Sponsored by:

Front license plate bracket install interfering with PDC

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 10:38 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Front license plate bracket install interfering with PDC

Has anyone seen this happen before? I just installed a bracket (wifey got a ticket for no front plates). There are no wires that run behind the bumper where the 4 screws are screwed so its not a wiring issue.
I removed the bracket, tested the car and everyhing went back to normal. I put it back on, it starts to beep everytime I come to a full halt, like the system is malfunctioning.
Any ideas??

TIA

Last edited by RajDatta; 07-24-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:09 PM
Orantes
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I ended having a decal made of my front number plate! In oz, our Euro style plates are wide and seem to set the sensors off. The only other alternative was to lower the plate but it looked all wrong.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:20 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

I can't believe Porsche sells a bracket that interferes with a system. My state requires I run a front plate and this constant beep at full stops is going to drive me nuts. There has to be a fix...
Old 07-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Orantes
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See my front plate decal in the below pic. I made the decal about 25% smaller than the original plate which set off the sensors. I have done the same with the front plate on the 928 too.
Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 4109
Size:  85.0 KB
Name:  cropped.JPG
Views: 1946
Size:  111.0 KB
Old 07-24-2012, 10:07 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Orantes, unfortunately we have to run state mandated plates and don't have any options on adjusting it's size. Looks like the sensors are acting up less and less. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:19 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you install an OEM front license plate bracket, in the defined OEM location?

Did you check Loren's site to see if there was a F/W update? I can't remember if there was an update for this module or not.

If it is a CPO vehicle and the front bracket mount/location is OEM, then your dealer should be able to help. If not, then the dealer might fall back on "aftermarket modifications" ... depends on the relationship between you and your dealer.

Odd, first time I've heard of this problem in the P!g Pen ...
Old 07-24-2012, 10:42 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

It is an original Porsche license plate bracket, in its proper factory location. I did speak with the dealer and they wanted me to bring it in. I didn't see it acting up much in the last day or so, so I decided to skip.
Dealer has been great (slipping a few bucks to the service advisor always helps). They swapped my work steering wheel for a brand new one under goodwill.
I will check and see if the problem goes away. I did check Loren's site and what I found there was related to the 1st gen trucks.
What had me upset was, I had to drill holes and when I removed the bracket to test, the problems went away. Wifey rather have holes in bumper than get a ticket! Argh!!
Old 07-24-2012, 01:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Eric at Bumperplugs can help with the holes, no problems there.

It is entirely possible that you have a faulty sensor assembly/alignment ; both of which would be fixed with a warranty replacement.

Just out of curiosity, if you replaced the (metal) license plate with one made of cardboard (non metallic), do you get the same result?
Old 07-24-2012, 01:40 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Eric at Bumperplugs can help with the holes, no problems there.

It is entirely possible that you have a faulty sensor assembly/alignment ; both of which would be fixed with a warranty replacement.

Just out of curiosity, if you replaced the (metal) license plate with one made of cardboard (non metallic), do you get the same result?
Yeah, unfortunately it is never fun when you have to drill holes in a perfect front bumper.

It could be possible that its a faulty sensor. It is currently not acting up, but I am having it checked out today. My CPO warranty runs out early next yr. Want to make sure I get everything sorted out before that.

I could possibly test it by removing the fron plate to see if its the plate or the bracket.

Raj
Old 07-24-2012, 03:11 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

As per dealer, it is an issue with 08's. Looks like Porsche did not anticipate their owners on running license plate frames. The dealer removed the frame as the fix.
09 don't have this issue..

Regards.
Raj
Old 07-24-2012, 03:25 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

09's have the license attached to the center of the grill. No drilling required.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:54 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

here the mounting plate (black)
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2012, 04:18 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pdxjim
09's have the license attached to the center of the grill. No drilling required.
That may be the case with GTS and turbo's but I can't imagine a non turbo having a plate mounted on the grill.
Do you have pics by any chance?

A few pics of a front bracket on an 08.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...item3a7785b6d6

My SUV is 100% identical to this one! Mine has Park Assist though, so additional sensors on each side.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NAVIG...item3cc88e8650
Old 07-24-2012, 04:53 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
As per dealer, it is an issue with 08's. Looks like Porsche did not anticipate their owners on running license plate frames. The dealer removed the frame as the fix.
09 don't have this issue..

Regards.
Raj
If the dealer is correct and if Porsche did indeed configure/sell a US vehicle that does not allow for proper operation when equipped with (legally mandated) front license plates when installed on the OEM mounting bracket, I would have expected at least a TSB if not a mandated recall/fix.

So you would just drive around with the service receipt from your dealer stating that you can NOT run a front license plate...

Bizarre, even for the P!g Pen.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:57 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
If the dealer is correct and if Porsche did indeed configure/sell a US vehicle that does not allow for proper operation when equipped with (legally mandated) front license plates when installed on the OEM mounting bracket, I would have expected at least a TSB if not a mandated recall/fix.

So you would just drive around with the service receipt from your dealer stating that you can NOT run a front license plate...

Bizarre, even for the P!g Pen.
It is, but it looks like it's not the license plate or the bracket but the frame that throws things off. Too sensitive a system? Possibly..

Quick Reply: Front license plate bracket install interfering with PDC