Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I get a discount on new diesel Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sad to see Porsche selling so many of these things, they may decide to stop making sports cars....

Hope you folks can recognize the sarcasm.....
Old 08-22-2012, 12:37 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Sad to see Porsche selling so many of these things, they may decide to stop making sports cars....

Hope you folks can recognize the sarcasm.....

I do . But the dealer doesnt. They say if they did not have the Cayenne and the Panamera that they would be in line at the Hyundai dealer.

They said the money from the Cayenne and Pan helped them improve the 911. I said "How?" I never did hear any real answer LOL.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:45 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard the same thing; specifically, the Cayenne saved the Porsche bottom line. That's probably substantive to why VAG decided to reverse the Porsche-VW buyout. Now instead of Porsche owning VW, VW owns Porsche. But if they've come up with a new name, I missed it. Possibly VAG/Porsche?

Side note: My Cayenne diesel is ready to pick up in Nashville, I'll probably go get it Friday.

//greg//
Old 08-22-2012, 01:55 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

That and of course Porcshe and its execs got caught in the back door stock game.

But great for your Cayenne -
Old 08-22-2012, 02:05 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It certainly allowed them to fund messing up the steering feel.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:30 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by endless_corners
It certainly allowed them to fund messing up the steering feel.
From my perspective, that remains to be seen. This Cayenne will be my first Porsche, but it's a shared platform with the Touareg I currently drive. I've got no problem with the Touareg steering, and I anticipate the Porsche Servotronic upgrade to be even better

//greg//
Old 08-22-2012, 02:50 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i mean the 911.. a lot of die hard fans didn't like the feel of the new electronic steering. I love the feel of my cayenne though.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:39 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Well, that may be an inevitable pill that you'll eventually have to swallow. If you've flown anywhere in the last 10 years, good chance it was on a fly-by-wire plane. I've been seeing drive-by-wire features on cars for at least the last 6 years. Pretty sure that it won't be long before you'll have to buy "classic" cars if you want to relive the old "feel".

//greg//
Old 08-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by grohgreg
I heard the same thing; specifically, the Cayenne saved the Porsche bottom line. That's probably substantive to why VAG decided to reverse the Porsche-VW buyout. Now instead of Porsche owning VW, VW owns Porsche. But if they've come up with a new name, I missed it. Possibly VAG/Porsche?

Side note: My Cayenne diesel is ready to pick up in Nashville, I'll probably go get it Friday.

//greg//
Hey, mind if I go down and test drive it first? Just call Robert and tell him I'll be down in the morning.

BTW, congrats.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:34 PM
grohgreg
Pro

I think it came with the wrong tires, so it's likely going to be parked a day or two. I specified all-weather Michelins, but they said it came with Contis. The only N-spec 18" Conti for the Cayenne is a max performance summer tire.

//greg//
Old 08-22-2012, 08:58 PM
PN Cal
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, just coming back to the discount. I got six percent at a California dealer on the Diesel (build to order). It wasn't that difficult with that dealer. More difficult to find such a dealer. Initially many dealers were telling me that they were sold out the first orders and they can only give me MRSP. Then suddenly, they were offering $500 or $1000. I clearly went with the 6%.
We were also considering the ML, but after driving and sitting inside, I have to say, it was an easy decision. Mercedes was very easy to ask for invoice only. Maybe even go further down. But this is what will destroy the resale value. Also, look at some features, like the Panoramic roof, can you really compare the Porsche (and actually Audi) to the Mercedes one? Look at the nice Porsche color display in the dashboard, etc. Actually, I think that the new GLK facelift and also the Jeep GC got the nicer interior compared to the ML. A real step back for Mercedes.
Interestingly, in Germany, the Mercedes ML with all the options is more expensive than the Porsche, but wait time for the Cayenne is up to a year and discount is a word that German Porsche dealers do not really know.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:28 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

From the sounds of it, the new structure will allow Porsche to become just another VW brand ala the GM model. I can't see this as a good sign that we're going to essentially have a bunch of re-badged Audis masquerading as Porsches. I do understand that I am supporting this model by buying a Cayenne; at least the Cayenne/Touareg was a shared effort. The new cars appears to be build upon existing lines.

In any event, 6% in CA sounds amazing. I was happy to get close to 5% in the Northeast without too much trouble.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:10 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

They have also owned Lamborghini since a while. From watching Top-Gear, seems the Lambo's are better than ever. The good italian influence is still there, the bad has been Germanized.

Audi's are better as well because of it, see R8!

Lets think positive, worst case we buy ML's next time .... ok lets stick to positive thoughts!!!!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:54 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
i mean the 911.. a lot of die hard fans didn't like the feel of the new electronic steering.
A lot of the die hards said water cooling would destroy the brand too. I haven't driven one with the electronic steering, but I have no complaints with our 996 not being a "real" Porsche.

Originally Posted by alexaqui
From the sounds of it, the new structure will allow Porsche to become just another VW brand ala the GM model.
I can't see this for the 911. There is no VW platform that I am aware of that is rear engine anymore. And I don't think their mid-engine platform is really going to be the basis of the Boxter/Cayman. The Pig has always been a shared platform and that's fine in my opinion since it appeals to a wider market and should be making them some pretty hefty profits.

Personally I think Lambo has been crap since he died and his son took it over, so there wasn't really anything VAG could do except make it better. I'm also not really a fan of the R8 basically being a re-badged Lambo. They should have kept Audi out of that market and left the Lambo brand for the crazy exotic.

In any event, 6% in CA sounds amazing. I was happy to get close to 5% in the Northeast without too much trouble.
Damn! I only got 4% on mine Ah well. I like my salesman (he sold us the 996 too and has helped us out a few times since) so I'm not chuffed. Might have squeezed in that blue interior though
Old 08-23-2012, 12:17 AM
PN Cal
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, don´t be disappointed. Maybe next time you have an issue with your car, your dealer will handle it for free and I might have to pay. Also, I took the Premium Plus but still added the panoramic roof. Now, Porsche is really mean on this. They charge you the full package price and the full price for the panoramic roof, although moonroof is already part of the package so it should only be the difference. So, I argued around this to add another 2% to my initial 4%. The dealer was fully on my side with my arguments.
My delivery will be September 2nd, after nearly 4 months waiting after ordering. Built was on July 13, remaining time is shipping to West Coast.

Quick Reply: Can I get a discount on new diesel Cayenne?