my point)

It is more $ but it would be worth the pain IMO.

Here in Oz a new porcshe turbo with a few options runs around $250k a diesel is around $160k and our dollar buys 4% more than your USD. so dont feel to bad paying MSRP.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:08 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Heck guys I want to order mine for my wife, with Euro delivery, and it is an assurred deal for them.

My offerred discount is Zero point 0 per cent . Zippo nada nothing.

That is what really put the Mercedes in play here. We have looked at the range of SUV's for the first time ever, but the Porsche really was the first choice. That was confirmed once we looked at the Range Rover and ruled that out for her.

The Mercedes dealer did not get our last business 2 years ago and is putting their best foot forward all the way around for a ML 350 Blue Tec. He is working out a discount, plus throwing in the Mercedes scheduled A and B services for as long as I own the car, which is at least $4-5K or more, conceirge service with them picking up and returning the car to you at the services, free loaners, ... so it separated from the Cayenne by about $20,000 less for the same options. The euro delivery is not in that as of course that is my decision.

I like my Porsche dealer and all of that but he is 40 miles away one way and the MB dealer is 5 miles away. 5% on this car is significant enough that I better call a few dealers.

$1000 would not make me change from my Porsche dealer, but $5000, or the $20,000 in the case of the MB is enough.
Tex, I'm in the same boat as you. The price delta between the Cayenne vs. ML Bluetec and X5 diesel is significant. I can easily get 14% off msrp with X5 and about 11% off MLBluetec. Building all three the way I want puts the Cayenne at a 5 digit premium because it's options are so expensive compared to others.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:21 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Mine totaled a MSRP of $70,505 last May, from which I whittled out a $69,000 purchase price. I expect to take delivery this week

//greg//
Old 08-20-2012, 11:48 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by grohgreg
Mine totaled a MSRP of $70,505 last May, from which I whittled out a $69,000 purchase price. I expect to take delivery this week

//greg//
The Cayenne we built with options would have priced out at $69,500 so the 5% discount offered (which based on what everyone else is saying is pretty good) would have put us at $66,000 plus tax and license.

BTW, MB is blowing out their GL models, bluetec, 450 and 550 models. If we were looking for a 3rd row SUV, it would have been tempting with $13,000 off (18% off msrp) a well optioned model with 2 year lease and 18 month opt out with no penalty....
Old 08-20-2012, 11:53 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Texas, if every dollar counts (and why shouldn't it), you can try re-negociating the Cayenne without ED. The dealer has to pay $3000 for ED (although they get allocated an extra car), so if you are bargaining under MSRP it seems the cost basically comes out of your discounts from threads I have read elsewhere.

I read from some angry "New Boxster" buyers in another forum, that they negotiated good discounts on that brand new in demand model ... but then were refused either ED, or the discounts. I.e. they could not get both.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:20 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silverbullet69
I know what you mean but it is still a MERC.... (sorry merc owners out there but i am sure you see my point)

It is more $ but it would be worth the pain IMO.

Here in Oz a new porcshe turbo with a few options runs around $250k a diesel is around $160k and our dollar buys 4% more than your USD. so dont feel to bad paying MSRP.
I dont know what you mean.

I am a "Porsche" guy and I like Porsche and the Porsche style and a lot of that . But I am not blind to Porsche as this is much more of a truck than a sports car. Mercedes was building trucks and diesels before there ever was a Porsche. I have used their big trucks all over the world in tough conditions too.

So the Porsche is first, and I like Porsche, and the all guys and help here. For $5,000 I would not bat an eye, for $10,000 I would smile and just go with it, but at $20,000 and knowing Mercedes trucks it deserves some serious consideration from me.

As I said to someone else, I saw a nice CPO Cayman S for $35 at the dealer. I could almost order her ML and have a Cayman S back up car LOL LOL!

Ouch on your prices - Thanks though.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:33 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
The Cayenne we built with options would have priced out at $69,500 so the 5% discount offered (which based on what everyone else is saying is pretty good) would have put us at $66,000 plus tax and license.

BTW, MB is blowing out their GL models, bluetec, 450 and 550 models. If we were looking for a 3rd row SUV, it would have been tempting with $13,000 off (18% off msrp) a well optioned model with 2 year lease and 18 month opt out with no penalty....
We would be ordering in either the Cayenne or the ML .

Ours is about $80 vs the ML diesel at $64. Then as I put above, the MB dealer put ALL the scheduled maintaince in it. I told him it could be 4 or 5 years and he said Ok, even if it is 10 years we will cover the A and B MB services.

So I will get $3-4 or so off at least, say the service is worth $4 as it is on the MB option list. That is getting near $25,000. I have to decide if I really like a Porsche high depreciation SUV truck that much, and it has to provide something else too, like driving fun From here in Texas to the farm in Nebraska, there is at least 2 turns. LOL LOL.

As I said above I can get a darn nice CPO Cayman S for $35 for a back up Porsche .
Old 08-20-2012, 12:35 PM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

A little background.. I initially looked at a VW Touareg TDI. The dealer had a Exec model that the owner had driven for a few months, with 4600 miles on the odo. I drove it, and I was very impressed with the power. Yet, even with 4600 miles, they wanted full MSRP for the car, and their offer on my truck was insulting. I walked.

On the way home I stopped by my Porsche dealer (it's less than a quarter mile away) and mentioned the story to my sales guru. He said, 'why don't you buy a Cayenne?' That's when I found out that Porsche was going to begin importing diesels into the U.S.

I need the diesel because I have a small enclosed trailer that I occasionally put a couple m/c's in and head to the mountains. The gas V6 simply doesn't have the torque that the diesel does.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne
Texas, if every dollar counts (and why shouldn't it), you can try re-negociating the Cayenne without ED. The dealer has to pay $3000 for ED (although they get allocated an extra car), so if you are bargaining under MSRP it seems the cost basically comes out of your discounts from threads I have read elsewhere.

I read from some angry "New Boxster" buyers in another forum, that they negotiated good discounts on that brand new in demand model ... but then were refused either ED, or the discounts. I.e. they could not get both.

Very good point Steve. The Euro delivery had not come into the equation when we started on the pricing, nor were we set on the ED until we could drive the diesel and see when we could schedule the ED on both ours and Porsche side. I just put that in to attract the wife more and of course it would be fun.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:44 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

^^^^^^^

NC -

I will be interested - so give me a zing. I would like to go to N C this time of the year .
Old 08-20-2012, 01:30 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mercedes might have tempting deals, but just look at how many of them are on the road. If you ever plan to resale in the future, surely that's going to take into play on its resale value compared to Cayenne.

I test drove both and based on the driving dynamics, the choice was obvious. Not blinded by the Porsche brand of anything, but seeing how the Cayenne took a fast turn on highway on-ramp, I was sold.

Quick Reply: Can I get a discount on new diesel Cayenne?