Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010-77/)
-   -   When stopped and I turn the wheel.. stuttering sensation felt (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/698644-when-stopped-and-i-turn-the-wheel-stuttering-sensation-felt.html)

endless_corners 05-26-2012 05:17 AM

When stopped and I turn the wheel.. stuttering sensation felt

With my cayenne there is this peculiar behavior when i turn the wheel while not in motion.. I.E. turning around from a stopped position.. any time the wheels need to turna bunch.

There is not extra effort required to turn the wheel it doesn't really groan.. its just that there is this stuttering sensation thats communicated through the steering wheel. Hard to describe but there is this staccato vibration I feel when turning the wheels side to side while parked with the car on. Not sure If I am making sense or if anyone else has experienced this. Thoughts?

Andy E. 05-26-2012 11:25 AM

Stock rims & tires?

ALEV8 05-26-2012 12:57 PM

AWD CVs pop a little depending on wheel and tire combo and pavement....

mudman2 05-26-2012 01:12 PM

2 things come to mind

1 - the servotronic steering pulses
2 - Certain tires grip and release when turing without motion

endless_corners 05-26-2012 02:38 PM

I am running 18" stock wheels and tire size. Sounds like exactly what you fellas are describing. It would be a bit disconcerting if it wasn't normal.

deilenberger 05-26-2012 04:32 PM

It's "normal" - pretty much. I posted about this over a year ago.. so far:

1. Flush/change PS fluid - no effect. It was sorta stinky, but nice fresh stuff did nothing.
2. New Power-Steering pump - no effect. Fluid got changed again.
3. New steering rack and tie-rod ends - no effect. Fluid got changed yet again.
4. Three different sets of tires (Michelin-Latitudes - original tires; Perilli Scorpion snows - brand new; Continental DWS - brand new) - no effect. All 275-45-19's. Interesting people have it with the 18" considerably skinnier rubber.
5. Complete 4 wheel alignment (done when #3 was installed) - no effect.

It just does it. Since it doesn't do it when the truck is moving (and on certain surfaces with less grip), I'm putting it down to some flexing in the suspension bushings. Might see about getting those done sometime. Or not. If you watch the port-side wheel when turning the steering wheel you can see it shuddering.

One friend who is a P-tech (on the west coast) told me some of them do it with the Michelin tires right from new. He also made some mention of the lower control arm bushings being worth looking at - but since I have no other symptoms of them being marginal, I'm ignoring them for the moment.

Do you have Servotronic steering (the speed sensitive boost)? I'm making a WAG that since it's SO easy to twirl the wheel stop to stop with the Servotronic that we notice it more. Or something. Or maybe not.

Thank Dog for CPO though..

I've learned to pretty much ignore it. It's "character"..

endless_corners 05-26-2012 05:34 PM

Wow, you really gave it at the office trying to solve the mystery and it sounds kinda pricey. Did you have another issue at large?

You are describing it perfectly though.. which puts my mind at rest a bit.

How do i find out if I have servotronic steering? My particular S seems to have a lot of the options. I need to get the build sheet one of these days.

Edward 96 Viper GTS 05-26-2012 11:21 PM

How do we get the build sheets?
Ed

mudman2 05-26-2012 11:23 PM

PM me the vins

Edward 96 Viper GTS 05-27-2012 01:31 AM

Mudman2, pm sent.
Thanks!

deilenberger 05-27-2012 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by endless_corners (Post 9563079)
Wow, you really gave it at the office trying to solve the mystery and it sounds kinda pricey. Did you have another issue at large?

No - that's why I bless CPO warranty. No other issues really (had some early teething problems with starting that got fixed under CPO for a small fortune.)

You are describing it perfectly though.. which puts my mind at rest a bit.

How do i find out if I have servotronic steering? My particular S seems to have a lot of the options. I need to get the build sheet one of these days.
Can you easily twirl the wheel lock to lock with the car idling - with one or two fingers? If so - you have Servotronic. It's a speed variable boost - lots of boost at no-speed/low-speeds, less boost as you go faster. BMW had the same option which never seemed to work as well IMHO (owned/own lots of BMWs), and I'm sure Mercedes has it also. I didn't like it at first - but now when I get into my wife's BMW-Touring, I really miss it. Not so much with my BMW M-Coupe - the very direct feel of that car really suits it.

JakarM 05-30-2012 02:48 AM

This was a "problem" I thought i had with my car. It was more like a vibration/ buzzing noise when I would turn the steering wheel all the way to the left/ right. When I took it to the dealer to have it looked at, I was told it was normal- I also have servotronic.

Orantes 05-30-2012 05:31 AM

Mine does it too. I have Servotronic as well.

steph280 05-30-2012 01:46 PM

I've notice that on my 2012 as well, and it only has 800 miles to date. Mine has servotronic as well.

endless_corners 05-30-2012 02:09 PM

With some help from mud - I got my build options codes and I have only power steering and not servotronic.