Sponsored by:

For anyone that also has the Vagcom program

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 06:43 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Default For anyone that also has the Vagcom program

I am an Audi owner (couple of them) so I own the Vagcom program and was told by a friend that it also will do most things on newer Porsches even though they don't endorse it so I tried it. It does most things better than the overpriced Durametric I paid almost twice as much for and Vagcom has no 5 Vin limits. I've always wondered why Durametric was such crap and why for the extra money it couldn't be half of what Vagcom is? I will probably use Vagcom on my Pig more than I'll ever use the Durametric.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:08 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow what a weird rant. Vagcom never worked on Cayenne before so Durametric was the only game in town and works well.

I think an informative announcement would have sufficed instead of acting like a @#$%
Old 03-27-2012, 10:03 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I wonder how well it "works"

Reading codes? Maybe, how about coding modules and adaptations?

Last I heard that this would corrupt a module and would require a reset of it.

Pulling the power to the module would not clear this corruptions as it was written to nvram or flash or something.

How you would reset a module in this state as I thought it would then no longer be recognize as working by the car, piwis, vag-com, durametric, whatever. A reset would be beyond me.

To the original poster, are you sure it "works"

Other's experience is why I don't dare hook it to my car.

Also if ross-tech could have another market, I think s/he would have published it by now.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:07 AM
bfly
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
I think an informative announcement would have sufficed instead of acting like a @#$%
How is that being an @#$%? Unless you are the maker of Durametric, I don't see the why one would take offense. I have Vagcom as well and agree that Durametric is too expensive.
The following users liked this post:
TheWhiteStig (03-05-2023)
Old 03-27-2012, 10:11 AM
touareg
Drifting

So since things may have changed google for a minute, found this on a message board.

--- On Sat, 1/16/10, Artur Da Silva <arturdasilva@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [VAG-COM] Cayenne - head-light adjustment
To: VAG-COM@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, January 16, 2010, 12:24 AM

Â

I might be wrong but some time ago I tried my vcds on a cayenne and could
only communicate with engine, transmission and abs.

after i used an adaptor to connect my vcds lead to the cayenne but instead using
pin 7 as the K line I inserted the k line wire on pin 3 and vcds communicated
with all the remaining systems.

give it a try and let us know.

============ ========= ========= ========= =

Message Received: Jan 14 2010, 11:11 PM

To: VAG-COM@yahoogroups .com

Cc:

Subject: Re: [VAG-COM] Cayenne - head-light adjustment

IIRC, some of the older Touaregs used 29 and 39 instead of 55. Give

that a try.

-Uwe-

Deborah Sibley wrote:

> FWIW I tried to scan an '06 Toureg 55-Xenon Range last week ....no

> communication.

>

> best regards,

>

> Byron.

>

> On 14-Jan-10, at 11:54 AM, jankovicsasha wrote:
Old 03-27-2012, 10:19 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Originally Posted by bfly
How is that being an @#$%? Unless you are the maker of Durametric, I don't see the why one would take offense. I have Vagcom as well and agree that Durametric is too expensive.
The wording was angry. I am not arguing the pros and cons of either, I don't care.

You his brother ?, sounds like your related
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2012, 10:45 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

I'll ignore the comments from the peanut gallery and I don't know yet if it will recode but it will clear codes the same as Durametric and for those that know of Vagcom know the interface is much easier to use.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:58 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Good edit
Old 03-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Who/where can you get the Vagcom and will it work on an '06 "S".

How about a '97 993? (not holding out much hope on this one)
Old 03-27-2012, 01:03 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

will not work on 955 / 957 for sure, never on 993

"4.11 Does Ross-Tech make diagnostic software for other makes of cars?

We do not currently have plans to develop manufacturer-specific software for any other makes of cars, but of course, all plans are subject to change. Current versions of VCDS can be used as a generic OBD-II scanner on many other makes of cars. Click here for more info.

Porsche: Although Porsche SE and Volkswagen AG have taken steps to merge, Porsche still does diagnostics quite differently than VW so VCDS does not do OEM diagnostics on most Porsche systems. However, we've heard good things about Durametric's Diagnostic Tool for Porsche."

And just because my office is 5 minutes or so from their office does not make me a stake holder
Old 03-27-2012, 02:40 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Who/where can you get the Vagcom and will it work on an '06 "S".

How about a '97 993? (not holding out much hope on this one)
Vag-Com is made by ross-tech.

If you have a VW/Audi, its a great tool and well polished.

Cable goes for about $120 or so.

The problem, if you want to call it that, is Porsche implements the can-bus differently than VW/Audi and I think that is what causes the issues.

So far every module I have had to deal with on my cayenne is a VW/Audi part, and in many cases the same exact module as my Touareg. Trailer hitch and Kessy module for example.

However, I have heard of people locking up their modules with vag-com, and it doesnt seem worth the risk.

It would be nice if Durametric and Ross-tech could team up and make a super cable with adapters for the different wiring on the ODBII port.

