Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04-06 CAYENNE compared to BMW X5 compared to ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 07:37 PM
herman maire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04-06 CAYENNE compared to BMW X5 compared to ???

I currently have 05 BMW X5, its a great machine . I got the 3.0l X5 to save on fuel but it uses as much fuel as my full size 05 Range Rover. How would you compare the X5 to the cayenne S ? Is it worth the changing and getting a cayenne just for a change? Did the cayenne live up to your expectations?

Are the cayenne's rust proofed as well as the 911 ( galvanized metal ect...) ? . The 911's seem to never rust. Do the steel subframes rust ect....
I looked at a base model cayenne V6 and was pretty disappointed with the interior. Is the cayenne S much better?

I know of all the typical problems ( drive shaft , cooling pipes ect...) I am not worried about stuff like that. Are the "S" motors reliable ? I heard some funny problems with piston wear problems . Are the transmissions good units in these years ?

After owning a cayenne are they so good that you would buy another or would you just move on to something else? If yes what?? Would really appreciate real world experience with the cayenne . I was also thinking of the BMW x5 Diesel .

Thanks

Last edited by herman maire; 05-20-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:24 AM
herman maire
Racer

I know its not a exiting topic but would really appreciate some real world opinions .
Old 05-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Speaking of comparing cars is subjective. Drive both. The X5 is a great car but for me the Cayenne S felt more right, plus I like the way they used to look(03-10). I found the Cayenne V6 to be a bit underpowered for me but for some it is more than enough. My S gives me most of the power I want but will probably move to a Turbo next. As far as the interior they are all the same outside of things like Navigation. A base v6 may not have nav and it almost certainly will not have the switches for air ride etc. The seating surfaces may not be the same. Turbos and GTS's have nicer seating surfaces.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:49 AM
renaissance.man
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it is worth, I think you would get a better response if you did not ask so many questions at once in paragraph form

Here is my take on most of your questions...

Originally Posted by herman maire
Did the cayenne live up to your expectations?
Yes. Met and exceeded all of my expectations by a great deal.

Are the cayenne's rust proofed as well as the 911 ( galvanized metal ect...) ? .
Yes - double-dipped galvanized chassis. One of the main reasons I got it with all the snow and road salt in the NE

Do the steel subframes rust ect....
Not sure if they have the same level of corrosion resistance, however, Porsche offers free replacement of any part failing due to rusting for 10 years - regardless of warranty coverage

I looked at a base model cayenne V6 and was pretty disappointed with the interior. Is the cayenne S much better?
No, not really. The first gen Cayenne's interior is one of its weakest points. I got a Turbo which had all leather and alcantara. The two tone interior with wood grain helped out alot, however, it is still pretty much the same.

Are the transmissions good units in these years ?
Haven't heard of any transmission problems that wasn't related to something bolting on 650+ HP to a turbo model. These transmissions handle 500hp+ on a daily basis on a turbo + plus handle towing, so they have to be robust from the factory.

After owning a cayenne are they so good that you would buy another or would you just move on to something else?
For me, there is nothing else that offers the same level of performance, cargo capacity, towing, and severe weather/offroad capability as a Cayenne. I pretty much drive it like a sports car 98% of the time. If you don't need all the performance or offroad part, then save some $$$ and get the X5
Old 05-21-2012, 12:32 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not that this a perfect comparison but I had an '07 X3 3.0si, currently for suv's i have a '99ml (beach car seats 7) and an 04 cayenne S with full leather package and almost all options but rear climate. The cayenne is my favorite road trip car ever. It just brings so much to the table. Some spirited dirt road driving proved how amazing it is off Tarmac too. I have driven up and down the northern California redwood highway many times in it and it just makes the miles melt away. *It's completely civilized until you push it and then it's right there for you. So much sharper and more precise than it should be for how heavy it is. *I paid nearly 65% less for my used cayenne than my new at the time x3 and I feel the cayenne is better in almost every way. I would caution to insist on finding one with the air suspension. Basically I Feel zero buyer's remorse and I even inherited plastic coolant pipes and a sticking valve body. If you can afford to hit the $27-30k range than there are some decent turbos to be had. I paid 17k for my loaded s with 95k miles fwiw. So much car for the money -- love it.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:20 PM
herman maire
Racer

Thanks for the reply's, very appreciated.

I went to look at 6 cayennes yesterday. All the 04's were in such poor condition I was not even interested in sitting in them. Its unreal how owners can treat such a nice machine so badly. The caramel tan interior that porsche used is horrible, what were they thinking.

Also looked at an 08 cayenne "S" , was in very nice condition but the interior on an 05 turbo was quite a bit nicer.

I hate to say it but I was most impressed with an 07 Audi Q7, interior was beautiful.

Thanks again, still have a lot to think about.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:48 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

see my sig
Old 05-24-2012, 12:58 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

I find Marine Blue to be an elegant color
Especially with tan interior
Old 05-24-2012, 12:59 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

No regrets in buying this Cayenne.
Will buy another.
Constantly referring friends, relatives, people I meet at the gas pumps to our Porsche centre to buy their Cayenne.
The only reason I could think of to get the Q7 over the Cayenne is to get the extra seating capacity if you need it.
Otherwise, get the Cayenne and live without regrets again!
Old 05-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 895 Posts

Our '04 Cayenne has been great. It has exceeded our expectations. It has 105K miles on the clock. It's comfortable and luxurious. I'll buy another one when the time comes.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:26 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought an '04 S that was in MINT condition. I think there are definitely some nice specimens to be had out there. This one was a custom build/euro delivery, one owner cayenne with records and was very affordable. Still if you need the interior space a q7 will have more but it feels bigger to drive to me. Ironically my old ML has way more usable space than my cayenne, weighs less, and seats 7 but does not drive ANYTHING remotely like the porsche.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:01 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

My only regret was not getting a Cayenne sooner.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:32 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

I have the X5 4.8i and an 04CTT. Love both and so does my wife. I regret not getting a Cayenne earlier as well and will buy a gen 2 to be sure. I'll also buy another x5 someday.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:22 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

I just sold our X5 4.8is last night. Now the hunt for a replacement begins. No more American-made BMWs for me.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:50 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Some squeakiness inside but a solid performer.....

Quick Reply: 04-06 CAYENNE compared to BMW X5 compared to ???