Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When stopped and I turn the wheel.. stuttering sensation felt

Old 05-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Cuba
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same and my tech mentioned that it might be related to the electronics and if so would not be cheap. I ignore it, not too worried unless it gets worse.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:05 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

I somehow doubt that it's related to electronics (mechanics like to throw up the black mystery box theory when they don't have a clue what's really wrong..)

I suspect (and I've had most everything replaced) that there is a bit more compliance in the mounting bushings for the steering rack (one is a rubber through-bushing, the other is a clamp sort of rubber mount) - and when you turn the wheel with the truck not moving, the friction between the tire and the ground is enough that the rack may actually move a tiny but in the bushings in response.. then when the force gets to be enough, the "stiction" of the tire to the surface lets go, and the rack moves back relaxing the bushings/mounts. Repeat and you get a shudder. There may also be some compression/release stuff going on with the wishbone bushings that adds to the fun.

Different tires with different coefficients of friction may cause it to happen to a lesser or greater degree (it won't do it if the tires are on a lower traction surface, like snow, or sand on pavement.)

I think the reason ServoTronic owners notice it more - isn't because of the difference in design, it's because we are more likely to turn the wheel quickly with the vehicle not moving, just because it's so easy to do. I can quite literally go from lock to lock on my P!G with one finger pushing against the spoke of the steering wheel.

Whatever it is - it doesn't actually seem to effect anything except shuddering when not moving. Handling seems fine.. so I've managed to decide to ignore it.

Last edited by deilenberger; 05-30-2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Mselling Pistakes
Old 05-30-2012, 10:08 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI a lot of steering columns were replaced under warranty in the early days for vibration issues
Old 05-31-2012, 05:54 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
FYI a lot of steering columns were replaced under warranty in the early days for vibration issues
They were on the '03-'04 trucks, but I looked up the Service Bulletin on RennTech, and the symptoms are different. I believe they did it ALL the time, not just at rest.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd be mad if it did it all the time.. luckily its just when stopped and I can totally live with it.. knowing its so called normal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When stopped and I turn the wheel.. stuttering sensation felt