Only other Porsche's I have had are the 944 951 and 968, and those were too old for coding, other than the DME maybe, so can't speak to the 911 question.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:03 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

I will say that I am running the latest Ross Tech software, and using one of the newest cables (HEX+CAN). With that said I'm just trying to pass on what another lister told me from a conversation that he had with a Ross Tech employee and what I have since learned. Hopefully he will see this thread and throw his two cents in from his conversation. I would not recommend anyone to go out and purchase this without borrowing it from a friend or until more members with it can try it on different years and configurations. My "955" is a '06 Turbo S, and I had communication with the Engine, Transmission, ABS Brakes, Seat Memory, Auto HVAC, Central Electric, Airbags, Steering wheel, Can Gateway, Auto Roof, Level Control, Seat memory (Drivers), & Park Assist. I didn't run every module as it would have taken a long time and I didn't have a charger handy. Vagcom did not have communications with the PCM. It makes sense to me that a certain amount of the language that must meet certain OBDII standards would be similar to whatever the manufacturers would use. As Touareg said, it may be because our Cayennes have much more in common with VW's than Porsches except obviously the Nav, and curiously the engine (which Vagcom had communications with). I was able to clear a couple of repeat codes that I have, and intermittent Level Control Pressure sensor, and a couple of HVAC flap & motor codes (need to fix those one of these days). It did show VCID #'s and component coding but I did not attempt any of these. I thought this might be something useful to throw in some peoples bags of tricks but obviously someone with Durametric stock was offended. I hope this helps someone and I will slowly experiment with it as time goes on but I'm also hoping newer purpose built Durametric version keep improving for our vehicles although it looks now like the last couple of #6 versions are more oriented to fixes for the newer vehicles.
Lastly, if your not interested in this why don't you keep your nose out of it instead of just being rude, it doesn't help the list or expand anyone's tech capabilites. Basically throwing out internet profanity to something your obviously not an expert on doesn't do anyone here any good, were just trying to share experiences, ideas, and some hopefully helpful knowledge gained.
I quote from the statement above "Current versions of VCDS can be used as a generic OBD-II scanner on many other makes of cars", and possibly even more for us due to the VW involvement?
Old 03-27-2012, 08:35 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

As I said, the manufacturer are very close to where I am. They do not recommend and will accept NO liability for any damage you do to your car. If the rumors are true then frying various parts of the system could prove disastrously expensive to repair since it would most likely mean module replacement and not re flashing from PIWIS.

Using it as a reader most likely will be fine same as any of the $99 scanners from you can get.

You want to take this risk go for it but don't try to convince others to do so and potentially damage their vehicles without concrete information that they will not.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:50 PM
touareg
Drifting

Just curious if anyone has tried this since, and did they just do a scan for all modules at all addresses?

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
I will say that I am running the latest Ross Tech software, and using one of the newest cables (HEX+CAN). With that said I'm just trying to pass on what another lister told me from a conversation that he had with a Ross Tech employee and what I have since learned. Hopefully he will see this thread and throw his two cents in from his conversation. I would not recommend anyone to go out and purchase this without borrowing it from a friend or until more members with it can try it on different years and configurations. My "955" is a '06 Turbo S, and I had communication with the Engine, Transmission, ABS Brakes, Seat Memory, Auto HVAC, Central Electric, Airbags, Steering wheel, Can Gateway, Auto Roof, Level Control, Seat memory (Drivers), & Park Assist. I didn't run every module as it would have taken a long time and I didn't have a charger handy. Vagcom did not have communications with the PCM. It makes sense to me that a certain amount of the language that must meet certain OBDII standards would be similar to whatever the manufacturers would use. As Touareg said, it may be because our Cayennes have much more in common with VW's than Porsches except obviously the Nav, and curiously the engine (which Vagcom had communications with). I was able to clear a couple of repeat codes that I have, and intermittent Level Control Pressure sensor, and a couple of HVAC flap & motor codes (need to fix those one of these days). It did show VCID #'s and component coding but I did not attempt any of these. I thought this might be something useful to throw in some peoples bags of tricks but obviously someone with Durametric stock was offended. I hope this helps someone and I will slowly experiment with it as time goes on but I'm also hoping newer purpose built Durametric version keep improving for our vehicles although it looks now like the last couple of #6 versions are more oriented to fixes for the newer vehicles.
Lastly, if your not interested in this why don't you keep your nose out of it instead of just being rude, it doesn't help the list or expand anyone's tech capabilites. Basically throwing out internet profanity to something your obviously not an expert on doesn't do anyone here any good, were just trying to share experiences, ideas, and some hopefully helpful knowledge gained.
I quote from the statement above "Current versions of VCDS can be used as a generic OBD-II scanner on many other makes of cars", and possibly even more for us due to the VW involvement?
Old 11-11-2016, 02:35 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

You could just get an iCarScan - which has specific Porsche implementation - and reads all the modules on my 2011 turbo just fine.

I've also given it a shot on some BMW's - works great, and wife's Lexus - also works great. Around $200 (Google it), uses software from Launch diagnostics, works with an Android phone, so it goes in the drivers pocket of the Porsche and stays there. My Durametric sits at home, about unused. And yes - the iCarScan sets/resets service warnings just fine. And there is no VIN limitation (5 manufacturers - of your choice - are included with it, with 1 year of free updates.) It also offers activations, and some coding ability.

Quick Reply: For anyone that also has the Vagcom program