04-05 Turbo Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Mattko454
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04-05 Turbo Questions

Howdy, new member here.

I am considering buying an 04-05 Cayenne Turbo. I'd like a little advice from the people that know them best. Do all the turbos have air suspension and rear locking diff?

Does anyone take theirs off-road? I plan to use it as an overlander/extra vehicle.

Are there any major issues I should know about? My friend has a Touareg and says they are very similar and that there is potential for electrical problems...

What is a good price to pay for one with an average amount of miles? And where is a good place to find one? I saw an '04 on craigslist selling for $16.2, but I think it might have been a scam.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Matt
Old 03-25-2011, 04:15 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

scam scam scam..........air, yes.........rear locking diff......yes.......top of the line models.

People probably cruise, trail ride, and hunt........this isnt a rock crawler though......

go back and read the first few posts on known issues..........
Old 03-25-2011, 05:11 PM
mmmbeer
Racer

Lockable center diff is standard on the 03-06 Cayenne Turbo. But the locking rear diff is an option included in the off road package and is not standard. Air suspension is standard.

The EBD (electronic brake differential) "simulate" front and rear locking diffs, by using the brakes to ensure drive force gets to both wheels of the axle under slippery conditions. It works and is good for street use, but actual locking diffs are usually prefered for sustained off-road use.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:06 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I would take the '05 if you can find it over the '04 is the price isn't too much more as their were a few improvements & recalls incorporated, a couple more standard equip items and the '05 had the improved PCM 2.1 which is still supported with newer maps and the software was updated just a few years ago.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:21 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mmmbeer
Lockable center diff is standard on the 03-06 Cayenne Turbo. But the locking rear diff is an option included in the off road package and is not standard. Air suspension is standard.

The EBD (electronic brake differential) "simulate" front and rear locking diffs, by using the brakes to ensure drive force gets to both wheels of the axle under slippery conditions. It works and is good for street use, but actual locking diffs are usually prefered for sustained off-road use.

I am having trouble finding out what is true. I have emailed a few porsche dealers about thier Cayenne Turbos. I am looking for one with locking rear diff. Two dealers have told me theirs have the locking rear as it was standard on Turbo and Turbo S but then I see it only with off-road package.

What is correct?

-Dana
Old 03-31-2011, 03:10 AM
mmmbeer
Racer

The confusion is that some people think the standard locking diff is the rear one. When it actually is low range and lockable center diff which are standard. You could easily determine if the dealer knows a from b by asking a few smart follow-up questions. If the dealer do not know that the vehicle have a center differential or what this is; assume he is an (car)idiot.

My sources in addition to having a 06 Cayenne Turbo without offroad package and no rear locking diff:

1: MY06 Brochure, page 84. Describing the off-road package. And page 82 describing the standard "Off-road performance"

2: The rocker switch in the center console of the car. There is a pattern symbolizing two axles and a center shaft. When you flip the switch to off-road it illuminates the lights which are applicable. First the light for low range, then the light for center locking diff. And if you have the extra equipment, then the light for the rear diff. The hole for the third light is there, but it does not illuminate on the standard turbo.

The off road package is easiest identified by the large button beside the rocker switch which is used to engage/disengage the anti-roll bars. This is a function in the off-road package and is also not standard on the Cayenne Turbo.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:49 PM
Pavesi
Intermediate

My 06 turbo S has no locking rear diff.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:11 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

In order to have the locking rear diff as well as the front you need the Off Road package.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Brit6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are the 2 options:

PB2 Adv Offroad Tech Pack w/PTM

Includes Hydraulically disconnectable front and rear off road stabilizer bars, electronically controlled rear axle differential lock, rocker panel protection with integrated skid plates, reinforced engine skid plate, headlamp washer system, second tow lug, and additional protection for the fuel tank and rear axle. (Use this code when Off Road Design Package is not desired).

PB4 Adv Offroad Tech Pack w/PTM

Same equipment as PB2. (Use this code when ordering the Off Road Design Package).

Quick Reply: 04-05 Turbo Questions