reversing camera

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 05:10 PM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jochy
Chris51080,
Are you sure running the cable to the PCM is the easiest part?
The cable is subjected to tear near the front seat safety belt, specially trying to hiding it thru the scuff plate trims. Trims can be lifted and wires pressed thru along, like Cd changer harness route... It turns out pretty hard near the back seat area...

In the rear is a matter of finding the reverse light wire harness to power up one of the transmitter/receiver module. In the front is the same with the other module, the PCM power line would be the right one.

IMHO is more of a local connection thing rather than fighting all the way thru the trims of the car from rear to front.

If somebody has done this part of the job with only one beer... then that's what I would call "the easiest part" of the project
Really, I found removing the interior trim off of the rear hatch, or fishing the wiring from the CD changer area, up the D-pillar and into the hatch, much more difficult than routing the wire to the PCM.
Yes, there are issues to be aware of as you mentioned; however I found them fairly easy to deal with.
All told, running that wire was a 15 minute job.

If someone were uncomfortable routing a wire through their cabin, then the wireless route may be good for them. I'd still avoid it personally, as I see nothing to gain by doing it.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:23 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

When I did my Mobridge install, I installed it in the back since I was pulling the CD changer anyway and their would be a MOST plug now open. The one thing I had to run to the front was the cable for the Mic. I pulled the headliner away by the Sunroof and fished a coat hanger down there, pulled the back of the headliner down by the hatch and between the two and a little fishing I was able to pull the Mic all the way up. They supplied at least 6' of cable with it anyway so their must have had the idea it may be installed like that.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:58 AM
Jochy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just can't believe I'm refusing to route the cable from hatch to PCM....when last year I did by myself a modest really clean and nice coolant pipe job.
...Shame on me.

I just don't want to break some of those trims look kind of fragile. Anyway the Tx/Rx are in their way coming home in the next few days, I'm a bit reluctant to expect good quality of signal coming from a Chinese module... anyway chances are 50/50.

Every time those Tx/Rx comes to my mind...it reminds me those Jordan era NY Knicks playoff games vs CHI Bulls....fighting and fighting like an "facing upward" kitten.....and at the end...you lose the game.
Maybe gonna end up doing the wired way.
Lets see
Old 02-18-2014, 01:12 AM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

The trim is more resilient than you think.

Good luck either way.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:25 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I would just worry a little about the Cayenne being such and Electrically driven/based machine that you would get or give extra interference from the module or get interference from other systems.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:26 PM
Irisheyes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mefis
Hahnmgh63: I want to enable my PCM2.1 head unit for an aftermarket camera (installing the fakra cable) but my dealership here in Oregon is clueless about it, i tried to explain your post but he looked like a donkey in front of a piano. can you recommend the dealership that gave you this recoding service? post their invoice or something that would let these guys know that this is possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Going through the exact scenario with my dealership. Clueless. Told me they never did one before and it could take more than half a day to code because they have to go through Porsche to reprogram the PCM. I'm at a loss as to how to explain this to them that from what I'm hearing it's a very simple quick think to do. Were you successful in getting yours enabled and what did you finally have to tell them? Thanks
Old 05-28-2014, 01:53 AM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Irisheyes
Going through the exact scenario with my dealership. Clueless. Told me they never did one before and it could take more than half a day to code because they have to go through Porsche to reprogram the PCM. I'm at a loss as to how to explain this to them that from what I'm hearing it's a very simple quick think to do. Were you successful in getting yours enabled and what did you finally have to tell them? Thanks
Call another dealer or Indy mechanic.
Coding the PCM to accept the backup camera input is a 15 minute process.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:38 AM
Irisheyes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chris51080
Call another dealer or Indy mechanic.
Coding the PCM to accept the backup camera input is a 15 minute process.

Chris, I've got a great Indy mechanic with the professional Durametric. Do you know that the video input can be enabled with the Durametric?
Old 05-28-2014, 04:14 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Only a PIWIS thing.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:37 PM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Had my PCM2.1 coded for video function the last time it was at the dealer. The service writer thought I didn't know what I was asking for, but fortunately the tech knew it was a simple PIWIS function. I now have the functionality, but no camera yet. I just need to find a camera that actually fits correctly and then run the wires.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:35 PM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

Nothing readily available really fits "correctly". At least not from what I found last year when I was doing my research.

The cleanest option was to replace the lift gate handle with one from a VW SUV (Tiguan I believe) that had the camera built in, but I could never get the correct measurements to see if it would fit.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Nimesh Udani
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Chris51080,

For the cleanest option do you recommend this one? http://car-solutions.com/en/tailgate...en-touareg.php

I am really desperate to get my 06 cayenne with a backup camera as I accidentally drove into my handyman's truck over the weekend. Luckily just a few bruises on both of our trucks! :-)

The fakra cable I shall buy from ebay is this one...http://www.ebay.com/itm/150967458695

Also, I can't get any local dealer here in S. California to do the PIWIS coding for less $160/hr. They all want 1 hour minimum. Any recommendations? Thank you all.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:39 PM
Rossi
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

I have 09 gts, I believe PCM 3.0
No back up camera from the factory.
Is this the same process as the older systems?
I read the entire thread. I believe the first step is to have the PCM coded by the dealer to activate the backup camera
then have it all wired and connected.
It would be so cool to have one.

I really like this one..... full color day & night.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281141751398?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by Rossi; 07-07-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:25 AM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nimesh Udani
Hi Chris51080,

For the cleanest option do you recommend this one? http://car-solutions.com/en/tailgate...en-touareg.php

I am really desperate to get my 06 cayenne with a backup camera as I accidentally drove into my handyman's truck over the weekend. Luckily just a few bruises on both of our trucks! :-)

The fakra cable I shall buy from ebay is this one...http://www.ebay.com/itm/150967458695

Also, I can't get any local dealer here in S. California to do the PIWIS coding for less $160/hr. They all want 1 hour minimum. Any recommendations? Thank you all.
That is the camera I wanted to use, but never got measurements to verify it would work. You'd be the guinea pig if you tried it.

That is the same FAKRA cable that I used. Be sure to tape the RCA connections together.

For the PIWIS programming, it's hit and miss. I've had my local SA hook it up to my car for diagnostics free of charge; I've also had to pay the one hour rate.
Maybe try an Indy shop.

Rossi, PCM 3.0 is quite different if I recall correctly. Do some homework, but I believe it requires a separate kit, like nav-tv.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Irisheyes
Intermediate

Ok, so I have found a dealer more than willing to activate the video input on my PCM 2.1 for the backup cam I installed via fakra cable to the video plug on the back of the PCM. They said it would be 1/2 hour labor charge. Only problem is, they said they need to know what channel to activate? They can do it real quick but they need to know what channel. I have no clue what that means so if anybody does that has gotten this activated, please let me know so I can finally get this aftermarket backup cam thing working. Thanks!

Quick Reply: reversing camera